OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 14:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi genie!

Welcome to the forum!! 8)

Nice to see you are taking up the sport! It always great to do active things, and TT is a sport where you can see a lot of tangible growth! There is so many different ways to hit and serve! In tennis (which I also play) there is really only 2 serves, and in TT, how many? Hmmm, this could create arguments!

The guys in the forum are always willing to give technical or equipment advice!

We look forward to hearing from you!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 04:47 

Hi everyone,

My name is Balazs and I'm hungarian. I'm living in Finland tho, but that's a long story.
I started playing TT with my friend in high school and after playing 2 years with a cheap Joola setup I got more interested in it.
I didn't really play in the last 1-2 years however, mainly because of jobs and moving and so on.
I'm just getting back to playing with my friend again. Maybe a bit later I'll join some local club.

My profession is interior furniture making so of course I experimented with TT blade making, my blades turned out pretty good (based on my friends opinion who used them in amateur leagues, so not professional opinion)

I found this forum when I tried to find some information about different manufacturers and retail stores.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 22:20 

basatosaw wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Balazs and I'm hungarian. I'm living in Finland tho, but that's a long story.
I started playing TT with my friend in high school and after playing 2 years with a cheap Joola setup I got more interested in it.
I didn't really play in the last 1-2 years however, mainly because of jobs and moving and so on.
I'm just getting back to playing with my friend again. Maybe a bit later I'll join some local club.

My profession is interior furniture making so of course I experimented with TT blade making, my blades turned out pretty good (based on my friends opinion who used them in amateur leagues, so not professional opinion)

I found this forum when I tried to find some information about different manufacturers and retail stores.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 22:21 

Hi, where in Finland do you live ?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2016, 13:33 

Hi guys, I'm Matt from Virginia, USA, rated between 1800 and 1900 in the US rating system. I teach at a boarding school where I also started a table tennis team. My style used to be BH/FH balanced all-round attack, but recently I decided to switch to defense because it allows me to open up my game in new ways, forces me to build better technique, and gives me a better workout, which I need more now that I'm over 30.

For my first defensive blade I chose the Victas Koji Matsushita over the Joo Se Hyuk because I wanted a blade that I would really have to chop more with. Long pips on the backhand have been great so far, but I have a forehand issue with the VKM. A couple years ago I switched to hard, tacky Chinese rubber (DHS Hurricane 3 Neo) that really brought my game to a higher level by punishing my bad form leading me to move to a more Chinese style "whole-arm and body" forehand topspin.

The problem is that this hard tacky Chinese rubber does NOT work with the VKM blade at all. I like the chop, but I think I'll need something else on the forehand. That's where I am right now in my game, and that has led me to the OOAK forums. Nice to meet you all, and I wish you all great success in your table tennis pursuits!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2016, 01:14 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
Hi guys, my name is Vasil and I'm from Bulgaria. I've been playing in our local club for about three years. And before that I lived in Russia (graduated from the university there) and also started playing table tennis there (with a coach). I'm an allround player with occasional defence and occasional attack :D . I train twice a week for two hours with my coach and also play with other members of the club a couple of times a week. And also once a week - volleyball :)
In my second life I'm a Python wed developer :)
I've read a lot of things it this forum and I like it a lot. So I'll try to blend in and be useful too :)

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:55 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
Hi,
I've been lurking here for about 3 years.
I live in Utah, USA. I play at work during lunch and afterwards.
I've been playing for about 6 years.
I play an aggressive/attacking push block style.
I have no clue what my level would be.
I am thinking about trying for a tournament in my area, but always seem to miss it.
I stumbled on this forum while trying to figure out how to beat my coworkers.
started using long pips maybe two and a half years after seeing a video that Bogeyhunter posted about Chen Weixing's side swipe return, seeing that was how I was trying to play.
I currently use Black D.tecs ox, Red Razka 7 soft 2.0 on a S&T Firestarter.

P.S. Maybe I'm thick, but I can't see where in the UCP to make a signature.... help?

e

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 15:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Welcome to the forum Belasz, Matt, Vasil and Ehimle!

Ehimile to create a signature, in the UCP click on profile, there it will let you Edit Signature.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 15:11 

Hi everyone.

Accidently found a local TT club in southern Sydney, a great bunch of people that are serious about their play, but very friendly and welcoming as well.

I have been playing for 2 months now, and have learned basic FH and BH strokes thanks to the helpful club members.

I have the worst handicap at the club by a long way. :oops: But I am improving every week - there is sooo much to learn!!!

Unfortunately I am very busy with work and family, and the club night once a week is the only time I get to play. Don't think this is nearly enough to improve, so looking to get a robot soon.

I am late 40's, so hope I have not started too late! (TT is much easier on my body than squash, so I'm happy about that :) )

Regards,
Harrow.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 05:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Welcome Harrow!

I'm Canadian, and us Canadians have a historic kindred spirit to you Australians. But, I'm one of many Canadian TT players who carries a JEALOUSY of how much TT there is in Australia compared to Canada. It seems like there is 10 times more TT in Australia!

Welcome to the Forum!

Lots of great advice here on equipment and tactics!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2016, 07:47 

Hello everyone,

I'm from Canada.
I'm the co-owner of a small (7 tables, one night a week ) club in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada.
I'm 44 and I've been playing since high school.
I pretty much gave it up, except in my friends basements after high school.
Then a couple of years ago a friend invited me to his club.
I was excited to get back at it and looked forward to winning a bunch of matches ( have you heard this before?) the first night I lost every match.
But I am far too competitive to let it end there.
I spent the next 6 months absorbing any and all information about table tennis.
I started recording matches, analyzing the videos. I bought a robot, started working on my serve. Started applying tactics and worked my way up to third I the club of about a dozen players.
The second year I signed up with Brian Pace to improve my techniques.
I had huge improvement with my Fh loop and then there was an issue with Brian's availability, so I continued to try to improve on my own.
I've had some success, but I'm not learning as effectively as I'd like.
So I signed up to TTedge last week.
I have also used The performance psychologists at Metuf.
They really helped my mental game and I am signing up again in a week or so.

My preferred playing style would be two winged looper, but if I watch my match videos
It's more of BH pusher and FH patty caker with some loops thrown in from time to time.

I have 421 rating points which puts me in a ranking position of 1467th in Canada.

I've been creeping this forum for a few years.

Rory.

Last edited by Red Roar on 18 Apr 2016, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2016, 07:57 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Welcome, Red Roar. Refreshing to hear someone at least a little realistic about their style & level. Continue creeping (?), but also feel free to contribute.

Post subject: Hi from NZ
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 09:49 

G'day everybody,
Just a brief hello to all. I just joined this forum to update myself with the changes and range of equipment available now after an absence of 28 years from table tennis. So many things have changed such as scoring, rubbers, blades, balls, etc. I recently noticed a local club had a news article in a local newspaper who had only started up a year ago to try and rekinkdle the sport in my home town on a social level. It used to be a busy minority sport with numerous grades and lots of teams back in the 80's when I last played competition table tennis. Some time in the 90's it slowly died as it had always been a minority sport and like all small sports, it needs dedicated administrators to run competitions and tournaments as well a lots of keen competitive players. I was involved with admin and coaching as well as being coached myself in my younger years. So three weeks ago I visited this little club and found a number of players who had taken up playing socially or former players returning to do the same. I found it a bit of a challenge to try and rekindle skills I had not used for 28 years. The brain had some vague memories of what to do but the body was not in 'tune' Lol. I was a bit sore after those 3 visits. I purchased some 'cheaper' new to replace the perished rubber I had on my old bat (which I still had). Didn't want to spend too much in case I didn't continue with it all. I still had my old Jonyer H (original). I am keen to try it out next week. I found this forum quite by accident and I hope it will be helpful to have the info that I know good forums can provide as I am in several for other personal interests of mine. So here's to some fun social table tennis and hello to you all here.
Regards,
Rob Hari
New Zealand 8)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 13:42 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Welcome, Rob! This is a tremendous resource, full of friendly and knowledgeable people, with a strong antipodean leaning! I hope you'll like it!

Encouraging to learn that you're finding people returning to the sport. With the olympics around the corner, hopefully we'll get a little burst of interest in the summer too.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 16:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Note to Red Roar:

I enjoyed reading your post, you certainly have been taking improvement seriously!

I'm from Winnipeg, but I will be in Cambridge for a month, probably in August. I checked the distance to Sarnia, it's only 2 hours. I hope to join you for an evening of TT!

BTW: if you are rated 421 in Canada, I probably would be around rated at 2421. So you will give me a learning opportunity!

I will contact you later this summer!

Glenn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 167  Next