OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 08:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot for the reviews guys, that's great!

It does sounds a little unique... but I'm wondering if it's unique because of the thin sponge, or the topsheet...? Some of the characteristics you describe can certainly be attributed to a thin sponge.

Cheers!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 09:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks, some great insights. I started playing with inverted and switched to short pips a few years ago. I've always played with very spinny short pips so these are definitely different. I think I've been using the "small topspin" stroke unconsciously with them, it works very well for these.

I would be interested to see how these played with a thicker sponge as I'm more of an all out attacker but the thinner sponge requires me to be patient, which is a good thing.

I plan to play with them more tomorrow, maybe I'll contrast them with some Double Happiness C7, on 1.0 sponge. The Pluto did feel a bit different than TSP Spectol 1.5 which is more of a hitting pip.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 10:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I guess it's the same as with long pips... they all have different properties... doens't make them worse or better, just different. The challenge is to find out what any particular pip IS best at, and make the most of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 19:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Haggisv wrote:
Quote:
It does sounds a little unique... but I'm wondering if it's unique because of the thin sponge, or the topsheet...? Some of the characteristics you describe can certainly be attributed to a thin sponge.

I think it may be both. There is relatively a lot of space between the elastic pips, which makes it easier for them to bend on impact; as a result the grippy sides come into play; combined with the soft, cushioning sponge, which allows the ball to dig in, that makes it easy for the pips to grip the ball quite well and (depending on your stroke) put some spin on it or make it dead.

Maybe another way of looking at it is to view it as a medium pip which doesn't reverse well; it certainly handles more like a medium pip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 19:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You probably experiences the rubber a little different to Andrew because you used it on a much slower control type blade, whereas he used it on 'fast' carbon blades...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 21:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That's true, we are using it on different blades. I've got a couple wood blades (still fairly fast) that might be good to try it on.

It certainly goes fast enough when I hit it hard, but I may not be getting all of the nuances with a carbon blade.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 13:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tried the Pluto again with a wood blade, a fast, very bouncy 7 ply Donic Persson Powerspeed. Could feel the slow/fast very clearly with this blade and I could roll effortlessly, block short, flip agressively or drop short easily.

Had some Double Happiness C7 1.0 on the other side. That rubber has far less grip due to the stiffer pips and smoother tops, though speed is fairly comparable when you hit hard.

The Pluto may deserve some time on my regular blade. It makes me a lot more conscious about what short pips are well suited for.

-- Andrew[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 02:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tried the Pluto again on a Sunflex Double Carbon blade which has a very similar feel to my usual Joola Guo 3C blade.

I noticed a few things the Pluto is very good at:

1) Rolls of long serves, this is effortless and automatic
2) Flipping short serves, very easy to do either at angle or long
3) Continuing sidespin
4) Blocking loops
5) Smashing high balls

I also noticed a few things it's not so good at:
1) Looping long serves, it's much better to roll them.
2) Pushing long serves, the lack of grip makes the ball pop up
3) Stopping sidespin
4) Dealing with dead balls

The first group are things that I've been working on, while the second are left over habits from playing with inverted. I plan to use this rubber more as it reinforces good habits and punishes my bad habits.

As an offensive player I would be interested in seeing how a thicker sponge (like 1.5-1.7) would play. The sponge has softened some after an application of Ecolo Expander II and a couple of applications of rubber cement. I do like how the thinner sponge makes it easy to feel the ball.

I also briefly tried the Galaxy Uranus. The sponge is 2.0 and the rubber is fast and still feels pretty firm even after a coat of Ecolo Expander II.

The rubber is much higher throw than other rubbers with softer sponge like 802-40 or 889-2. I first tried it on a Yasaka Max Wood, a very low throw blade but it felt too hard. I now have it on a 1 ply hinoki blade and that seems like a better fit.

It might work very well for someone (like Kees) who prefers a fast rubber and slow blade. I prefer a faster blade which makes it hard to match as most of my current blades have a higher throw.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 03:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
We chose the 1.3mm because it's in the middle of the range of sponge thicknesses available

What thicknesses are available? If Pluto proves popular as it should can you get some slightly thicker ones (like 1.5-1.7) on your next order?

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 09:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes absolutely! From memory the sponge range was around 1.0-1.8mm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 05:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A sheet of Pluto in 1.8 sounds like it would be a winner, though I may still decide that I like the control of the 1.3 better. Maybe I should get a 1.5 as well...

No one has said yet that my shots lack speed with the thinner sponge.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 16:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I believe the Pluto is on the list of rubbers that will be banned next year. Pity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 16:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I just can't understand that! But there are a few very doubtful ones on the list, so it may be just a matter of galaxy not having submitted these rubbers yet....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 22:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well, the Friendship 799-1 seems to be on the list too. Same strange thing. It only makes sense if the ITTF wants to ban everything with even the slightest potential for spinreversal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 22:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I wonder if spacing is the issue as 799-1 are also widely spaced pips.

I've now got a sheet of Pluto in red with a 1.8 mm 42 degree Dawei sponge and it seems much faster so more for an attacking game.

I'll still use it and my 755 Faster in practice to give people practice against dead rubber, medium and long pips. I find Pluto is really good for blocking and rolling with, but not as good for opening as my Joola Snabb.

-- Andrew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next