OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: blocking with diamant
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 18:24 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

I'm having problems blocking heavy top with the diamant. If I close the blade the balls dive into the net, if I keep the blade vertical they fly. I've a sneaking suspicion that I need to make more of a forward stroke, but it feels very exaggerated. Can anyone point me to a vid or a player with a good example of shakehand sp blocking?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 18:27 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

julian wrote:
I'm having problems blocking heavy top with the diamant. If I close the blade the balls dive into the net, if I keep the blade vertical they fly. I've a sneaking suspicion that I need to make more of a forward stroke, but it feels very exaggerated. Can anyone point me to a vid or a player with a good example of shakehand sp blocking?

Sounds like the trouble I'm having. What I currently do is I counterhit softly, seems to be working so far for me.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 18:57 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Yuzuki wrote:

Sounds like the trouble I'm having. What I currently do is I counterhit softly, seems to be working so far for me.

This is what I do to get around it, but I want to play a softer block to pull people into the table before a counter attack...

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 19:51 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

julian wrote:
This is what I do to get around it, but I want to play a softer block to pull people into the table before a counter attack...

Ah yes...you'll probably have to do an excellent short chop block or pull-back block if you want to scrub off the pace and (relatively) maintain the line of play, or go for the sidelines for an abrupt change in the line of play and/or if you just don't want the ball to cross the end line.

Sadly, for me, giving advice is easier than performing what's in it. :lol: Personally, I find that going for the sidelines is a little bit easier to perform, but chop blocking/pulling back gives the exact result you want, which is to reel them into the table. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 20:34 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

I can't get the chop block to work too well nor a pull back block either! I was training last night and the guys I was with wanted me to start softly, but the only way of getting control was to go full out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 20:56 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

julian wrote:
I can't get the chop block to work too well nor a pull back block either! I was training last night and the guys I was with wanted me to start softly, but the only way of getting control was to go full out!

Hmm, same thing here, really -- it's like you get better control if you use the sponge to manipulate the ball.

I guess (you and I?) aren't getting the bat angles very well yet -- a friend of mine plays 652, blocks fast heavy topspins consistently, and I can't figure how and why. I'm quite sure she's very used to the pips she's using, and blocks it off the bounce.

I'd defer to the more experienced forumers on this one -- perhaps Baal, Kees, or Andrew can provide us some insight on this. I know I've been pestering Kees about this particular issue (block against heavy top), but just recently, hitting through the heavy spin works better for me (a little bit more consistent, odd), to the chagrin of my training partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 01:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
julian wrote:

I'd defer to the more experienced forumers on this one -- perhaps Baal, Kees, or Andrew can provide us some insight on this. I know I've been pestering Kees about this particular issue (block against heavy top), but just recently, hitting through the heavy spin works better for me (a little bit more consistent, odd), to the chagrin of my training partner.

I've gotten better as I've relaxed my grip and stopped tightening up at impact, so I can now block short or by punching forward I can also go long.

If I get the angle just right and go down before the ball gets to me I can chop block a little but it's pretty low percentage for me with my relatively grippy pips. Easier with something like Pluto or a medium or long pip.

My coach has been trying to get me to block with sidespin in order to change heavy topspin to a different spin, rather than trying to chop block or topspin block it back. The key is to get your racket moving before the ball gets to you, once it reaches your paddle it's too late.

Still, it's not my best skill, and is better against a robot than in live training or matches I'm much more a forehand attacker than a blocker, so I'd love to hear what Kees or Baal have to say.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 03:04 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

I've just come back from a coaching session, and relaxing the grip has helped a lot. My strokes are still toolong, but if I relax the grip and get behind the ball, I was blocking the ball better. I'm also blocking too early or too late... go figure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 03:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

julian wrote:
I've just come back from a coaching session, and relaxing the grip has helped a lot. My strokes are still toolong, but if I relax the grip and get behind the ball, I was blocking the ball better. I'm also blocking too early or too late... go figure...

Good to hear, getting the height right on blocks is more critical with pips, much less so with inverted. You need a fairly straight line, too early and it goes into the net or off the end with pips, while with inverted it has more of an arc. Too late and the ball tends to not come back down.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 08:06 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Thanks Andrew, I might be really forgetting that blocking with pips is slightly different from inverted -- I'm probably trying to create time pressure by blocking early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 09:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
Thanks Andrew, I might be really forgetting that blocking with pips is slightly different from inverted -- I'm probably trying to create time pressure by blocking early.

Yeah, while I tried to block quickly off the bounce, it turns out that with pips my coach says you should let the ball come up to almost net height.

I still don't have the hang of taking the ball quickly off the bounce, but since I'm a power player, I prefer to focus on getting the ball on the table until I can get a clear smash.

If I take the ball at the top of the bounce I can hit or punch it hard enough to give most people problems.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 20:11 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

This is one of the biggest differences for me for sp play - you have tor really go looking for the ball and can't wait until the ball comes to you then use spin to bring the ball back down. But this concept of actively moving to contact at an exact height really shows up poor footwork. I've found out I have toio much weight on my right foot, so after two hard attacks, my left foot as lifted and moved back so I'm in a closed stance, and have to then play a bh shot. All good stuff in the learning curve!