OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Half Long pimples
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 18:21 
Super User

What's a good half long pimple for close to the table hitting and blocking with a little distrubing effect?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 19:17 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Peacekeeper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 20:49 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

diamant, halflong both 1mm. I got more distrubing effect from them than peacekeeper ox. Peacekeeper is faster

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 21:39 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Julian is the guy in the know on med. pips.

Half long is a very respect pip.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 22:42 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Peacekeeper can block exceptionally well, but it's not terribly deceptive, gives your opponent a dead ball most of the time. Which, against some players works, but against others, not so much. I found hitting with long pips to be more disturbing.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 00:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
DHS C7 is very effective for hitting and the right stroke will give very disturbing spin. Nowhere near the reverse of LP (especially Palio), but there is some. The blocking capability of it is pretty awesome.

I have some 755-2 to try, but its down my list for testing at this point.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 01:45 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Mathias wrote:
Julian is the guy in the know on med. pips.

Half long is a very respect pip.

dunno about that, but I've sure tried a lot!!!

When I warm up now I give my partners the choice of warming up their backhand against insider or diamant - diamant gives them the most problems and they prefer Insider.

Other longpips to try are the short lp pips, leggy, millitall, I've not been able to get leggy to work. I could control it, but it just didn't seem to do much damage in a blocking game, but it hits well

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 23:09 
VaMP-ire Killer

julian wrote:
diamant, halflong both 1mm. I got more distrubing effect from them than peacekeeper ox. Peacekeeper is faster

interesting you say 1.0mm for halflong and not 1.5mm, i use the 1.5mm and I would recomend using that size. any reason why 1 is better?

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 01:04 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Thats easy more reverse spin. It'll be easier to hit through backspin for example and will produce more sink against a topspin stroke.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 01:11 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Mathias wrote:
Thats easy more reverse spin. It'll be easier to hit through backspin for example and will produce more sink against a topspin stroke.

Thats it. Unless you want to put it on your forehand of course, then maybe 1.5. I use this in Diamant on my fh and works a dream, good compromise between sink and attack. All this stuff is about compromise and you choose which bit of the line you want to be on

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 01:17 
VaMP-ire Killer

would explain why I use 1.5mm: because I use it for attacking (75% of my poins are won because of my BH shots ith the half long)

jesus, how thick was I, I should of known the answer

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 01:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I have to admit, having gone back to LP I miss the ability of the MP to attack more easily, but I think I am playing better with the Palio still, simply because of the extra control I have and the extra reverse I am getting. I don't think I've used anything that gets the same amount of reverse. Has anyone tried the 755-2 yet? If I thought it had a good compromise on it all I might throw my sheet on, but I feel I have to stick with the Palio and get to know it better and better.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 03:56 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Skull wrote:

Hmm.. well I can't really say that "Jesus would be well aware of this being God" because that becomes religous stuff which is banned.

Perhaps we could just omit the Jesus stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 04:36 
VaMP-ire Killer

Mathias wrote:
Skull wrote:

Hmm.. well I can't really say that "Jesus would be well aware of this being God" because that becomes religous stuff which is banned.

Perhaps we could just omit the Jesus stuff?

wow, ive been gone a while

anyways, at least its nice to know that people like half-long

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 17:17 

"Half long" is merely another term for medium pips, correct? Or is it that they are spaced the same as LP and are more closely related to them than SP, except they are merely shorter.

I'm experimenting quite a bit on BH. I had been using Neptune (0.6 and later 1.0) for a few months or more but by the end of it turned into more of a chop/angled blocker, and safe and/or agressive hitter of underspin (my fav part) when possible, rather than a chopper.

I tried 799 1.5mm today which was a pretty big switch obviously. Not quite inverted but similar attack mentality. I did well with it, beating all the usual people. But, basically all I could do was hit hit hit hit hit block hit. Chop blocks weren't working - more open faced or even closed. Able to hit no or top, but had difficulty dealing with underspin (rolling, quickly realized I couldn't hit). Serve return was more challenging than I'd like, though not impossible like with inverted for me. No real LP effect to speak of or extremely minor.

I have a couple things either already here or in the mail to test out (Using a Vioncello by the way - feels non-elastic and a little fast compared to what I normally use):

Peacekeeper OX
Super Anti 1.5mm

Going to play around with those above and also I think I'll probably get a true medium pip, because I think what I'm really after may just be a toned down LP, where it retains a moderate degree of those benefits (effect/disruption, serve return, some chop ability even though I'm probably moving a little away from that except in desperation, etc), trading away a decent chunk of that for more aggression (better underspin hitting / safe poke, overall speed including for blocks - something more of a blend between LP and SP).

Is that Diamant or Half Long, or am I looking for one of those Friendship medium pips or something else?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!