OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 00:56 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Did someone try this rubber?

I had a brief hit with it yesterday.

I want to switch to medium pips after playing (attacking style) with long pips for 15 years. All the pips i've tried start to break after 1 to 2 months. Hopefully medium pips last longer.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 02:06 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
I didn't play with it, but I played against it several times (when they attacked with it). Someone in my club has it too. I find it difficult to play against... Quite deceptive and very speedy. Sometimes the balls makes really strange motions in the air. When they play defensively with it, it really messes up the timing you need to topspin, but it only does contain average backspin.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 05:19 
Super User

Little review:

I played it with 1,5 mm sponge yesterday on a Donic defplay frame. I was used to play 0,5 mm P1r so it was a little quicker.

First impressions:
-Pips are wide (1,8 mm) , vertical alligned (about 1,4 mm apart), very soft and a little bit riffled. Rubbing the rubber with your hand you feel the grip.
-Pips are 1,2 mm long (like mentioned on the cardboard cover), flexible. Sponge is medium (yellow).
-I was able to produce some backspin and sidespin serving.
-Receiving serve had good control. I was able to return the opponents effect.
-Attacking was quite easy. Very good control. Also attacks away from the table. You have to expect balls to come back.
-Blocking was also easy but with little reversal because of the grippy pips.
-I was able to produce a lot of backspin (surprise) in defense away from the table. Like Lorre said my opponent's timing was off. I don't know why. He seemed to miss the ball completely. Something curl P1r was also able to do.
-Most problems I had was defending away from the table. I think because of the speed of the rubber compared to the curl.

I think for now i will stick with it. Maybe i try the 1,0 mm version.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 15:18 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
brokkie wrote:

I want to switch to medium pips after playing (attacking style) with long pips for 15 years. All the pips i've tried start to break after 1 to 2 months. Hopefully medium pips last longer.

You have P1r in your signature, if you start to break pips after 1 to 2 months, you must be hitting hard then, because P1r is supposed to be last a lot longer than some of the other pips.

Our Navy young man from Chicago, Robert, had this Armstrong attack pips when he came back from Japan in February, can't remember whether he used it to play with me or not. May be when he sees this thread, he can answer directly.

And Speedplay is correct, my Long A 1.1 has, so far, lasted more than a year without missing a single pip. And I do hit hard, flat hitting, looping and driving, any othe rlong pips, a maximum of 3 days, pips will break in the middle.

The only other medium long pips I have ever tried are pimplemini 1.3 and 1.5 and 563 2.0. The 563 2.0 way way too fast and bouncy for my taste and I can't use it to chop and now in the good hands of Hookshot, and guess what, he has already breaking some pips, he hit harder than me.

Pimplemini 1.3/1.5 hits the balls a little faster than many of the long pips with less LP effect, and because of its pip length, may have a little longer pip life. Hopefully, you will have a little longer life in medium pips for you to enjoy.

Long A is difficult to obtain outside Hong Kong, and unfortunately, these people don't care too much about distributing outside HK and China, too bad.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 20:52 
HE-LP on land or sea

I had the Twister long pip. I loved it for hitting, probably the best hitting pips I've ever played with. However, it gave up some on the chopping aspect of the game, which I think in the long run will get me more points. Also, my current pips hit well enough to be high percentage on the kind of hits I do with my pips......pick hit against pushed chop to turn into a general counter-offensive if the other person gets that first hit on the table.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 00:24 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
To me, medium pips are a good intermediate step to learning a long pips hitting game. Ultimately, what I (and other people I know who tried medium pips) found is that they're not tricky enough to win points off deception and not fast enough to hit winners against people. Most players end up going one way or another, to short or long. Me, I went back to long and it helped improve my technique.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 01:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Doug I was with you all the way there until you said not fast enough to hit winners with lol. I've played with 3 or 4 mid pips and they are definitely fast enough to hit winners with. Have hit them all the way up to and including Mars63 (which as high as I can go playing anyone in my club gradewise lol). Granted against Mars there are many fewer than someone in my grade. Now I am using LP again hitting clear winners is possible but harder. They still generally turn out winners though for the skid they carry along with decent speed, but nothing like off the inverted for speed of course.

DHS C7 is definitely a MP worth trying in my book and 755-2 ain't bad either.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 03:55 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

With the long pips I get a lot more winners when my opponent gets to the ball because they badly mis-read what's on it. Depending on the level of player, sometimes it only works for part of the first game, but sometimes it works for the whole match. When I used the Peacekeeper, I found that people adjusted to it much more easily. Although it was easier to hit with, and yes it was probably a little faster, I didn't find it nearly as effective in matches for that reason.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 05:36 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Doug I was with you all the way there until you said not fast enough to hit winners with lol. I've played with 3 or 4 mid pips and they are definitely fast enough to hit winners with. Have hit them all the way up to and including Mars63 (which as high as I can go playing anyone in my club gradewise lol). Granted against Mars there are many fewer than someone in my grade. Now I am using LP again hitting clear winners is possible but harder. They still generally turn out winners though for the skid they carry along with decent speed, but nothing like off the inverted for speed of course.

DHS C7 is definitely a MP worth trying in my book and 755-2 ain't bad either.

RebornTTEvnglist

I agree with you that you can hit them hard enough to hit winners with. I also agree that it's harder with long pimples than medium pimples.

About 10 years ago i tried short pips. Problem was that with short pips you cannot reduce the speed of the ball in the ralley. With long pips you can reduce the speed easier in the ralley and still be deceptive. Attacked balls with long pimples seldom come back. Attacked balls with medium pips are less disturbing for the opponent.

Maybe i will try the C7. I also heard very good things of the Neubauer diamant (also played against it which i found difficult).

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 06:09 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Brokkie, that's exactly why I switched back to long pips. I love the ability to change up the pace of the game. With short pips, it was nothing but a fast attacking game which I could play, but not all that well. I was much better off against most people with the change of pace type of game, keeping them off-balance.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 07:36 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Brokkie, that's exactly why I switched back to long pips. I love the ability to change up the pace of the game. With short pips, it was nothing but a fast attacking game which I could play, but not all that well. I was much better off against most people with the change of pace type of game, keeping them off-balance.

Dwruck

That's exactly my game. Only point is that I need a new rubber every 1 to 2 months because of the hard hitting. So I'm looking for a medium long pimple rubber (I hope is more durable) which I can play deceptive with and with a lot of speed changes.

I'v heard Diamant 1,2 mm could do the trick. A deceptive block on a slow frame. Hitting hard for me is all about arm speed.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 10:37 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

You should give the Dawei 388D-1 long pips a try. I haven't broken one yet, maybe because they're grippy and flexible instead of hard.