OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 04:25 

I recently got a Prasidha 820A 2mm black sheet of short pips. Given that its not ITTF approved a friend is going to have it but a couple of knocks have got me interested in it or something similar.

Was soft, easy to control and very deceptive on the amount of spin you can give back / create. Rolls were really nice to give back service spin, pushes easy and tight with or without spin, chops mostly float, also able to topspin nicely with good contact. Hits and blocks good and flat with strong contact. Played a couple of games with it and gave opponents all sorts of problems ..... they were really struggling to read it plus you can change pace very well with it.

So to my question(s)...... it's not ITTF approved but the Double Fish 820A is; are they the same rubber ? Where can I get the Double Fish version reliably (I'm in UK) ? Is there something similar from another company ?

Thanks

P.S. Should have said ...... used on BH.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 05:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
I recently got a Prasidha 820A 2mm black sheet of short pips.

It's a medium pip, not a short pip. Like other medium pips (Friendship 799-1, or for a while Galaxy Pluto) it is not obvious why it isn't approved, but this almost certainly is related to its deceptiveness. I'm not sure how alike the Double Fish 820 A is. It is also a medium pip, has a medium hard sponge (40 degrees) and is rather slow in the rebound, allround in speed (around 9-). Generally it is used like the Friendship medium pip 563, for blocking (topspin) and hitting (through backspin) close to the table, varying the spin to deceive the opponent. The Friendship is a bit slower (around 8+) and has more control because of a harder sponge (around 44 degrees), but is also available on a Mystery sponge which is softer, faster and spinnier. These rubbers are reliably available from eacheng.net, China, or from www.schuett-sport.de, Germany. The Friendship is also available here at the onlineshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 06:06 

I have seen it listed as a short and a medium pip so I have been both confused and unsure if there are different versions.

I have used 563 and it's a straight medium pip ..... pretty flat to play and must use a lot of wrist to add spin on pushes and chops. The Prasidha 820A seemed to play more like a short pip in comparison but it is on a much softer sponge which might be the main difference. I could counter hit and open with a little topspin with much more 'inverted' like strokes than 563 would ever let me.

However, the deception, returned effect on rolls against service spin etc really surprised me and made me doubt how short a short pip it was.

It would appear that a 'longer short pip' or a 'shorter medium pip' on a 40 degree sponge might be the equivalent. I am going to retrieve from friend and do some measuring.

Cheers

P.S. I found 563 Red 1.5mm on the orange sponge hard to control. It wasn't particularly slow and the lack of any real grip made it far to medium or long pimple feeling for my comfort. I found 802-1 and 802-40 far more controllable but I am coming from the inverted camp originally with not much pips experience.

P.S. I think I know someone with some 563 black in 2mm lurking on an old blade. I'll give that a go but 799 variant on a soft sponge might be closest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 07:40 
The Artist
The Artist

Kees wrote:
These rubbers are reliably available from eacheng.net, China, or from www.schuett-sport.de, Germany. The Friendship is also available here at the onlineshop.

Just adding working link: http://www.schuett-sport.de/

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 05:53 

I came across a Prasidha 820A/Double fish by chance.The rubber is clearly marked both Prasidha AND Double Fish, but I can´t see any ITTF approval mark so I assume it´s not a listed rubber...

I use it on FH since the red versions of 889/889-2 turned out to differ from the blk ones.
The old black 889´s I used had an orange sponge and was significantly grippier than the new red 889-2´s which are supposed to have improved grippiness.