OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 22:25 
VaMP-ire Killer

well its gotten to this stage

the level ive been pushing my pimple play at has gone as far as I can take it, my FH play is fine and when I come to using my pimples I trouble a few players, but after talking with a mate of mine - who after a year away from pimples because of the frictionless ban has returned to pimples - who uses a nice setup of an SP I forget which one) and neubauer domination, I have learnt so much about what i can do with my Hallmark half-long, it has gotten to the stage where he told me I should be playing a deception game, and then go in for the kill when they make the mistake. Sadly, I have only 1 shot atm that causes deception (I'm not encluding the simple returns which takes the spin off), which is "counter chopping" the chop, turning it into topspin

as fun as that is, I cant trust on it every time, and I can trust on what im doing right now all the time because I cant go agressive all the time. So im wanting to learn a few new things to do with the pips, I know being its mid pips its a diferent world, although I know people here has used/is using hallmark half-long so I wonder if you guys could give me some advice. Im also thinking about getting the neubauer DVD, is it worth it?

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 23:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Does the Half Long play more like a LP or SP? How thick a sponge do you use?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 23:16 
VaMP-ire Killer

to quote bribar's website

A medium short pimple which gives the effect of a long
pimple when blocking against topspin and enables the
player to attack as if playing with short pimples. Suited to
close to the table attacking play yet with good control.

basicly in a nutshell, when I attack its like a SP, but when I play controll its like a LP, the thickness I use is 1.5mm

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 00:03 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Why not try the video? Also, I think Kees' post about playing short pips has various short pip blocking and other techniques you can try to explore.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 11:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
In 1.5mm it's likely to play more like a short pip IMO. You're unlikely to get a lot of reversal, although you'll probably still get decent control when shopping against loops...

The deception part can be from chopping against loops... if you brush down hard you'll return good backspin, if you brush softer and more forwards you'll return a floater.

Any blocks in close will likely take all the spin off, unless you chop block (harder to control with 1.5mm but effective when you can do it) or counterhit which will probably produce a little topspin (but ften less than they expect).