OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 15:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Meteor 845
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 17:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Just received a sheet of Meteor 845 Ox mid-pips in my order from China. Haven't even opened the pack yet, but as its just clear plastic covered so I can easily see the pips. I ordered these just to see how they would play in comparison to the 8512 Ox I have been using for 9 or 10 months. I also got 2 brand new Ox 8512's (one red and one black) and a black 0.5 sponged 8512. Comparing the 845 with the 8512, the pips look very similar to the naked eye, but the 845 does seems very slightly shorter pips, but to the naked eye it is hard to easily detect the difference. I would doubt it could be half a millimetres difference in the heights. The pips look very similar in width as well, although the 845 could be thinner by again a miniscule amount. The spacing of the 845 looks quite clearly more sparse than the 8512, although still spaced fairly close together. Not sure when I will get to try these out. It will probably be once my current season is over.

Given the similarity the 845 sheet has to 8512 I am expecting to enjoy using it and hoping there to be a small benefit in hitting control with it. It will be interesting to find if my expectation come true. If not, I enjoy the 8512 enough to keep on with it. I used 8512 with 1mm sponge for a brief time and found it just a little fast at times for good control. I am hoping the 0.5 sponge will be a good medium between the 2. Of course if I love the 845 more, then I forsee a further order having to take place LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Meteor 845
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 04:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Just received a sheet of Meteor 845 Ox mid-pips in my order from China. Haven't even opened the pack yet, but as its just clear plastic covered so I can easily see the pips. I ordered these just to see how they would play in comparison to the 8512 Ox I have been using for 9 or 10 months. I also got 2 brand new Ox 8512's (one red and one black) and a black 0.5 sponged 8512. Comparing the 845 with the 8512, the pips look very similar to the naked eye, but the 845 does seems very slightly shorter pips, but to the naked eye it is hard to easily detect the difference. I would doubt it could be half a millimetres difference in the heights. The pips look very similar in width as well, although the 845 could be thinner by again a miniscule amount. The spacing of the 845 looks quite clearly more sparse than the 8512, although still spaced fairly close together. Not sure when I will get to try these out. It will probably be once my current season is over.

Given the similarity the 845 sheet has to 8512 I am expecting to enjoy using it and hoping there to be a small benefit in hitting control with it. It will be interesting to find if my expectation come true. If not, I enjoy the 8512 enough to keep on with it. I used 8512 with 1mm sponge for a brief time and found it just a little fast at times for good control. I am hoping the 0.5 sponge will be a good medium between the 2. Of course if I love the 845 more, then I forsee a further order having to take place LOL.
Meteor 845 sounds a lot like Meteor 71-2.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 11:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Interesting Reb, I have not see that one either. You'd think they'd use a bit more imagination when they come up with the names, wouldn't you?

I just noticed on the ITTF list they have another LP too, the 9012? Never noticed that before :oops:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 15:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Yeah, a bit like Galaxy naming conventions except with even less seeming logic to the numbers LOL. I wonder if they just produce the same pips in each length, stick different number stamps on them and think they will sell because EJ's will want to try everything there is out there LOL. :roll: :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 21:12 
Super User

Hi Reb,

Have you finally tested the 845?

Q.-

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 00:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Not yet mate! Not until season's finished. We won our final tonight and I have another final to go on Thursday. Then the 8512 comes off and 845 goes on on one side. Roxon comes off the other and Gewo Proton goes on. Then all I have to do is find somewhere to try them. Might have to set my table back up! I have the pool table up at the moment.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 18:39 
Super User

Yes, well done Reb, I am doing the same now. First let the important matches pass and then let's do the tests afterwards. Don't forget to post something here when you have tested it, please.
By the way, (I know that you will be interested) I'm going to try with Meteor 8512 0.6 mm OFF SPONGE, not Def. Let's see what happens when sponge is harder, I hope that control will be more or less the same but speed will be higher.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 02:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Interesting Quelis. I have the 8512 in Def 0.5mm sponge. I found the 1mm Def sponge too quick and too sensitive to chop spin.

I have donned the 845 on the Gergely tonight, so hopefully I will begin testing tomorrow night when a mate may come for a hit. Its a nice looking sheet and thicker rubber than the 8512 Ox, so it was HEAPS easier to roll on and get out air bubbles (which were almost non existent from start, whereas 8512 Ox was a nightmare).

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 06:57 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Interesting Quelis. I have the 8512 in Def 0.5mm sponge. I found the 1mm Def sponge too quick and too sensitive to chop spin.

I have donned the 845 on the Gergely tonight, so hopefully I will begin testing tomorrow night when a mate may come for a hit. Its a nice looking sheet and thicker rubber than the 8512 Ox, so it was HEAPS easier to roll on and get out air bubbles (which were almost non existent from start, whereas 8512 Ox was a nightmare).

I look forward to your review Reb, what colour 8512 did you use?
i used black, but still had occasional control problems from the super-loopers (taking me long over the end of the table!), i wonder if red is/has more control and slightly less friction???????????

Anybody???????????????????????

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 22:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

OK here's the inside story on 845 after half an hours hit with it. Blah! Well not blah as in terrible, but blah as in boring, nothing exciting. The feel is ok-ish, but a lot less feel and character than 8512. The slightly shorter pips and the stiffer rubber I think add up to a very ordinary pip. Reverse was almost non-existent. 8512 is a giant in reversal, C7 is a giant in reversal in comparison even. Overall conclusion, its pretty easy to use (although would at times result in a dead shot falling off the bat), but I don't think it has much sting to it. The 8512 is easy to hit a sideways brush and almost as easy to attack/smash with.

Mozzy I have gone to black on almost all my pips I use. I think they are slower and trickier. 8512 is black and so is this 845. Have not tried a red 8512, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has. My next attempt will be with the 8512 0.5 sponge, but I suspect I will be back with Ox soon enough as its the best defense against loops I have found yet.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 05:10 
Super User

Hi Mozzy, Hi Reb

I use 8512 in red but have never tried them in black, so I can really compare. I decided a long time ago to buy all pips always in red because it is widely believed that the red dye makes pips break less easily. I don't know if it's true (at least, it seems to be quite true for 8512 since I'm still using the first rubber I bought about half a year ago) but this decision has saved me some money because in this way you can make all combinations of forehand and backhand with no problems. I guess that in red pips are a bit stiffer...

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 17:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

That would make sense about Red being stiffer Quelis. I wouldn't see that as an advantage as I think the softness of the black pips helps take the sting from fast loops and hits and get them back instead of flying off. Black BT and Palio were both stiffer than Black 8512.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 22:14 
Super User

Hi Reb,

I tested 8512 0.5mm off last monday. Well, it's quite interesting although of course I have to give them another try before I can hold a strong opinion. The two main features of these pips are (as expected): they are a little faster and the second is that chops far from the table are more difficult to cut them short. So, nothing out from expected which is particularly good when you play close to the table and need to increase the ball speed a bit. As somebody said earlier, 8512 OX is good because its low speed allows you to recover position easily (more if you are not a teenager), but when you play with good loopers (specially teenagers :) ) they recover their position as well and faster than you. It's a nature law...

I wish you all happy happy Christmas and a better year 2010, specially to my friends here in the forum: Reb, MM, Julian, Alex, Brab, and all the others. Remember, the best is yet to come!

Q.-

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 05:28 

Meteor 845 is a alround medium long pips and has a very good control and easy to play but not good for spin revers or deception ,if you are playing against some one who is a short chopper with under spin then this pips works very well all the balls are sinking down ( i am an shake hand player but holding my arm vertically and play like an pen holder player so in this case this rubber shine and works very well ) and its similar to meteor 575 with less deception but better control .Over all i think Meteor brand is making good pips rubbers and very high quality i have three shits and playing with them for 5 years but of course i have more than 30 paddles and 40 different kind of long medium and short pimples

viva pips players :up: :up: :up: :D

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!