OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Short pips setup
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 19:12 

Blade: Dr neubauer firewall plus
FH: Spinlord waren
BH: Tibhar grass dtecs
I have been playing for some years in modern defence style lp backhand attaching forehand but would like to try faster short pip type set up someone surgessted maybe keeping faster lp on backhand and short on forehand although I was thinking more of medium.
I have read many opinions that the bes type of blade for short pips is a thick balsa type I’ve been looking at some of the Spinlord types , but i have also read opposing views that go against balsa and put me in the direction of Dr Neubauer barricade although this seems quite a defensive blade which would be slow.
I’m hoping to try to play a bit closer to the table to end the point quicker as I’m not getting any younger
Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Short pips setup
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 04:20 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Too many variables here for good advice. But just re blades alone for an attacking forehand with Short pips go for a stiffer rather than flexible blade and not too bouncy. Balsa is good with short pips if combined with carbon and other wood layers as this makes the blade both stiffer and more linear and thus more precise in the short game. My local TT dealer uses the huge and very light Barricade with LP bh and SP fh. Apparently they are very popular with defensive players due to the feel and control and will still be ok for attacking with a fast short pip such as waran if you flat hit rather than loop. Another more conventional Dr N blade that could suit you is the phenomenon.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 08:46 

ChasFox wrote:
Too many variables here for good advice. But just re blades alone for an attacking forehand with Short pips go for a stiffer rather than flexible blade and not too bouncy. Balsa is good with short pips if combined with carbon and other wood layers as this makes the blade both stiffer and more linear and thus more precise in the short game. My local TT dealer uses the huge and very light Barricade with LP bh and SP fh. Apparently they are very popular with defensive players due to the feel and control and will still be ok for attacking with a fast short pip such as waran if you flat hit rather than loop. Another more conventional Dr N blade that could suit you is the phenomenon.

Thank you for advice Dr n blades seem a popular choice for short pips someone suggested to me the firewall plus with Spinlord waren short pips

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 23:11 
Super User

I have firewall + that I have cut down slightly and find it very hard to work out best rubbers for.

It is very pingy blade with not much dwell i.e. the ball comes off very fast at low impact - it definitely suits fast hands, short strokes with good touch. Yes Short Pips on the forehand works really well - I am currently trying 802-40 1.5mm which strikes a good balance. Waran in 1.5mm or 1.8mm should be good if you can control the extra speed. The problem you may have is with long pips again due to how quickly the ball can come off the blade at low impact.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 21:58 

ChasFox wrote:
I have firewall + that I have cut down slightly and find it very hard to work out best rubbers for.

It is very pingy blade with not much dwell i.e. the ball comes off very fast at low impact - it definitely suits fast hands, short strokes with good touch. Yes Short Pips on the forehand works really well - I am currently trying 802-40 1.5mm which strikes a good balance. Waran in 1.5mm or 1.8mm should be good if you can control the extra speed. The problem you may have is with long pips again due to how quickly the ball can come off the blade at low impact.

I have a donic defplay blade with Xiom vega lp on backhand and hurricane 11 forehand also yinhe 980 which is defined as defensive but I find it quite fast again hurricane 11 on forehand with grass dtecs ox backhand so wondering how a short pip probably Spinlord waren 1.8 or maybe stiga radicle would play on one of the above blades. Also the Spinlord gipfelsturm rubber seems to get highly rated.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 22:26 
Super User

Monolith wrote:
ChasFox wrote:

I have a donic defplay blade with Xiom vega lp on backhand and hurricane 11 forehand also yinhe 980 which is defined as defensive but I find it quite fast again hurricane 11 on forehand with grass dtecs ox backhand so wondering how a short pip probably Spinlord waren 1.8 or maybe stiga radicle would play on one of the above blades. Also the Spinlord gipfelsturm rubber seems to get highly rated.

Main difference I find between using Waran compared to inverted is the low launch angle when trying to topspin drive. If you find your current blades have quite a high launch i.e on harder hits you have to work on keeping the ball down then Waran may be worth trying..Waran is good for blocks pushing and chops as well of course hitting. You could try 802.40 in 1.8mm on your faster blade which plays more like inverted.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 13:18 

in yours defensives blades ,the stiffer you have, can try waran, butterfly impartial xs or tsp super spinpips red or blue.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 00:19 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
Good question. I've asked this recently in my own thread. Well, I have an old nittaku combi blade. It's got a carbon veiled faster side and the other side without carbon. For a laugh I've loaded with spinlord agenda 1mm on slower side and, 802 40 on the carbon side. Not such a laugh I may add. The agenda is awesome on this blade chops well and more importantly consistent. Flip to 802 for variation. I can hit very well with the agenda as well. Slow loop, or smash if possible.chops can be loaded or float with ease. Superb. In fact, it's my go to at moment... Let's see