OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blade's Weight List
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 12:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There would have to be some range in weights, wood is a natural substance and unless you carefully select it you're going to end up with a wide range. If you DO select it, there will be a lot of reject wood, which would mean prices would go up, and besides, the sorting process itself if labor intensive and thus in itself expensive. There is already quite a bit of sorting for QC going on, weighing every sheet of core and veneer would add greatly to the time, though.

I would've thought TSP (which makes Victas) would be better than most in this regard though...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 12:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Stiga Allround Classic FL - 81.02g

Thickness: 5.30mm (based on an average of 6 measurements around the circumference).

I got this through tabletennis11.com in Narva, Estonia. I asked them to send me the lightest blade in their inventory. Came with a nice box (which you don't get when you order from China). Build quality is somewhat less than Yinhe's, I'll have to say. The glue joints are as tight, the face veneers just slightly less smooth, but the handle is slightly rougher and the plastic lens wasn't mounted properly so it sticks above the surface of the handle. Wonder how long the sticker at the end of the handle will stay on. This is the thinnest blade I have so far, thinner even than the Palio A08. It is more flexible (I can visibly flex the handle-blade joint, though the movement at the tip is still in the order of 1-2mm at the most. I varnished it last night (according to Keme's method) as I do all my blades, will mount rubber on it today (probably yet another sheet of Generic Dragon). This is the most expensive blade I've bought to date, we'll see how it compares to the Chinese ones.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This blade is supposed to be made in Sweden, so the one you got from China would have been a copy, wouldn't it?

A rougher finish seems quite typical for many Swedish-made blade, but the performance tends to be very good. I don';t know if it's the materials or construction, but I find you tend to get a nicer feel from Swedish-made blade in general.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 15:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No, I mean I want to compare it with blades from China (especially my Yinhe N11s). I'm not aware of any (fake or real) Stiga Allround Classics made in China, or any purported clones. There are LOTS of clones of the more expensive Stiga blades - the Rosewoods and Ebonys, even the Clipper, but I haven't seen anything from HRT or anyone else that seems to be a Allround Classic clone.

I'm pretty sure this is Swedish - there's a "Made in Sweden" crest on the box. "HANDmade in Sweden by Stiga", no less. :lol:

ImageImage

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 16:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ahh Ok, I'm with you now. :up:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 16:47 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Both my swedish blades have rough handles. The sticker on my stiga still like new after 6 months.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 21:10 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
It's not (only) the social players who don't care about the weight. You'd be surprised how many high level players (2300+) are not really focused on their equipment. Many use the same blade for many years without being aware of characteristics (or weight). And inversely, quite some social or low-level players are very preoccupied about their equipment.

The (big) ranges in blade weight also give an opportunity. You can ask for lighter or heavier versions of the same blade, according to your preference...

lionto wrote:
Pipsy wrote:
lionto wrote:

That would indeed be useful information, but I think in general most customers aren't really concerned about the exact blade weight. And besides, I've seen some crazy ranges, f.e. Victas Koji Matsushita from 82g to 94g or JSH from 92g to 104g.

Yes, I supposed many players are not concerned about many things. In fact most social players I know would just be satisfied with any blade they started with. But if they realize that proper selection of equipment can help them improve and therefore enjoy the game more many would take up the game more seriously - for the benefit of TT (and the TT market as a whole).

If the crazy ranges are the norm then it show the manufacturer may not have control over quality. But if it is the norm in the entire industry then perhaps these are probably the two reasons why manufacturer's did not bothered with the extra details/information.

Hope manufacturer's would realize this soon and be more proactive in promoting their own equipment. I for one would definitely choose products I am more certain about.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 21:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yes, I had the same thought. As long as you have the opportunity to weigh blades or have the vendor provide one in the weight range you want, then it provides the opportunity to choose.

Now, rubber on the other hand. Have you had very much variation in weight from sheet to sheet? I find quite a bit of difference from sheet to sheet but these are relatively cheap Chinese sheets. Does Tenergy 05 vary from one sheet to the next?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 14:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Classic old Double Happiness PF4 Chinese Penhold blade - 98.79g (!!!!!!!)

ImageImageImage

Looks like one of the old, heavily varnished five ply (might actually be seven) bass blades - these used to be very common. The red side dates this, though - the earlier ones had plain wood backs, this must have been post two color rule.

Colleague at work wants to try reverse penhold backhand so he removed the old rubber and I stuck on two Batwings 2.0. It was heavy before, weighs a ton now!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 May 2015, 20:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sanwei J7

Weight: 73.97g
Thickness: 5.23mm

ImageImage

Very thin blade, supposed to be for "defensive looping". Is NOT oversize. The thinnest blade I've ever come across. Says it's 100% limba, but it looks like plies 2,4 and 6 are one type of wood (has prominent annual rings which run perpendicular to blade thickness, which means quarter sawn wood) while plies 1,3,5 and 7 don't have these annual rings. Is that what limba looks like?? Looks like obeche (koto) to me. No idea what "Domino structure" is supposed to be, and why it's "on average".

Little metal plate fell off when I was scanning the blade - doesn't effect play but it's not an encouraging sign.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 18:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yinhe N10 83.42g 6.54mm

This is, together with my favorite N11, the cheapest blade in the Yinhe catalog. A colleague bought it, since no N11s were in stock.

ImageImage

About 3 1/2g heavier and slightly thinner than a N11.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 18:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

7 ply hinoki roundup

Spent a lot more on blades this month that I did the previous year!

1) Nittaku Septear 81.24g 6.52mm

2) Darker 7P-2A 73.49g 6.14mm

3) Yinhe Kiso 7 85.13g 6.99mm

ImageImage

Handle ends:

ImageImageImage

Despite all being 7 ply hinoki blades, they're quite different. The Darker is the lightest and thinnest of the lot, has a lot of feel and is perhaps ALL. The Septear is a little faster and feels quite a bit heavier. Both have thicker plies in the 3 ply core and two very thin plies next to the surface. The Kiso 7 has FIVE thick plies, only the two surface plies are slightly thinner. It is considerably thicker than the other two. The Septear and Darker have lots of feel, but I don't get as much power in the flat hits. Very nice for over-the-table play, for flicks, drop shots, and slide-rolls (to the corners near the net). Just received the Kiso 7, it's considerably heavier than the other two so my sheet of Green Dragon goes on here (it's a VERY LIGHT rubber sheet - 48 grams uncut!). Will varnish it tonight (not that I think it needs it, but it'll keep water out of the edges). All three blades have that distinctive hinoki smell - sort of like pine, just not as strong. I've no idea why the Kiso-7 has "Malaysia" wood-burned into the back surface - it's made in Taiwan. But it was special-ordered (it's otherwise unobtainium) - maybe they did it just for my one blade..?? There's a slightly thicker Darker - the 7P-2A.5 (weird names..), I might get one later. The Septear's handle is somewhat polygonal - you can feel the corners. The Darker's is SMOOOOOOOOTH. The Yinhe's is likewise, perhaps slightly fatter.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 11:23 

Blade: DHS H. Hao III
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Bfly Tenergy 05FX
I think my Yinhe/Galaxy T-11+ is the lightest blade i have so far, then maybe followed by N-11 or Yasaka Extra [plain].

Main blade is under my profile name.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 16:24 

anyone wan sell off his Viscaria bat?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 18:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Why not get a new "fish scale" "Viscera" from ttnpp? :lol:

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!