OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 14:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 00:42 
HE-LP on land or sea

The Player: An intermediate middle distance attacker. Loops and hits on both wings. Strengths: Open play (looping, blocking, hitting) and serving Weakness: service return.

The Blade: A Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive

The Rubbers: Nittaku H3 Neo Forehand (black) and Xiom Vega (red)

Physical Properties: It seems to have the plies as my Offensive CR (walnut top ply). However, the core is much thicker, and the top ply seems a little thicker then the OC CR. As such, the blade is a lot stiffer then the OC. However, its extremely well made. I picked this up after I found out that Yasaka was no longer licensing Stiga in Japan (a really dumb business decision considering that Stiga racquets are much more popular then Yasaka's in Japan), and leaving me looking for an alternative elsewhere.

Playing properties: The Blade is much stiffer then the OC, and gives a better feel on the backhand then the OC. (the OC is notorious for this.....) On the forehand, it doesn't flex as much as the OC, so theres no snap on hard topspins. However, this blade is very "stable" feeling, something sorely missing in the OC. Its much harder to soft block, however, when you get it right, the effects are devastating.

Loops: On the backhand side, with vega, the loops are very high quality, with solid upward contact being rewarded with sharp arc and a very good second kick. Much better directional (E-W) control as opposed to the OC CR. On the forehand, H3 rewards a very forward stroke, with a very sharp downward curve that puts a heave emphasis on correct racket angle. Its hard to create blade whip with this racket, because its much stiffer then the OC CR.

Serves: I know why Ma Lin uses this: Its has a very good feeling for serving. It does everything very very well. No complaints here.

Blocking: excellent. The stiffness gives it a great feeling of stability in all kinds of blocks. However, not as good OC CR at varying the pace of returns.

Babe Factor: My Girlfriend likes playing with it.......

Overall: A very solid racket that wont bowl you over with speed, but does everything well......Provides a good base for its user to play using all skills.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 01:55 

That's what I found out untill I dressed it with soft bouncy Joola energy xtra 37° max. I was actually on my way to sell my YEO to a club mate and I didn't know what to stick on. I took these two sheets out of my cupboard and made a try. I usually don't like too soft rubbers and play with 42 to 45° material. When I tried this combo before giving it to him I couldn't believe how juicy it was. It's a real winner and so fun to play with. So I told the guy, sorry, and kept it...I know it's bad, but couldn't let this baby go. The blade itself is one of the most beautiful blade I have with it's walnut outer ply. Does someone know what else it is made with ?
I'm not pretending it's playing better with soft rubbers, but for my game, it does. it is definetely a "must keep" in any decent EJ collection.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 05:29 
Super User

rmaxwellusn wrote:
The Player: An intermediate middle distance attacker. Loops and hits on both wings. Strengths: Open play (looping, blocking, hitting) and serving Weakness: service return.

The Blade: A Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive

The Rubbers: Nittaku H3 Neo Forehand (black) and Xiom Vega (red)

Physical Properties: It seems to have the plies as my Offensive CR (walnut top ply). However, the core is much thicker, and the top ply seems a little thicker then the OC CR. As such, the blade is a lot stiffer then the OC. However, its extremely well made. I picked this up after I found out that Yasaka was no longer licensing Stiga in Japan (a really dumb business decision considering that Stiga racquets are much more popular then Yasaka's in Japan), and leaving me looking for an alternative elsewhere.

Playing properties: The Blade is much stiffer then the OC, and gives a better feel on the backhand then the OC. (the OC is notorious for this.....) On the forehand, it doesn't flex as much as the OC, so theres no snap on hard topspins. However, this blade is very "stable" feeling, something sorely missing in the OC. Its much harder to soft block, however, when you get it right, the effects are devastating.

Loops: On the backhand side, with vega, the loops are very high quality, with solid upward contact being rewarded with sharp arc and a very good second kick. Much better directional (E-W) control as opposed to the OC CR. On the forehand, H3 rewards a very forward stroke, with a very sharp downward curve that puts a heave emphasis on correct racket angle. Its hard to create blade whip with this racket, because its much stiffer then the OC CR.

Serves: I know why Ma Lin uses this: Its has a very good feeling for serving. It does everything very very well. No complaints here.

Blocking: excellent. The stiffness gives it a great feeling of stability in all kinds of blocks. However, not as good OC CR at varying the pace of returns.

Babe Factor: My Girlfriend likes playing with it.......

Overall: A very solid racket that wont bowl you over with speed, but does everything well......Provides a good base for its user to play using all skills.

how is this blade compared with clipper? would be good for short pips cpen , i like yasaka blades

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 08:53 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

similar but i think clipper gives a bit more dwell time

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 17:47 

decoy wrote:
similar but i think clipper gives a bit more dwell time

how bout the short game? which has better control on service returns and short pushes?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 03:42 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

even though clipper is 7 ply the speed of both seems similar..

for short game clipper is good enough ( clipper wood) with i use a clipper with Galaxy venus 2( speed glued) and old sheet of tenergy. the tacky venus is does like most tacky rubbers on the short game. and the tenergy 05fx ( lost most of its grip) is very easy to generate power with, ofcourse but spin as well.. clipper seems to have greater dwell than the MEO

clipper just seems softer

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!