OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 17:20 
I am Legend
I am Legend

There have been some old rumours about a few Galaxy blades that I'm going to dispell right now.

K4 - The 'Timo Boll Spirit clone'.
For: It does have a koto top. It's 5+2 ply. Nice feel. Would not be disappointed.
Against: It's thicker, faster and has a slightly higher ping. Core is about 0.5mm thicker. Maybe 1.

T1 - The 'Schlager Carbon clone'.
For: It's thick.
Against: It has a thin (0.5) Juniper (NOT AMERICAN CYPRESS) top. Don't have anything to measure thickness with right now, but I estimate 7mm thickness. Slightly thinner than a real SC I think (maybe a couple of 0.mms)? Much lighter too. Not as fast.
Notes: Blade is much 'Pingier'

M6 - The 'Clipper Wood Clone'.
For: It's actually a pretty good blade. Nice feel. It's 7 ply.
Against: Top ply is Koto, not Limba. Middle plies are not as thick. Overall blade is not as thick. Softer feel. Sound is lower.
Notes: Seems a lot closer to a Persson Powerplay than a Clipper construction wise.

W6 - The 'Yasaka Extra Clone'.
For: It's actually a pretty good blade.
Against: Not even close to the extra. Thicker overall and the core is massively thick on this blade. Faster than the Extra - more like a Korbel I reckon. Not flexible like the Extra either.

There you have it. I feel these days that the Galaxy made blades are pretty high quality, but to call them clones of other more expensive brands is completely untrue. They're good blades in their own right.

If there is one gripe I have with Galaxy construction quality, it's that it's not that uncommon to get blades of symmetrical design with different thickness plies - the M6 I have here suffers from it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 20:59 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Does Galaxy actually say they are clones or is it from intermediate distributors?
or are they saying the galaxy blades play like the dearer blades?

and thanks for your technical knowledge as the only wood I can tell is balsa lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 22:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

distributors.
A lie perpetuated by some of the first stockists to acquire and promote them... I won't point fingers, but some of us know who they are.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 23:41 

Are any of the other Galaxy blades good?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 01:38 
Horse Hockey!

I had a W-1 and it was of very high quality. Hard, stiff, and very fast. If I remember right it was a bit on the heavy side, something like 94g or so. Too fast for me so I traded it to a 2500 rated player for a lesson. :)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 03:12 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

galaxy make great blades, I own plenty of them. Right now I am using the mc-1, but have in storage a custom, mc-2, m-6, t-2 and a k-3. I find galaxy blades very affordable and a good at everything but does not excel in 1 thing.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 10:39 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I have had many W-1 blades. Most weighed about 85g. It is my favorite blade.

If Butterfly made it, it would cost over $150 I bet. The construction is totally different than most blades. The middle ply has the grain running from blade face to blade face, not length wise or side ways. That center ply stops about where the rubber stops and a different wood is in the handle. None of my blades are "pingy". It is a fast blade but loops very well. My coaches love it but to them, it costs too much. I get them here for about $45. They are about $60 in the U.S. Most people here make less than $200 a month so that makes the blade expensive to them. Your heavy W-1 is probably why you describe it the way you do. A heavy blade always feels faster and less feel, at least for me. My friend likes 100 to 110g one plys. He ordered a light one and used it for 2 minutes, tore the rubbers off and said, JUNK. Too slow. :)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 10:43 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
I own an M6 and I never got it because it was supposed to be a Clipper Clone. I got it because it was recommended to me and I don't regret the decision. It is a little thin but it is a good blade with very little vibration except on high impact strokes. It is controllable with decent power from up close to the table. The handle could be a bit thicker but grip tape solves that issue. And it is cheap, good value for money.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 14:07 

I have a W-1. I would not call it stiff. I would call it bouncy. Too bouncy for my liking in the short game. Unless I use Chinese rubber.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 09:30 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
It is the same way here hookshot. Most people think more than 20 dollars for a rubber or more than 50 dollars for a racket is way too much. And the exchange rate makes it even harder since everything has to be paid for at the dollar rate. It is hard to get a lot of stuff and I think Chinese brands are actually helping make the game more popular by making it more affordable.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 15:45 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I am aware of that Speedplay. When I first started selling oil paintings, I had low prices. I did not sell many. Another artist at a show said, "Your paintings are very good. Raise the price about 5 times what you have." They started selling like crazy.

I know people that use the most expensive blades and rubbers too, kind of like bragging rights. LOL

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 17:52 
Super User

k5 - The Viscaria clone
For: Arylate Carbon, mid soft feel, mid fast (OFF)
Against: Doesn't have bulsa Core, at 7mm way thicker than Viscaria, faster than Viscaria, and handle is narrow and faceted while Viscaria handle is flatter and larger.
Notes: K-5 is one of the best blades i played along with 729 V-6 for that price.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 18:12 

Just bought and played a U-2 which is supposed (or suggested) to be an improved version of the m-6 or at least closely related. Really nice blade with very thin - good quality - koto topply. 6 mm thickness overall, a smidge thicker then m-6. As with the E-series blades the U-2 and U-1 (more like the m-5) have a softer more elastic glueing between veneers then usuall for galaxy supposed to make the blades more dynamic for non-voc gluing. Overall quality is excellent certainly - but not only - for the price.