OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 15:12 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Ranger-man wrote:
ow if we can just maybe do one thing, and that is to arrange the blades mentioned after each wood type in a certain order. Just to make it easier to find "our" blade in there. I guess we could use "manufacturer as the basis here.

Hi, Ranger-man. This makes sense ... except that the blades already ARE in a certain order. I'd put them in alphabetical order. For instance, if you look at the blades listed under "ayous," here is the list: e.g., Avalox BT555, Avalox P500, Avalox P700, Butterfly Adolescen, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Kong Ling Hui, Butterfly M. Maze, Butterfly Petr Korbel, Butterfly Primorac, Butterfly Zhang Yining, Cornilleau Hinotec ALL+, Cornilleau Hinotec OFF-, Dawei GTS, Dawei Wavestone, Donic Dicon, Donic Liping Kitex, Donic Opticon RS, Donic Waldner V1, DHS H-WL, DHS Hurricane Hao, DHS Hurricane King, Galaxy/Yinhe M-4, Joola Fever, Joola Guo, Joola K5, Joola MC1, Joola Wing Fast, Joola Wing Medium, Nexy Color, Nittaku Ludeack, Nittaku Wang Nan, Stiga Allround Classic, Stiga Allround Evolution, Stiga Clipper, Stiga Ebenholz NCT V, Stiga Energy Wood, Stiga Offensive Classic Old, Stiga Offensive Classic New, Stiga Tube Offensive, Tibhar IV-L, Tibhar IV-L Light Contact, Xiom Amadeus, Xiom Aria, Xiom Fuga, Xiom Jazz, Xiom Maximus, Yasaka Extra, Yasaka Extra Offensive

As you can see, the Avalox blades come first, followed by Butterfly, then Cornilleau, Dawei, etc. Moreover, even within the list for each manufacturer, they are in alphabetical order. So I think it should be easy to find any blade you'd be looking for, right?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 22:53 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
TraditionalTradesman wrote:
Ranger-man wrote:
ow if we can just maybe do one thing, and that is to arrange the blades mentioned after each wood type in a certain order. Just to make it easier to find "our" blade in there. I guess we could use "manufacturer as the basis here.

Hi, Ranger-man. This makes sense ... except that the blades already ARE in a certain order. I'd put them in alphabetical order. For instance, if you look at the blades listed under "ayous," here is the list: e.g., Avalox BT555, Avalox P500, Avalox P700, Butterfly Adolescen, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Kong Ling Hui, Butterfly M. Maze, Butterfly Petr Korbel, Butterfly Primorac, Butterfly Zhang Yining, Cornilleau Hinotec ALL+, Cornilleau Hinotec OFF-, Dawei GTS, Dawei Wavestone, Donic Dicon, Donic Liping Kitex, Donic Opticon RS, Donic Waldner V1, DHS H-WL, DHS Hurricane Hao, DHS Hurricane King, Galaxy/Yinhe M-4, Joola Fever, Joola Guo, Joola K5, Joola MC1, Joola Wing Fast, Joola Wing Medium, Nexy Color, Nittaku Ludeack, Nittaku Wang Nan, Stiga Allround Classic, Stiga Allround Evolution, Stiga Clipper, Stiga Ebenholz NCT V, Stiga Energy Wood, Stiga Offensive Classic Old, Stiga Offensive Classic New, Stiga Tube Offensive, Tibhar IV-L, Tibhar IV-L Light Contact, Xiom Amadeus, Xiom Aria, Xiom Fuga, Xiom Jazz, Xiom Maximus, Yasaka Extra, Yasaka Extra Offensive

As you can see, the Avalox blades come first, followed by Butterfly, then Cornilleau, Dawei, etc. Moreover, even within the list for each manufacturer, they are in alphabetical order. So I think it should be easy to find any blade you'd be looking for, right?

:|
You are right TT, now that I look at the list more closely, they are actually in the order that I was thinking off, so yep, it works great and is easy to fin the blade we are looking for.

Great job again mate, and I certainly think this will help us get an idea of how each blade plays or should play and help choose equipment.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 19:42 
Super User

You have done a great job, TradtionalTradesman! :clap:

While visiting Beijing Expo last whole week, I took time off to visit a TT research centre. I was shown articles(in chinese) of the similar nature but in greater detail. There were video clips that showed the playing characteristic of the main wood materials. It is fantastic to watch in slow motion the strength each material exhibits in terms of spin, power and dwell time, given the same thickness of fixed rubber type. Perhaps OOAK could do one such research. :P

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 20:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
jixiaolan wrote:
While visiting Beijing Expo last whole week, I took time off to visit a TT research centre. I was shown articles(in chinese) of the similar nature but in greater detail. There were video clips that showed the playing characteristic of the main wood materials. It is fantastic to watch in slow motion the strength each material exhibits in terms of spin, power and dwell time, given the same thickness of fixed rubber type. Perhaps OOAK could do one such research. :P

Wow that sounds very interesting jixiaolan! I don't suppose there is any way of getting hold of these articles or videos, is there?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 16:32 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

jixiaolan wrote:
a TT research centre

A TT research centre? Wow, I didn't know such things existed. I just thought table tennis equipment manufacturers did their own testing. I'd love to be able to read about some of this research.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 18:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
jixiaolan wrote:
a TT research centre

A TT research centre? Wow, I didn't know such things existed.

Yes, I thought these only existed in the minds of the marketing departments :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 02:59 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks Fleetwood999, that's very useful!

Interesting to see the "Monnin Hardness" mentioned, I had not heard of this.

Do you have any idea of the range of this scale, ie what's value would a really soft wood and a really hard wood be? A google search did not reveal much information...

Sorry to be so slow to reply. I've just finished in a five day TT camp taught by Jon Bosika and Ilija Lupulesku.

Monnin hardness is a measure of how resistant the wood is to being indented.

Balsa 0.3
Western Red Cedar 1.1
Common Pine 2.5
Teak wood 4.7
Ebony 7.0
Padouk 8.3
Ipe 14.6
Greenheart 19.8

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 07:07 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I've added in as examples blades from the latest entries on the blade composite index.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 09:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

fleetwood999 wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Thanks Fleetwood999, that's very useful!

Interesting to see the "Monnin Hardness" mentioned, I had not heard of this.

Do you have any idea of the range of this scale, ie what's value would a really soft wood and a really hard wood be? A google search did not reveal much information...

Sorry to be so slow to reply. I've just finished in a five day TT camp taught by Jon Bosika and Ilija Lupulesku.

Monnin hardness is a measure of how resistant the wood is to being indented.

Balsa 0.3
Western Red Cedar 1.1
Common Pine 2.5
Teak wood 4.7
Ebony 7.0
Padouk 8.3
Ipe 14.6
Greenheart 19.8

Thank you, that is very useful!

Sounds like a great camp, did you get much out of it? sorry....perhaps a topic for a new thread...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 17:47 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
jixiaolan wrote:

Wow that sounds very interesting jixiaolan! I don't suppose there is any way of getting hold of these articles or videos, is there?

Sorry to disappoint you as to me, but the access to these articles is being controlled, as they are results of years of study by the people concerned. I consider myself very fortunate getting to see them. Actually I was trying to get some replica of them - those materials we are familiar such as koto/spruce /ayous etc. Well the reply was, as expected, negative.

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 05:31 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

In my continuing effort to understand how different types of materials work in blades, I came across this very technical but very informative thread on another forum:
http://www.tabletennisforum.gr/forum_posts.asp?TID=11262

(Some people from our forum were actually participants in that discussion.)

Anyway, some of you, especially anyone with a math/engineering/physics background, may find the info in that thread very interesting, while others may find it inaccessible, but I figured I'd include the link here for anyone who's interested.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 14:30 

planchonello: planchonello outer layers produce great speed; this wood is most often found in blades designed for the power attacker.
e.g. the outer layer of joo se hyuk and mazunov

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 07:45 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Thanks, Mengcan1985. I've added in the two examples you provided. If anyone else has more info about properties of woods that haven't been addressed yet or additional examples of blades not listed that contain any given wood, please don't hesitate to post.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 00:47 

Thank you great post! I can't cure my limba addiction. :D

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 02:10 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Frogger wrote:
Thank you great post! I can't cure my limba addiction. :D

Glad you're finding it useful. I've been trying, every now and then, to put in additional blade examples for each type of wood, but if anyone has information they'd like to add, either in the way of examples or, even better, giving descriptions of the properties of woods (or other blade-construction materials) that are, as yet, blank or incomplete, please post the info here, and I will edit it into the original thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next