OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 00:47 
The Wood Magician

TheRobot99 wrote:
I have a few questions:

Which ply is most responsible for dwell time?
Which woods offer good dwell time?

Dwell time can come from both the softness of the wood and the amount of flex in the blade.

For dwell due the softness of the wood, the closer the wood is to the point of impact, the greater the dwell. So, the outer ply will have the greatest contribution. If you have question about a certain type of wood, look up its Janka rating - it's a measurement of wood hardness. The lower the number, the softer the wood. The different varieties of cedar are on the low end of the scale and provide good dwell. Limba, too.

Dwell due to flex is a combination of type of wood and the physical composition of the blade. Things like the number and orientation of the plies, the percentage of wood grain running horizontally vs vertically, the overall thickness of the blade, the flexibility of each type of wood used all contribute to the flexibility of the blade.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 01:59 
Super User

TheRobot99 wrote:
I have a few questions:

Which ply is most responsible for dwell time?
Which woods offer good dwell time?

You must look at the combination about the kind of layers and also the kind of gluing. My tt-blade "Seven tt-holz" offers a real good dwell time because the kind of gluing and the direction from the different layers

uli

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 23:14 

So if I wanted more dwell time on harder shots, should I move the soft wood to the second layer and get a core that didn't flex until hit hard?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 11:33 
The Wood Magician

TheRobot99 wrote:
So if I wanted more dwell time on harder shots, should I move the soft wood to the second layer and get a core that didn't flex until hit hard?

Welcome to the endless world of blade experimentation. :)

A soft medial ply can provide a cushion for a harder outer, so that its softness contributes more when the outer is hit hard. Regarding flex, my guess is that for the magnitude of forces involved, the deflection is going to be fairly linear for most blades. For highest flex, you want to either minimize the thickness and/or use high elasticity woods - especially on the outer plies (or orient the grain horizontally closer to the blades's surface). Each type of wood has its own modulus of elasticity (MOE - its measure of stiffness). The type of glue has a contribution (as Uli noted). The thickness of the plies has a contribution. There are so many variables involved that there's really no way to be fully certain of how a new composition will behave without empirical testing.

I'm convinced that this is why there is so little source data on blade composition - the manufacturer has expended so much time on experimental prototypes to arrive at a successful composition (some educated guesses and some luck) that they'd prefer not to give away the farm by revealing the details. What you do get is some crazy ad copy in marketingese - you know what I mean. "astounding disruptive blah due to blah, blah, blah" :)

IMO, that is.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 22:54 

Ross Leidy wrote:
TheRobot99 wrote:

Welcome to the endless world of blade experimentation. :)

A soft medial ply can provide a cushion for a harder outer, so that its softness contributes more when the outer is hit hard. Regarding flex, my guess is that for the magnitude of forces involved, the deflection is going to be fairly linear for most blades. For highest flex, you want to either minimize the thickness and/or use high elasticity woods - especially on the outer plies (or orient the grain horizontally closer to the blades's surface). Each type of wood has its own modulus of elasticity (MOE - its measure of stiffness). The type of glue has a contribution (as Uli noted). The thickness of the plies has a contribution. There are so many variables involved that there's really no way to be fully certain of how a new composition will behave without empirical testing.

I'm convinced that this is why there is so little source data on blade composition - the manufacturer has expended so much time on experimental prototypes to arrive at a successful composition (some educated guesses and some luck) that they'd prefer not to give away the farm by revealing the details. What you do get is some crazy ad copy in marketingese - you know what I mean. "astounding disruptive blah due to blah, blah, blah" :)

IMO, that is.
Thanks a lot Ross. Maybe as a Christmas present for myself you'll get an order from me lol.

I'm a chemical engineering major, so testing this stuff is very appealing to me.....except for the whole lack of money part so I have to ask tons of questions to get close to what I want.... ;(

As for the lack of blade composition information, that would be negated if someone took apart their blade to inspect the composition and assembly, but that might be another reason why blades can be so expensive. Nobody would really toss that much money just to see how exactly a TBS is assembled.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 06:05 
Super User

I do wonder what the playing characteristics of cork are.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 01:10 
Super User

How fast is the westen red cedar on your site, ross?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 01:40 
The Wood Magician

iliketurtles wrote:
How fast is the westen red cedar on your site, ross?

Since it's very soft, it would be considered more of a control wood. However, make it thick enough (10mm) and you'd get some speed. :)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 08:59 
Super User

I read that douglas-fir is almost identical to spruce.

Does anybody know about this?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 05:47 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I made a number of edits/updates/additions to the wood properties list, thanks to some helpful information provided by Julius.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 03:20 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So i saw spantex paper and black cloth on there. What would that do???? How about printer paper??? :lol: :lol:

Does it cushion, or does it just use more glue the blade ends up stiffer?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:03 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Basswood is also known as lime-tree.

Chequer tree [Sorbus torminalis, aka (wild) service tree, Elsbeere, Schweizer Birnbaum] is of medium hardness, very firm, but still elastic. As the second layer, it bestows a somewhat flatter return curve to the cover veneer. As outermost ply it is fast and especially useful for topspin with varying speed and spin.

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
cherry:
e.g., BBC All Around
very stiff and hard, this wood has, as an outermost ply, a flat return curve. It is mainly famous for providing much spin reversal to slick rubbers, but is also said to support smashing quite well.

Ipil (Intsia bijuga, aka merbau, kwila) is similar to wenge but somewhat less hard. It is also suited for near-table play, possibly with spin reversal, but somewhat slower than wenge.
Please be aware, according to Greenpeace large amounts of ipil timber sourced from illegal logging are being traded. At the current rate of logging the tree will go extinct within 35yr.

Maple. There is a big difference between Canadian and European maple, here I mainly refer to the latter. The wood is light, medium hard, slow, and has well-balanced properties with regard to spin and control. It may be used as any layer in a blade. Canadian maple is remarkably harder and more durable.

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
okoume: a control wood. [needs more info]
e.g., TSP Katai Power OFF-
Okoumé (aka Gabun ) the wood is soft, rather elastic, and light-weight. It is typically used as core ply in ca. 2-4 mm thickness. It is an alternative to abachi as it is somewhat faster, spinnier, and has a flatter rebound curve.

Tineo (aka Indian Apple) is hard and has a somewhat flat return curve. As outer ply it is especially suited for topspin-smash play. It also supports spin reversal used with slick antis.

Wenge is extremely stiff and heavy. As outer ply, it is best suited for pips or antis operated near to the table, especially it supports spin reversal very well, but also some spin. It is not suited for pips in red, mounted without sponge because of its dark color shining through the rubber.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 01:06 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

YosuaYosan wrote:
Anyone know what LKT Instinct+ is made of ?

Now I know it's 100% Ayous :lol:
Might be a great transition to P700!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 13:13 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
iliketurtles wrote:
I read that douglas-fir is almost identical to spruce.

Does anybody know about this?

I do not know in therms of playing properties. However, in terms of biology, these are even different genera: douglas-fir is Pseudotsuga menziesii, whereas spruces belong biologically spoken to the genus Picea. Since often even neighboring species play different, it seems unlikely to me that the two mentioned ones play similar.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 02:26 

I just made a test blade and it looks okay.
Now I want to make a blade with a fast forehand and a very slow backhand for classic chopping with long pimples

I think Koto for the forehand is good, but what should I take for the backhand outer ply?
and what would you recommend for the inner plies and the core?

Thanks!

Joola Rosskopf exact medium
Stiga Destroyer OX
Yasaka Mark V

Galaxy K-4
Galaxy Moon Pro 2.0
DHS Hurricane 3 provincial 39°

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next