OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 03:24 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
theOldDuffer wrote:
haggisv wrote:
You make them look so nice Ross :oops:

A questions about handles... you seem to give them a smooth and varnished finished, which of course makes them look the nicest and it probably keeps them nice too.Has anyone mentioned they find that sort of finish too slippery, especially when they get sweaty hands? If so what are the options?

I've tried ChrisBuers blade, and was suprised how grippy the handle is despite looking shiny.

185g

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 20:48 

View to the World Championships in Alicante.

Attachments:
manico lungo.jpg
manico lungo.jpg [ 81.38 KiB | Viewed 9415 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 20:54 

other

Attachments:
682 - Copia.JPG
682 - Copia.JPG [ 154.97 KiB | Viewed 9414 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 20:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, that's a long handle!!! :o :o :o

Does it serve as a counter-weight perhaps?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 22:32 

Perhaps it was used as a counterweight. The player also changes grip, from European to penholder when defending or attacking. A show!!!!!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 17:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose you could let it slide until you're holding the very end of the handle (like a squash racket or tennis racket) for those hard-to-reach shots! :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 18:57 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
iskandar taib wrote:
I suppose you could let it slide until you're holding the very end of the handle (like a squash racket or tennis racket) for those hard-to-reach shots! :lol:

Iskandar

Afaik,

You must let it slide even when the player does hold the far end, cause,

No specific rule forbid that. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 23:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Come to think of it.. if you hold it by the end of the handle that'd be a great way to get phenomenal racket speed for your loops... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 01:52 
Super User

That's hilarious.

Okay so a few years ago there was a college kid, who played tennis for his university, who came to club who had someone make him a custom handle similar to this. Obviously not nearly as long. I would say it was about twice the length of a normal shakehand handle. He would hold it at the end.

It seemed to fit his tennis style stroke. As you might imagine, that forehand had so much power & speed from the elongated handle.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 01:55 
Super User

Theres some guys in Wisconsin here in the USA who are making this "coconut paddle"

http://coconutpaddles.myshopify.com/

Now they don't really know all that much as far as rubbers because the blades come with long pips on them. I'm guessing that's because they could mass buy them cheap & didn't know.

But still you can pull that off and put on whatever you like. I think the concept of it seems interesting.... Basically a nicer pistol grip from what I can tell.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 23:47 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
^ meanwhile my hand go awkward imagining how to wield those

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 19:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't think that's long pips - it's some sort of rubber that probably comes from McMaster Carr (note the horizontal and vertical rows of pips - definitely illegal pips arrangement).

There's a video on the website but nothing that shows anyone using one. It's about how they're made. Looks like they use pre-existing plywood (looks about 9mm thick!), and it's CNC-routed. Judging from the rubber they've got on it I don't expect any high level play. There's a couple of photos. It's held more or less like a Sanwei pistol grip racket. I'm going to invite them here, let them explain it themselves.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 12:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Hmm. Just found the price. $65 - a leetle bit much to spend on a whim (I could get a nice HRT Rosewood blade for that, I think). There's some specs, too - thickness (I don't know if this includes the rubber) is 1/4" (about 6.5mm). Weight is 6.7 ounces (190 grams) with rubber - they're using OX long pips, I think, so once you've stripped these off and added two sheets of inverted you're looking at maybe 240 grams - that would be unusable for most people. By contrast, my Sanwei Red Monkey Butt Special pistol grip blade with two sheets of 729 weighs only 154 grams.

https://coconutpaddles.myshopify.com/products/paddle

kim biceps wrote:
^ meanwhile my hand go awkward imagining how to wield those

Your middle finger goes up the hole, I think....

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 15:22 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
iskandar taib wrote:
Your middle finger goes up the hole

Now there's a .sig or a custom title waiting to happen. :D

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 13:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

hangdog wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Your middle finger goes up the hole

Now there's a .sig or a custom title waiting to happen. :D

Like this... :lol:

Is it my imagination, or is the grain in the top ply going ACROSS the blade (rather than lengthwise)?

Well, this photo suggests they're cutting the blades diagonally across the plywood's grain!

And it looks like a mixed bag here (you see some blades with grain going across and one with lengthwise grain).

They say they're using bamboo plywood, but it doesn't look like bamboo at all in the above photos - looks like birch aircraft plywood (which they sell in hobby stores, and is imported from Scandinavia, though these look like prototypes rather than the item for sale). If so that's why it's heavy. Bamboo is heavy, too. Most blades have obeche (ayous) or paulownia (kiri) or balsa cores - these woods are light. HRT does make a bamboo blade but the core is routed out (which may or may not be illegal). A solid bamboo blade would indeed be heavy.

This looks like bamboo - the top blade, at least, does. If you look closely you can see the discontinuities in the grain where the septa grow in the bamboo stalks.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next