OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 10:26 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

whats the name for my blade??

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 13:35 
The Wood Magician

decoy wrote:
whats the name for my blade??

I'll accept suggestions. :) Maybe after you give it a workout?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 15:08 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

ll have to actually have a go with it, im still waiting for new rubbers to arrive :( , they should be here in the next 5 days,, otherwise ill just try a relatively fresh hurricane 3(FH) and Neos Sound( BH) for wednesdays training, .. by the way what would be the best way to (file) the cork away, sandpaper or a file or something else, i want to minimise the chance of the cork snapping off or taking off too much

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 15:56 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Ross Leidy wrote:

It's interesting that you in particular have picked the nickname "Smoky" for the smoked eucalyptus blade, because Smokey the Bear is a well-recognized American icon. Kind of a fun coincidence.

And it's one of those words, like whiskey/whisky. I think I'll stick to the US spelling: Smokey.

Oh, and the other blade I've now called Mohawk, because I found calling it Mahogany was too much of a tongue twister. Was also going to call it Mahony or something similar.

But as I'm a bit of a bird lover, especially birds of prey, I like the hawk connotation.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 23:51 
The Wood Magician

decoy wrote:
ll have to actually have a go with it, im still waiting for new rubbers to arrive :( , they should be here in the next 5 days,, otherwise ill just try a relatively fresh hurricane 3(FH) and Neos Sound( BH) for wednesdays training, .. by the way what would be the best way to (file) the cork away, sandpaper or a file or something else, i want to minimise the chance of the cork snapping off or taking off too much

I'll PM you.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 00:51 
The Wood Magician

haggisv wrote:
A beautiful looking blade! I wonder how the unique shape would affect the balance and feel of the blade? Did you bounce a ball on it to get some ideas of the 'feel' Ross? I know that's very subjective, but it can sometimes give you some insight into the performance of the blade.

I did do a bounce test on the blade before shipping it out - whether due to the shape or the composition or both (most likely), the blade had a remarkably large sweet spot that only dropped-off significantly at the upper corners. With the extended length of the blade face and choice of plies, the blade tended towards a head-heavy feel. The client opted for a heavier handle to shift back the center of gravity towards the handle and rebalance the blade.

From my brief test, my estimate is that the blade will be a solid ALL. Subtle feedback that seemed slightly deferred, giving the sense that the ball was sinking into the wood.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 07:56 
Stir Crazy

Ross Leidy wrote:

Okay, you're a magician!

Looking at this image, it appears that the plies change at the end of the handle: what is a light coloured veneer down the length of the handle becomes a dark colour at the end, and vice versa. How is that even possible??????? :|

Of course, any answer will only prompt the question: Why? Is this all part of your obsession with extraordinary craftsmanship?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 08:24 
The Wood Magician

Tassie52 wrote:
Okay, you're a magician!

Looking at this image, it appears that the plies change at the end of the handle: what is a light coloured veneer down the length of the handle becomes a dark colour at the end, and vice versa. How is that even possible??????? :|

Of course, any answer will only prompt the question: Why? Is this all part of your obsession with extraordinary craftsmanship?

"See, nothing up my sleeve..." :)

The plies you're referring to are Anigre in two different thickness and with grain oriented at right angles. The end grain absorbs the more sealer than the edge grain, making the end grain appear darker. No magic but the magic inherent in wood. :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 12:40 
Stir Crazy

Ross Leidy wrote:
The plies you're referring to are Anigre in two different thickness and with grain oriented at right angles. The end grain absorbs the more sealer than the edge grain, making the end grain appear darker. No magic but the magic inherent in wood. :)

Aaaahhh! Magic indeed.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 13:01 
Hard Justice

Ross Leidy wrote:

So that explains why the middle ply of my Tibhar blade is dark on the top and bottom, but light on the sides; I just never thought about it much.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 07:24 
The Wood Magician

I've been working on a new blade design with a smaller face - 155mm (L) x 149mm (W). For the prototype blade, I chose a slender flared handle (110mm). The slightly elongated handle helps to shift the balance point towards the handle.

This defensive composition is a 5-ply of
Alaskan Yellow Cedar - Anigre - Balsa - Anigre - Alaskan Yellow Cedar
Hawaiian Koa handle
5.5mm
84g

It's got a nice flex to it, so it should be good for looping even though the shape is probably narrower than a dedicated looping blade.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 09:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

[quote="Ross Leidy"]I've been working on a new blade design with a smaller face - 155mm (L) x 149mm (W). For the prototype blade, I chose a slender flared handle (110mm). The slightly elongated handle helps to shift the balance point towards the handle.

This defensive composition is a 5-ply of
Alaskan Yellow Cedar - Anigre - Balsa - Anigre - Alaskan Yellow Cedar
Hawaiian Koa handle
5.5mm
84g

It's got a nice flex to it, so it should be good for looping even though the shape is probably narrower than a dedicated looping blade.

Ross,
The handle design and the shallow throat look very similar to the bespoke blade I mentioned to you. I have not measured the head size of pattern blade, but will do so tomorrow. I will be talking to my friend soon and will provide him with these pictures for his consideration.
Thomas

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 10:41 

Lovely stuff Ross, this blade has caused me to revisit the thread and see the Ziricote and Bocote handle again. Should have mentioned it before- It is a cracking looking blade that one. Where there is a greater amount of Balsa in your paddles it's a good idea to have the wooden edge band but these recent ones without it are beautiful. I'm a bit swamped with 'real' work at the moment but would like to make a few more different shaped templates also, thanks for the update on your progress.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 10:51 

That's a fine looking blade. :clap:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 03:06 
The Wood Magician

theOldDuffer wrote:
Ross,
The handle design and the shallow throat look very similar to the bespoke blade I mentioned to you. I have not measured the head size of pattern blade, but will do so tomorrow. I will be talking to my friend soon and will provide him with these pictures for his consideration.
Thomas

A happy coincidence! Let me know if I can provide any info.

makepaddle wrote:
Lovely stuff Ross, this blade has caused me to revisit the thread and see the Ziricote and Bocote handle again. Should have mentioned it before- It is a cracking looking blade that one. Where there is a greater amount of Balsa in your paddles it's a good idea to have the wooden edge band but these recent ones without it are beautiful. I'm a bit swamped with 'real' work at the moment but would like to make a few more different shaped templates also, thanks for the update on your progress.

Thanks, Adam. It was my first use of those wood types on a blade - not the last, I'm sure.
Yes, I hate when life gets in the way of blade-making. :)

Oskar wrote:
That's a fine looking blade. :clap:

Thanks much!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next