OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2010, 15:30 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Thanks for the advice, OldDuffer. I'm not going to go too crazy on the rubbers, just stick to something decent in the ALL to OFF- range.

Sometime early next year I'll write about my experiences with the blades. Maybe even get a few buddies to give their views. Looking forward to it.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2010, 22:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Oskar wrote:
Thanks for the advice, OldDuffer. I'm not going to go too crazy on the rubbers, just stick to something decent in the ALL to OFF- range.

Sometime early next year I'll write about my experiences with the blades. Maybe even get a few buddies to give their views. Looking forward to it.

Merry Christmas, at least it is still Saturday here:) Or Happy Boxing Day to those who have already moved on.:) Off to work
tOD

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 11:23 
The Wood Magician

Here's a completely impractical blade due to its heft. However, a friend who is obsessed with speed requested it. It has double plies of bloodwood on both faces. Bloodwood has the highest janka rating (hardness) of any veneer I've used so far - 2900 - and has the weight to go along with it. I will probably get a chance to try it out tomorrow, and then most likely retire it as a display blade.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 12:21 

Ross, it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - BEAUTIFUL! :clap:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 14:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ross Leidy wrote:
Here's a completely impractical blade due to its heft. However, a friend who is obsessed with speed requested it. It has double plies of bloodwood on both faces. Bloodwood has the highest janka rating (hardness) of any veneer I've used so far - 2900 - and has the weight to go along with it. I will probably get a chance to try it out tomorrow, and then most likely retire it as a display blade.

What is the thickness of the bloodwood? I was thinking about using a very thin veneer of it on one side the Wave U-S-B. In theory should provide the greatest reversal, but the weight would be an issue. What do you think?
tOD

I agree, it is beautiful.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 05:51 
The Wood Magician

theOldDuffer wrote:
What is the thickness of the bloodwood? I was thinking about using a very thin veneer of it on one side the Wave U-S-B. In theory should provide the greatest reversal, but the weight would be an issue. What do you think?
tOD

I agree, it is beautiful.

Thomas,
The bloodwood veneer is the standard 1/42" or 0.6mm thick. We could create a variant of the Wave U-S-B and replace the FH limba outer ply with the bloodwood. The specific gravity is .95, so the wood still floats, but just barely. My guess is that it might add 5-7g to the overall weight. PM me if you'd like to pursue this.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 08:25 

Hi Ross, how're your investigations into getting a lasered veneer makers mark going? So sure that it would push the desirability of your blades up another rung!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 07:17 
The Wood Magician

makepaddle wrote:
Hi Ross, how're your investigations into getting a lasered veneer makers mark going? So sure that it would push the desirability of your blades up another rung!

I have a lead on someone who will make them - now I need to determine just what shape and what should be on them. (The hard part.) :)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 16:36 

As I said before, Ross, if you ever want to brainstorm your 'mark' or logo I'd be happy to be part of the process. In fact, I agree with makepaddle that it is the only thing missing. You need that 'cherry on the top'.

Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong simply using your name, either based on your signature or playing around with some typefaces.

Or, like your kayak identity: Blue Heron, you might consider another bird or animal.

If you want to have a 'muckaround' with stuff like that we can do it via PM.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 23:30 

I have a lead on someone who will make them - now I need to determine just what shape and what should be on them. (The hard part.) :)[/quote]

Look forward to seeing what happens. It's difficult to work out the design of something like a logo but fun too. Something very simple would work well with your blades. I had some small labels lasered a few years ago, small type is nice and detailed. Your idea of a circle and forstner bit is logical, good luck.

Adam

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 01:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

makepaddle wrote:
I have a lead on someone who will make them - now I need to determine just what shape and what should be on them. (The hard part.) :)

Look forward to seeing what happens. It's difficult to work out the design of something like a logo but fun too. Something very simple would work well with your blades. I had some small labels lasered a few years ago, small type is nice and detailed. Your idea of a circle and forstner bit is logical, good luck.

Adam[/quote]

The thing about a logo is that you are essentially married to it, for as long as you use a logo. Very few changes of logos, updating, etc have been overwhelmingly successful, but avoid the trendy because while a classic style is something that "should" never go out of style. I am very much interested in seeing what Ross decides to use.
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 08:33 

I was impressed by your signature on the wooden tags. As OldDuffer says, keep it simple.

Ross, with regard to individual blades, do you identify them by the wood you use? Do you give them names?

I hope you don't mind, but, at this stage, I've nicknamed one of your blades, Smoky.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 09:55 
The Wood Magician

Oskar wrote:
I was impressed by your signature on the wooden tags. As OldDuffer says, keep it simple.

Ross, with regard to individual blades, do you identify them by the wood you use? Do you give them names?

I hope you don't mind, but, at this stage, I've nicknamed one of your blades, Smoky.

Thanks - my hope is that the tag conveys that each blade is individually crafted. As for the naming, I do intend to name the compositions - at least those that are not Frankenstein experiments. Although, even that's not a hard-and-fast rule; the double-bloodwood blade has picked up the moniker, "The Destroyer". :)

It's interesting that you in particular have picked the nickname "Smoky" for the smoked eucalyptus blade, because Smokey the Bear is a well-recognized American icon. Kind of a fun coincidence.

As with the topic of branding, I need to dedicate some time to names, as well. So much to do, so little time. :)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 10:06 
The Wood Magician

I just completed a commissioned blade for a gentleman in Singapore. He requested a custom shape and composition, and we worked out this blade. The conic handle is made from Ziricote and Bocote.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 10:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A beautiful looking blade! I wonder how the unique shape would affect the balance and feel of the blade? Did you bounce a ball on it to get some ideas of the 'feel' Ross? I know that's very subjective, but it can sometimes give you some insight into the performance of the blade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next