OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 10:45 
The Wood Magician

Carbon effect without carbon?

Well, that's yet to be seen, but that was the idea behind this blade. A friend wanted to see if I could achieve the rigidity and speed of carbon in an all-wood blade. Using the same small blade shape as the one above, this one is a straight handle 5-ply of alaskan yellow cedar - ipe - balsa - ipe - alaskan yellow cedar. The handle is pacific yew. Ipe is one of the hardest woods on earth (janka 3680) and it's incredibly rigid, but it is quite heavy. However, this blade came in at a svelte 82g.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 10:56 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

i think ive finally got a name for the blade i received from Ross, its a toss up between "Pocket Rocket" , " Trampoline" and Gauss( Cannon), and just for the fun of it "Red Devil"( United Fan) because both rubbers are red

( it would have been more of a red devil if the blade was red allround or perhaps a red dyed balsa core :P)

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 11:18 
The Wood Magician

decoy wrote:
i think ive finally got a name for the blade i received from Ross, its a toss up between "Pocket Rocket" , " Trampoline" and Gauss( Cannon), and just for the fun of it "Red Devil"( United Fan) because both rubbers are red

( it would have been more of a red devil if the blade was red allround or perhaps a red dyed balsa core :P)

Great suggestions, and given my engineering background, Gauss sounds great to me. So, Gauss it is! Thanks, my friend.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 11:46 
Hard Justice

Looks like you found a use for some of the leftover veneer (and looks like the same template too! :-)) I'd say once you get to Bloodwood and up on the janka scale, the speed and rigidity definitely rival carbon.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 12:08 
The Wood Magician

abdulmuhsee wrote:
Looks like you found a use for some of the leftover veneer (and looks like the same template too! :-)) I'd say once you get to Bloodwood and up on the janka scale, the speed and rigidity definitely rival carbon.

The shape was designed from scratch. It is slightly larger than your Tibhar blade. But, dude, you let the cat out of the bag for the observant! :)

[Edit: Actually, it probably is close in size to your Tibhar. When I compared the two templates, I had forgotten that I had reduced the Tibhar-based one to account for the edge banding, which I didn't use on these last two blades.]

Last edited by Ross Leidy on 28 Feb 2011, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 12:12 
Hard Justice

What, with that leftover Alaskan Yellow Cedar you said you had lying around? :smirk:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 12:18 
The Wood Magician

abdulmuhsee wrote:
What, with that leftover Alaskan Yellow Cedar you said you had lying around? :smirk:

Oh..., yes, exactly. ;)

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 06:48 
Stir Crazy

Ross Leidy wrote:

Well, that's yet to be seen, but that was the idea behind this blade.

When will you know if you have succeeded? Have you bounced a ball or two? Initial impressions? Come on, don't hold out on us here. We want to know!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 07:14 
The Wood Magician

Tassie52 wrote:
Ross Leidy wrote:

Well, that's yet to be seen, but that was the idea behind this blade.

When will you know if you have succeeded? Have you bounced a ball or two? Initial impressions? Come on, don't hold out on us here. We want to know!

I just finished sealing the blade yesterday, and my impatient friend who commissioned it picked it up later that evening. He was going to give it a try sometime today, but no word yet. A quick bounce test with no rubbers against his Bty Mizutani Jun seemed to indicate that it would be a bit slower, but the non-linear response of the balsa core may bring it up some in aggressive play. That is, if he hit through to the balsa with that dang ipe in the way. Both blades had about the same balance, but the Mizutani had about 8g on my blade. I hope to get a report tomorrow.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 05:50 

Hi all,
I'm the happy recipient of Ross's new blade.

I have a chance to play with the Butterfly Mizutani Jun and was quite impressed by the blade. The playing characteristic of this blade is the soft feel with explosive speed. I was playing with Tenergy 05FX on the backhand and Tenergy 05 on the forehand. I have no problem looping against backspin. Counter forehand loop at mid-range is effortless.

After playing with this great blade, I discussed with Ross to see if he can make a blade similar in the feel and speed of the Mizutani.

In 3 days, he came up with the blade using his new prototype shape. The handle, the blade size and the balance is very
close to the Mizutani. Of course the composition is very much different. To make a comparison, I put the same tenergy rubber on the new blade.

I have played with this new blade for about 10 hours in 3 practice sessions and I'm very impressed with it. My coach even tried it and he has nothing but praise.

It has the same soft feel as the Mizutani as well as the speed. This blade is even better suited for me than the Mizutani because in terms of speed, as this blade is a little slower than Mizutani (still a fast blade). I'm able to block more consistently and my loop against backspin is even better. I do have to generate more blade speed myself if I'm off the table at mid-range.

Overall I'm happy with this blade.

Anthony

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 06:07 
Hard Justice

Yeah, I think those really hard woods do resemble carbon as much as wood can; none of them are quite as stiff and all are quite a bit heavier, but that balsa core offset the heaviness for you without too much of a speed trade-off it sounds. It's about as close as you can get to carbon effect without the carbon I bet (unless trying a different non-wood material!). :)

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 10:30 
Cho Tokusen

Hi, Ross, after reading all 4 pages of this thread, there is not even a single one about a J-pen. Perhaps it is time to give it a consideration ?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:06 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

aeoliah wrote:
Hi, Ross, after reading all 4 pages of this thread, there is not even a single one about a J-pen. Perhaps it is time to give it a consideration ?

:P ive bought one off Ross , and its BEAST . Full review viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15011

pictures scroll down past the half way mark viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11969&start=90 it is now called "Gauss"

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:06 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

aeoliah wrote:

:P ive bought one off Ross , and its BEAST . Full review viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15011

pictures scroll down past the half way mark viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11969&start=90 it is now called "Gauss"

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 12:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

antmay wrote:
Hi all,
I'm the happy recipient of Ross's new blade.

I have a chance to play with the Butterfly Mizutani Jun and was quite impressed by the blade. The playing characteristic of this blade is the soft feel with explosive speed. I was playing with Tenergy 05FX on the backhand and Tenergy 05 on the forehand. I have no problem looping against backspin. Counter forehand loop at mid-range is effortless.

After playing with this great blade, I discussed with Ross to see if he can make a blade similar in the feel and speed of the Mizutani.

In 3 days, he came up with the blade using his new prototype shape. The handle, the blade size and the balance is very
close to the Mizutani. Of course the composition is very much different. To make a comparison, I put the same tenergy rubber on the new blade.

I have played with this new blade for about 10 hours in 3 practice sessions and I'm very impressed with it. My coach even tried it and he has nothing but praise.

It has the same soft feel as the Mizutani as well as the speed. This blade is even better suited for me than the Mizutani because in terms of speed, as this blade is a little slower than Mizutani (still a fast blade). I'm able to block more consistently and my loop against backspin is even better. I do have to generate more blade speed myself if I'm off the table at mid-range.

Overall I'm happy with this blade.

Anthony

Congrats Anthony, Looks like Ross has hit another one out of the park.
Thomas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!