OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 08:39 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
brokkie wrote:
- How big is "a bit faster" in relation to the speed difference between the defplay and the NSD?
- Did it feel soft on the backhand side because i like that?
- With the defplay it looks like with chopping the balls somewhat seem to hold up in the air. People often completely seem to miss the ball. Is this with the NSD also the case?

- It's not a big difference in speed but there is a difference. It's not much bouncier but it has more power.
- It's definitely harder and stiffer than the Defplay, remember the NSD has two carbon layers. It's very steady because of this and it's very controlled, always what you expect when you hit the ball.
- Yes, this effect is also very pronounced with NSD, it might be due to the D.Tecs though but a lot of chops looks to be going long and then drops down at the line. I also get very spinny chops with this combo as well as more control over the height of the chop which lets me keep it lower over the net.

The feeling is very different compared to Defplay but I play better and especially safer with this setup. The one thing I don't like is the higher weight but that is just something I need to get used to, it's still lighter than a normal double inverted setup. It messed up my timing a bit in the beginning, especially on the FH but I'm slowly getting used to it.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 06:25 
Super User

auzcar wrote:
brokkie wrote:
- How big is "a bit faster" in relation to the speed difference between the defplay and the NSD?
- Did it feel soft on the backhand side because i like that?
- With the defplay it looks like with chopping the balls somewhat seem to hold up in the air. People often completely seem to miss the ball. Is this with the NSD also the case?

- It's not a big difference in speed but there is a difference. It's not much bouncier but it has more power.
- It's definitely harder and stiffer than the Defplay, remember the NSD has two carbon layers. It's very steady because of this and it's very controlled, always what you expect when you hit the ball.
- Yes, this effect is also very pronounced with NSD, it might be due to the D.Tecs though but a lot of chops looks to be going long and then drops down at the line. I also get very spinny chops with this combo as well as more control over the height of the chop which lets me keep it lower over the net.

The feeling is very different compared to Defplay but I play better and especially safer with this setup. The one thing I don't like is the higher weight but that is just something I need to get used to, it's still lighter than a normal double inverted setup. It messed up my timing a bit in the beginning, especially on the FH but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Sorry the posting on this old thread - but I am looking for a more controlled version of Jo See Hyuk ( chopping vise, looping is just fine ) and can see that you have played with both.
How is NSD for :

Looping
Chooping
control

Compared to Joo Sae Hyuk.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 17:23 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Tenergy05fx wrote:
Sorry the posting on this old thread - but I am looking for a more controlled version of Jo See Hyuk ( chopping vise, looping is just fine ) and can see that you have played with both.
How is NSD for :

Looping
Chooping
control

Compared to Joo Sae Hyuk.

Thanks for your help.

I asked auzcar the same question here...
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24616&start=60

auzcar wrote:
Roy wrote:
I see that you have played lot with Defplay blade, tried NSD, but now you are playing with JHS.

How would you describe differences between those blades and why you play JHS now?

I played Defplay when I was a pushblocker, back then (no more than 1 month ago) I tried to hit as much as possible with my FH and out of the blades I tried I thought that Defplay gave the best attacking characteristics while still working good with the pips. NSD is a lot stiffer, harder and slower. It's much more controlled in pushblocking though but for me the FH didn't work at all and that was my main focus. The Joo blade didn't work for me in pushblocking, too fast and bouncy, FH worked great but the Defplay gave me more all together. I think that the Joo blade is a bit too hard and clonky for the FH as well when you have an OX sheet on the BH, there's no feeling and it's harder to engage the sponge on the FH.

Since I've now made the switch to modern defense I wanted a blade that's good on FH attacks and works well far from the table, both in chopping and attacking. To me it feels a lot better with the Joo blade when I have a sponged LP and the FH is even better compared to the Defplay. It's just more oomph and better balance as well, I like a little head heaviness but it just gets too much with thick sponge on the Defplay.

auzcar wrote:
Roy wrote:
So, it sounds to me something like this...

FH: JSH>DP>>NSD
Pushblocking with ox: NSD>DP>>JSH
Chopping with sponge: JSH>DP ? NSD

JHS is best in away from the table defence with sponge and with very good FH.
Defplay is good for allround play with ox with good FH
NSD is good for at the table disturbance and control play, but FH attack is lacking.

In a nutshell, yes. These are my subjective opinions though and they are largely based on what feeling I like so it might differ for other people, as always :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 18:04 
Super User

oh I missed that spot - I even read the post yesteday :D
I can tell that it is not for me then - I might try out VKM then it that isnt too slow as well..

thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 19:56 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Yeah, I still have the same opinion about the differences. The NSD is a lot slower and very stiff due to the carbon, the feeling is a lot more dead as well. Definitely not a good looping blade if you compare it to Joo, but of course it works okay as everything else. It's mostly a matter of preference really.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 01:44 

I think that Defence Pro would be a good blade, because I find it to be between the VKM ans the JSH.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 02:19 

I still would like to know other opinions about the NSD vs Toccata

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 16:56 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Review of Nittaku Shake Defence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqOsiHfv0Rc

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 17:30 
Super User

Great playing skills from the guy using long pips on this blade :up: