OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 13:39 
Super User

My new blade just turned up - an LKT Instinct Controlled Attack 5ply. One of the deciding factors in purchasing it was that it weights lighter than its rated 85g +/- 2g. In another forum I read that its weight was more like 77g.

Anyway, popped it on the postal scales today - weight is 79g. This is very pleasing.

I will get it glued up with rubbers in the next couple of days and give some feedback on how it plays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 14:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're lucky, the latest batch we just got in are all around the 84g... Perhaps it was easier to change the blades then the labels :wink:

Mind you they do feel a bit more solid too, so it's not a bad thing... but it may not be an option anymore if you're after a real light blade...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 14:35 
I am Legend
I am Legend

We've had one person snap their Instinct :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 14:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I didn't actually mean the light ones were weak, just that the new ones have a bit more solid feel when you hit the ball... might be just the weight, not sure :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 14:46 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Yeah, I know what you mean :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 18:58 
Super User

Review.

I have glued my combo rubbers onto the blade - Tuple 007 2.0mm in Black, and 388D-1 1.0mm. Overall it weighs 150g.

I've just had a hit up with it for 20mins or so, but against a pusher and hitter who doesn't do much loop.

The blade has lots of control. Placement is good, probably even just a little better than my LKT Pro XC Transformer.

It is relatively slow but that's OK for my type of game - I can still get plenty of speed on the ball with a good arm action. I would reckon its pretty similar to my now pensioned off (for now) Stiga Allround wood.

I like the way the pimples behave on the blade. There seems to be good feeling into the blade and little if any vibration.

The inverted on the FH felt quite similar to the setup on my other blade (which is not that surprising really given the similar blades and same rubber).

I will be interested to see how I go with drop shots and various blocks against harder/faster players.

Even though the blade has a flared handle, it twiddles pretty well with good balance (not that I am a particularly competent twiddler).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 20:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds promising! 150g is light! You should be able to get very good spin with the FH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 20:21 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Sounds promising! 150g is light! You should be able to get very good spin with the FH.

We'll see how it goes. Since switching to the softer sponged rubbers, I'm having to adjust my shot a bit to get the same degree of spin as I was getting with the tacky rubbers - especially on serve. I'm slowly getting the feel of it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 07:07 
Super User

One thing I forgot to mention about this blade is that it hasn't been finished off quite properly. At the place where the blade starts to flare ut of the handle, it pushes into the soft flesh between my thumb and forefinger and feels sharp. When I look closely, I see that only one side has had the edge bevelled down. Easily fixed with sandpaper I should think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 08:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's not good and not normal... must be something overlooked at the factory... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 08:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

well I guess one side is better than none :P
Ever used a Stiga Optimum blade? hard crystalline finish surface, no beveling down. Cuts into your hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 11:07 
Super User

I guess if I really wanted to be a masochist, I could glue a strip of sandpaper there :thumbdown: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 21:50 
Super User

Got the sandpaper out and gave the edges a quick rub. The wood is soft and easy to work. Nice bevelled edge - quick as a flash!

Took the bat out and used it tonight - I like it. Generally a pleasure to use - heaps of touch and control. Easy to push shots back on the FH inverted side. The LPs on BH also worked well. Still haven't found a good looper to work against though, so not too sure how it will go against the faster driven balls.