OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 12:26 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
hookshot wrote:
Hi Skippy,,
You are right about the extra weight but it is also the weight distrubution. My friend uses a normal size blade that is 98g. It feels heavy to me but not as bad as when I had another setup with an oversize. It felt head heavy. Overall weight was about the same but the regular felt more manuverable.
I tried the oversize to see if it reduced the number of edge shots (edge of blade) but it did not. I think it is slower to manuver. I am not a defender so it might not be the same for a chopper. :D

That is absolutely correct too. The more rubber mass on the blade the more the balance of the blade shifts above the handle making it far head heavier. Also it is correct that this is much less of a problem with the OX or thin sponged Pips rubbers.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 02:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Maybe we should distinguish between different aspects.

First of all, a larger blade means a more flexible blade than a smaller one made of the same wood etc. This is always the case. Since the blade is larger, there is more wood that isn't directly "attached" to the firmest spot of the blade (sweet spot). More flexibility means more dwelling time.
A more flexible blade is an advantage to a chopper who defends close to the table, because it kills more of the incoming speed of the ball.
To one who defends far from the table and likes to bring the ball back slowly with lots of chop, more dwelling time and more flexibility are an advantage.
But flexibility and more dwelling time diminish spin-reversal; so if you defend using blocks mostly, it is a disadvantage.

Secondly, a larger blade also means more weight. Some oversized blades are made from especially light wood to compensate. But some choppers like the extra weight because it helps to maintain the speed of the downward motion of the hand; you cannot actually chop harder or heavier with a large blade, but it is easier to keep the blade going fast even if you have to take the ball real low. So defense oriented choppers away from the table might favor an oversized head for that reason.

Thirdly, it seems plausible that a large blade makes it easier to avoid hitting with the edges. I doubt it, though. A large blade, if it isn't especially light-weight, is more sluggish, it kind of objects to being brought into motion, and because of that, your reaction time diminishes. Actually, you may hit more balls with the edges because of this, if you are in a hurry. So a heavier, large blade would be more suitable for those who play far from he table. A light large blade might be best for those who play close to the table.

So I think it depends on your style of play whether an oversized blade. light or heavy, is an advantage or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 11:33 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Thanks for the reply Kees! Those are some good points.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!