OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Straight or Flared?
Straight 52%  52%  [ 41 ]
Flared 48%  48%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 79
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 08:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Velonstrials wrote:
Yes... These votes would be very bias, if you have seen the what is your combination thread, you would know why. :up:

That's what I thought... so I ran the same poll on the mytt forum who have only a small percenatge of pip/combination players, and after a week the results were:

Flared 21 [40.38%]
Straight 31 [59.62%]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 08:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I used to be flared, then I got another blade - Enigma - which was anatomical. Having had a few blades, I've come to the conclusion the handle is only one part of the blade and sometimes flared suits the rest of the blade and sometimes straight. I don't think it's as simple as saying either straight or flared - there are other things to consider. My current blade has a straight handle but I also like my andro which is flared.

Regarding the twiddling, someone I know who used to play and twiddle preferred flared because he found it easier to know where / what position the blade was in because the flare acted as a guide in his hand at any given time.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 08:51 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:
Velonstrials wrote:
Yes... These votes would be very bias, if you have seen the what is your combination thread, you would know why. :up:

That's what I thought... so I ran the same poll on the mytt forum who have only a small percenatge of pip/combination players, and after a week the results were:

Flared 21 [40.38%]
Straight 31 [59.62%]

Yet another example of how double inverted players ruin everything!

Hang on a moment: if inverted players prefer ST but the manufacturers are making more FL, then surely that means manufacturers are more interested in catering to the needs of pip/combination players. :D

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 19:30 
Super User

I was under the impression that strait handles were easier to twiddle, therefore combination players would want to use them more then flared. Now I am not sure :o

S#1: Joola Wing Passion Fast, FH: 729 Cream 2.2, BH: 802-40 2.
S#2: Joola Trix Medium, FH: Hurricane 3 Neo 2, BH: 279 FX Lightning 2.2.
S#3: Galaxy 896, , BH: Pro XP 2.FH: Pro XP 2.2
S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 19:34 
Super User

Velonstrials wrote:
I was under the impression that strait handles were easier to twiddle, therefore combination players would want to use them more then flared. Now I am not sure :o

What is easier for some, is trickier for others ;) I think overall, handle types come down to personal preference, I know I like using a ST handle best, but I'm not going to go to everyone at my club and say they should use ST too because it is the best :P

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:16 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I can get a better consistent angle on my FH grip with FL. FL does make it difficult or I should say slower to go a BH grip. I've always used FL's but I can see where ST would be an advantage if you are someone that changes grip from FH to BH like I do except playing at a level where you need that little extra efficiency to make the switch in fast time. Or obviously if you are a twiddler.

I'm always surprised by these polls since in the would I live flared handles are use by at least 80% of players :^)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

foam wrote:
I'm always surprised by these polls since in the world I live flared handles are use by at least 80% of players :^)

My thoughts exactly...and it's got to make you wonder why.... :o :o :o

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:37 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
foam wrote:
I'm always surprised by these polls since in the world I live flared handles are use by at least 80% of players :^)

My thoughts exactly...and it's got to make you wonder why.... :o :o :o

FL is more widely used by general players, but the balance goes more towards ST with enthusiasts (the kind of people who join a TT forum :P )

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That still begs the question why???

Also
1. Is FL more popular because many blades are only made in FL, or
2. Since FL is more popular, many blades are only made in FL[/quote]

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:49 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
That still begs the question why???

Also
1. Is FL more popular because many blades are only made in FL, or
2. Since FL is more popular, many blades are only made in FL

Haha, yes, I guess the exact reason is very difficult to pin point.

I have a suspicion that many players just don't care, and as it seems many blades are made only in FL, that is what they end up using. Although I have no idea of the reason why so many blades are only made on FL :?: So it could almost be a self perpetuating trend of manufacturers making FL blades because they think they are more popular, and people buying FL blades because it's all that is available.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 14:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well haggisv, are you selling 50% of your blades as ST? considering half your customers are pips guys if you aren't then who is?! The vast majority of blades actually made must be FL since half the blades you can't even get in ST. So for every guy that votes ST he must have 3 FL handles in the cupboard?:)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 15:46 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well I play pips and all my Gergely's are FL. I don't even know if it comes in a ST :lol:

I have no trouble twiddling off serve with grip tape on my FL blades. I find its overall a more positive grip, but if a ST came into my possession and really suited me to play with in all aspects, I wouldn't knock it back. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 08:49 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
The preference now is 50-50 with at least 52 respondents. I think if TT manufacturer would offer ST handle, it would still be sold 1:1 with FL handle.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 18:26 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I guess why flared is more popular in table tennis stores is because its the "normal" shape of the shakehand handle. This was carried through time. Try to buy a pre-made bat and most likely, it is flared thus a trend was set.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 00:46 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Don't think I'm allowed to comment here....I guess you could call the jpen handle somewhat conic????? :lol:

But whenever I do anything SH (hardbat mostly), I don't care. I've heard the old conics were good for big hands, of which I definitely have, so I would like to try one. If only they still made them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next