OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 15:25 

I want to try out modern defense with SP on the forehand - my back can't constantly twist while looping with inverted. Anyway, I have been experimenting with LP (globe 979) and I really enjoy backing up from the table and returning ball after ball.

I plan on putting Curl P-1R (1.0 sponge) and 802-40 ( unknown sponge thickness - suggestions welcome) on the forehand.

From my research, I am thinking that the Joo Se Hyuk would be the best fit in that it is stiff and fast enough to allow me to continue to flat hit with SP close to the table, and still allow me to chop away from the table on either wing. The only issue I foresee is that when I am away from the table, I may have a difficult time switching from defense to offense.

Anyway, let me know if you think this could work, even if it is a little unorthodox. I currently play at the 1400-1500 USATT level.

Any other blade suggestions are welcome - I look forward to hearing from more experienced defenders than I...

Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 16:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I'm testing a new BBC blade with SP/LP that was designed just for this purpose: The Flash Drive III.

I'm running DHS Sharping on the FH and DHS Cloud & Fog III on the BH. This carbon blade is 7-ply, 6.6mm thick, and used a high-density Balsa core. 93g with my extra-long handle. Playing surfaces are rock-hard. Flex is firm. Tone is low with the bare blade bounce test, and as expected it chops well with the OX LP. The amazing thing is, it also hits like a hammer with the FH. A great control blade with unexpected power to drive the SP.

Contact Charlie at http://www.BladesByCharlie.com and see if he'll make you one.

Attachments:
IMG_20140106_222607.jpg
IMG_20140106_222607.jpg [ 201.84 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 23:59 
Super User

a sp/lp combination is good for chopping and CLOSE TO TABLE hitting( and maybe very hitting -like driving) and it's NOT for topspin, looping...
recommending a medium-slow, allround blade...finding willow and basswood is so good with pimples...I like Nittaku Resist and would like to experience Darker Spline D1 and PF4-O32 for a sp/lp combination...Butterfly Def2 was fast for me...I also like Andro Fibercomp..

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 00:10 

nathanso wrote:
This carbon blade is 7-ply, 6.6mm thick, and used a high-density Balsa core.

Question about the high-density Balsa core- does it behave more like a standard wood blade (with weight and more linear power)?

I have a Giant Dragon Kris (Balsa) blade that I experimented with, however I really did not like the sound/feel of the offensive aspect of it. Although I liked the control for chopping and blocking, I just couldn't get used to the extreme non-linear power for offense. It also felt so light, that I naturally resorted to an all-defensive game which (although fun for a while) does not often win against players with developed offensive skills.

BBC does seem intriguing though