OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2012, 06:48 

Sorry, meant 799 not 755 (big difference). :)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2012, 06:56 

nathanso, txs review Blue Streak. Now to find if someone has comments about its handling forehand non-grippy sp vs. grippy.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2012, 07:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
epictetus wrote:
nathanso, txs review Blue Streak. Now to find if someone has comments about its handling forehand non-grippy sp vs. grippy.
That's a mighty specific request. I don't use LP on FH and I don't know too many players who do, let alone ones who own an ULTRA Blue Streak blade and have compared non-grippy vs grippy LP on FH! Sometimes you just have to be the first one into the water..

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 23:22 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I didn't like the sound or feel of either of the mostly balsa blades i tried. I did have as much control on my inverted side, and wasn't chopping as well on my lp side.

I have now taken the rubber off the Monophonic and am playing with a custom 2 speed ttpiet blade that has 2 of its 6 layers being balsa that you generally only get into on a flat hit or smash, and its miles ahead of the Monophonic or Defense II or Applegren Allplay Senso V1 or Yasaka Extra for the way I play.

If you are ever over to Chicago area, let me know and we can meet up and compare notes and hit the ball...

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 15:07 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
I have tried using Neptune on a T-11 balsa blade, very nice with very good reversal on blocks, in fact deadly. Good with chop-blocks and agressive push. Chopping near the table is tolerable, well I am not much of a chopper anyway.

Balsa for Long Pips OX? Definitely for me. I use an Avenger Carbon which is fairly fast with 1615 Ox, works for my push/blocker style with some chops.

I would like to try Long Pips Ox on an Iolite Neo, I bet that would be deadly as well!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 18:35 
Super User

Just got my first balsa blade:

Anyone got suggestions about protecting the blade's thick balsa edge or sealing it. I normally just use hairspray for sealing. Any suggestions are welcomed in terms of precautions...this is my most expensive blade yet. I probably won't edge tape it so I can use it for competition - is there a cement or superglue that should be applied, maybe epoxy?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 22:27 
Super User

I put a few layers of superglue around the edges...

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 23:49 
Super User

I put epoxy around the edge and seal with a very thin coat of polyurethane varnish.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 14:41 
Super User

Quote:
I put epoxy around the edge and seal with a very thin coat of polyurethane varnish.

Thanks for the tip, OMS.

If I walked in to the local walmart, what brand name or expoxy product name would I ask for?

Any suggestions or is there a post in the equipment section... I'll check into this right now.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 14:56 
Super User

Since this is my most expensive purchase yet, I have decided to take my time building up my FW+. It's still wrapped up in its plastic skin but I could not resist blocking with it as is against my robot.

Initial impressions with open blocking: fast and linear and hard to distinguish between both fh and bh speeds. The bh seems to produce higher trajectory balls which for me is somewhat harder to control. The faster side I assume is on the same side as the logo on the handle, yet it seems much more controllable and produced low linear blocks relative to the bh side. I believe pushblocker uses the faster side for his lp but I could be wrong about this ( saw one of his vids, his red side dtechs was on the same side as the logo on the handle).

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 15:00 
Super User

I used the clear 5 min equal mix stuff from Harbor Freight Tools most recently, and mixed/applied it with a popsicle stick. I think the equal mix stuff is generally better quality, and wanted clear so if anyone want to see the wood underneath they still can. You might look for one with a longer setting time, like 10 min or more, though, because 5 min isn't a lot of time to both mix it and get it on correctly

BTW, I previously tried superglue, but it failed and dinged/crunched when I hit the table, so I'm now using the epoxy, which can be applied much thicker and is less brittle, I think, and then covering it with 1 mm thick foam edge tape.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 15:01 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

timeout wrote:
Since this is my most expensive purchase yet, I have decided to take my time building up my FW+. It's still wrapped up in its plastic skin but I could not resist blocking with it as is against my robot.

Initial impressions with open blocking: fast and linear and hard to distinguish between both fh and bh speeds. The bh seems to produce higher trajectory balls which for me is somewhat harder to control. The faster side I assume is on the same side as the logo on the handle, yet it seems much more controllable and produced low linear blocks relative to the bh side. I believe pushblocker uses the faster side for his lp but I could be wrong about this ( saw one of his vids, his red side dtechs was on the same side as the logo on the handle).

Um... The Firewall Plus is a symmetrical blade, with the same speed on both sides.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 15:15 
Super User

Generally speaking, blades don't wear out. They get dinged or broken if/when you hit the table or drop them, etc, but otherwise should last years and years.

I don't understand why you would play with it still wrapped in plastic. I would suggest to use it the way its meant to be played, and use the robot to help get accustomed to how it hits, and get shots working so that when I go play people, I am better able to keep the ball on the table.

The rubber will wear out from playing, but that is expected.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 16:25 
Super User

Quote:
don't understand why you would play with it still wrapped in plastic.

Hey OLMSP:

What I wastrying to convey to the internet community and thiswonderful forum is that I'm taking my time with this beautiful blade to the nth degree.

With cheaper bladesI would have them glued up on the same day that I got'em.

And I got lots of edge tape too.

But for this particular blade, I just wanted to go slow and do everything right, t's crossed, i's dotted.

With cheaper blades like an instinct, I just slaped on the rubbers with hair spray, if it got dinged or scratched, I'll buy another.

But thanks for the motivation, I'll ripp off the plastic and play with it naked until I decide what to put on them. Of course theres the epoxy issue - I'd like to use my FW+ for competition so I cant tape it up. Normally i stay away for chemicals so I dont varnish or seal but use hair spray.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 16:39 
Super User

Quote:
Um... The Firewall Plus is a symmetrical blade, with the same speed on both sides.

Thanks for the info, man.

Just to let you know I took forever reading the Neubauer ads, when selecting the blade. That explains why the blade looks like this:

Yes, its indeed symmetrical.

But as they say in the game, MY BAD.

FYI I chose this blade not on the basis of it's advertisement or the assumption that its a two speed blade, I chose it based on ROUNDROBIN's post, something about breaking effect, and using sp + lp, and the fact that this is PUSHBLOCKER's personal blade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!