OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Oct 2019, 04:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re-Impact Perfect review
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 01:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have tested a newly designed Re-Impact blade, called "Perfect". I had five training-sessions of two to three hours with it and today played four matches with it, and I feel I got to know it pretty well. It is a newer version of the Dream and looks a lot like it, but there are a number of clear differences:

1. The new blade is somewhat slower and has perhaps because of it also somewhat better control (bearing in mind the control of the Dream is excellent).
2. It is also softer; you can feel how it grabs the ball. As a result it is possible to loop descending balls with it, even from mid-distance. With the Dream I found this quite a bit harder.
3. It is slightly less low throw compared to the Dream, but the trajectory of looped balls is still quite flat.
4. It seems to produce more spin than the Dream.
5. The difference between forehand and backhand is negligible; so is the difference between first and second position - in second the blade is somewhat stiffer and faster, but you have to know that in order to feel and see it. This makes twiddling a very good option with this blade.
6. It has a thick balasa core, but the typical catapult effect balsa has in the Dream is almost gone here; that is one of the blade's best qualities, in my opinion.

Summarizing, I would say this blade is both more allround and more harmonious than the Dream, so "Perfect" is not at all a bad name for it.

I tested it with several different combinations of rubbers. The blade seems to adapt to different combinations, but actually that will be because its speed-range is so vast (from Def+ to All+) and its control so huge.

I started with a black Globe 999 in 1.5 mm on the forehand combined with a red Yasake Phantom 012 (OX LP) on the backhand. Close to the table this is a very good combination for blocking, pushing and countering (with topspin). Attacking is easiest with it, even with the LP, as you can hit through almost any incoming spin (except very heavy backspin). Blocking aggressively works too, but blocking hard shots passively with the LP you need to have a very relaxed touch or the ball will go long. The combination is capable of sucking up speed and the ball will stay very low over the net. Topspin is very heavy and easy to produce. If the ball bounces high enough, so that you can drive it, you can also make very good speed.
Used for classical defence, the same combination works as well, but if you are so far away that you have to use good force when chopping, the ball has a slight tendency to go long (due to the mild catapult-effect of the balsa). If you make the stroke short and quick, you can keep the ball low and on the table.
Changing the Yasaka for a Meteor 8512 Def, 1.0 mm, classical defence improved a lot. The catapult-effect was gone, spin was very heavy, placement very accurate, and the ball was easily kept low over the net. However, with the catapult-effect gone, it was much harder to get decent speed in counter-attacks. Perhaps the blade is better played with a faster LP on sponge.
Changing again, now to Juic Neo-anti 2.0, the blade performed amazingly well: backspin in chops was still very heavy, easy to vary, control was even better, and blocking as well as hitting close to the table worked just great. In my opinion, this kind of the rubber combines ideally with the "Perfect".
So with defensive rubbers the blade is an almost perfect defensive blade, but you have to get the right combination of rubbers for your particular style, of course.

Then I changed the Globe 999 for a Friendship Focus I in 1.8 mm, a mildly offensive, very spinny rubber with great control, which combines great with balsa blades in general. It turned the "Perfect" into an allround blade for topspin attack. Blocking of all kinds is easy and very controlled, smash is fast and you don't have to worry about the balsa messing up your shot, as it won't do that - you will produce enough topspin (in fact, it is easy to smash fast with lots of spin) to get the ball on the table. Away from the table, mid-distance is as far as it goes. You have to work a bit harder to loop the ball, but speed is still good and the spin as well. The combination will allow you to hold out in topspin-to-topspin duels indefinitely, but you have to come in in order to make the kill. The Chines loop (with stretched arm) works especially well at this distance, producing very good speed and spin. As a remarked earlier, it is even possible to loop descending balls, which actually makes playing at mid-distance a good option. Another satisfying feature is the ability of the combination to loop against backspin - this is really easy and effective, since you have to open your blade for it and thus you will get the maximum catapult of the balsa in this stroke, without, however, loss of spin.
Perhaps with a harder sponge it is possible to play the blade with 2.0 mm, but with the medium hard Focus, 1.8 mm seemed max.

Then I put on SP: red Globe 889-2 in 2. 0 mm on the forehand. This is a fairly grippy short pip with good speed, but not outrageously fast. However, the "Perfect" became very fast with it. Still it had great control. For close to the table attack you can hit almost anything with this combination, or roll it, or block it even with an open blade. Only against slow heavy topspin you have to close the blade. Serving you can produce amazing amounts of spin.
There are few players who will use SP on both sides, but with this blade it is a definite option, allowing fast but varied attack close to the table, while the ability to block accurately will keep you safe.
On the other hand, combined with LP, especially LP on dampening sponge, a blocker-hitter style would work out great with this blade.
Finally, SP on the backhand (in 1.8mm) and inverted on the forehand (1.8 to 2.0) would allow great allround attack, including play from mid-distance, in the style Wang Tao once played.
I have my doubts about the classic "Neubauer" combination of OX LP with SP on this blade. It would work, but you would have to be able to block with great feeling on your backhand. I think a dampening sponge would be preferable for most players.

Then, today, I played matches with it. I used a Meteor 8512, black, 0.8 mm on the backhand and a red 1.8 mm LKT Pro XT on the forehand for a modern defense style (a bit) like Joo's. It is great. The blade handles so easy and both chops and forehand attacks are so effective, that it is a real joy. There were a couple of difficulties, though. Chops with the LP were so heavy that opponents started to push almost right away, giving up looping; coming in to attack the push with the Meteor it proved to be too slow to do real damage - I could only attack with lots of topspin(due to reversal), not with speed, unless the ball bounced high and I could open the blade and hit more. Also, topspin-to-topspin rallies on the forehand I couldn't win from mid-distance, again because the lack of speed; so I had to come in for that. All in all I had to do a lot of running around, to good effect, but it tired me out. In hindsight, I would have got me a harder and faster forehand rubber and probably also a faster LP.

The price of the blade is 169 euro's in my version. As always you can ask for adaptations of the basic model. Achim told me the design is very special and he can in fact build most of his older blades following this new design.

Last edited by Kees on 05 Apr 2012, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 01:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: A. Grubba ALL+
FH: Reflectoid 1mm
BH: DG ox, TM ox
Sounds interesting. How much does it weigh?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 02:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Sounds interesting. How much does it weigh?

I can't say accurately (I don't have an accurate device for it), but is less than the Dream, slightly, and with the Yasaka OX and the Globe 999 1.5 (which is relatively heavy) it felt really very light-weight and easy to handle.

By the way, the official Re-Impact designation of my blade is "Perfect mit Zusatzcode 995-2-EAB-Er-6". As I understand it, Achim optimized it for playing with antispin rubber, for me, but he would be able to optimize this blade for other combinations as well - I believe that is the actual reason behind calling it Perfect, as it can be made perfectly suitable for just about any style and/or combination of rubbers. Players who already own a Re Impact blade could have a new blade just like it build according to the Perfect design. Achim said there were some exceptions to that, but that was pretty technical stuff, so people who are interested should contact himself...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 10:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds very good Kees, thanks for the detailed review! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes he might have to re-think the name "Perfect mit Zusatzcode 995-2-EAB-Er-6" :lol:

It's quite amazing that your chop with the LP were so much heavier... you'd think the rubber would be the biggest contributor to spin. :up:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 15:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Haggisv wrote
Quote:
It's quite amazing that your chop with the LP were so much heavier... you'd think the rubber would be the biggest contributor to spin.

It probably is. But the blade supports it wonderfully. I have used the Meteor on a lot of different blades and it always works fine, but on this blade it was the easiest.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 09:10 
Manufacturer: RE-IMPACT

Location: Lembruch Dumber lake, Diepholz, Lower Saxony, Germany
haggisv wrote:

Yes he might have to re-think the name "Perfect mit Zusatzcode 995-2-EAB-Er-6" :lol:

It's quite amazing that your chop with the LP were so much heavier... you'd think the rubber would be the biggest contributor to spin. :up:

Hallo Alex,
das ist ganz einfach, zu erklären.. Das Perfect ist ähnlich von der Stellung her wie das Re-Impact Spezial zu sehen ... Nur das mit dem Perfekt die neuen Dream-Kombinationen verbunden werden und mit dem Re-Impact Spezial alle anderen Sonderbauten. Weiterhin ist das Perfect eine reine Selectionsware, während beim RE-Impact-Spezial alle individuellen Sonderbauten erfasst werden; egal wie schwer..

Hinter dem Perfect steht also die eigentliche Codenummer, wie das Holz in seiner Beschaffenheit aufgebaut ist und welche Deckblattfurniere es auf jeweils Vorhand und
Rückhand hat. Das Deckblattfurnier der Vorhand wird immer als erstes im Kürzel genannt und dann erst das Rückhandfurnier. Die letzte Ziffer steht für die Stärke des verwendeten Balsakernes. Alle vorgestellten Zahlen sind interne Codezahlen für das verwendete KSLS-System. Deswegen müßt Ihr euch den Zusatzcode zum Perfect merken; sonst bekommt ihr nicht das gewünschte Holz.

Das Perfect wird insgesamt 169 € brutto im Basispreis kosten. Rabatte werden allerdings nur Nettobasispreis - Selectionskosten => - 35 € => 134 € gewährt. Der Selectionswert ist eine direkte Kundenweitergabe, so dass der Handel dafür auch keine Nachlässe gewährt bekommt. Selectionskosten sind daher wie eine Zusatzbestelloption zu sehen, obwohl man diese beim Perfect nicht abwählen kann. Gruss, Achim

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 16:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

with translation:
achim wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Hallo Alex,
das ist ganz einfach, zu erklären.. Das Perfect ist ähnlich von der Stellung her wie das Re-Impact Spezial zu sehen ... Nur das mit dem Perfekt die neuen Dream-Kombinationen verbunden werden und mit dem Re-Impact Spezial alle anderen Sonderbauten. Weiterhin ist das Perfect eine reine Selectionsware, während beim RE-Impact-Spezial alle individuellen Sonderbauten erfasst werden; egal wie schwer..
it [i.e. the name+code] is really easy to explain. The Perfect is like the Re Impact Spezial, except that the Perfect is related to the new Dream Combinations, and the R I Spezial to all other specially built models. Furthermore, the Perfect is a pure special Selection blade, whereas the R I Spezial encompasses all individual special models, no matter how heavy they are.
Hinter dem Perfect steht also die eigentliche Codenummer, wie das Holz in seiner Beschaffenheit aufgebaut ist und welche Deckblattfurniere es auf jeweils Vorhand und Rückhand hat. Das Deckblattfurnier der Vorhand wird immer als erstes im Kürzel genannt und dann erst das Rückhandfurnier. Die letzte Ziffer steht für die Stärke des verwendeten Balsakernes. Alle vorgestellten Zahlen sind interne Codezahlen für das verwendete KSLS-System. Deswegen müßt Ihr euch den Zusatzcode zum Perfect merken; sonst bekommt ihr nicht das gewünschte Holz.
Behind the "Perfect", then, you find the actual code-number, indicating the inner structure (how the blade is assembled), and then the outer plies used for forehand and backhand. The outer ply of the forehand always comes first, abbreviated, and after that the outer ply of the backhand. The last number of the code indicates the thickness of the balsa core. All numbers are code-numbers for internal use and relate to the KSLS-ystem which is actually used. That is the reason why you have to send the code of your own blade if you want to order it in its Perfect form, or you can't have exactly the blade you wish.
Das Perfect wird insgesamt 169 € brutto im Basispreis kosten. Rabatte werden allerdings nur Nettobasispreis - Selectionskosten => - 35 € => 134 € gewährt. Der Selectionswert ist eine direkte Kundenweitergabe, so dass der Handel dafür auch keine Nachlässe gewährt bekommt. Selectionskosten sind daher wie eine Zusatzbestelloption zu sehen, obwohl man diese beim Perfect nicht abwählen kann.
The basic price of the Perfect will be 169 euros brutto. Discounts, however, are applicable only to the netto basic price minus the cost of special selections (35 euros), is 134 euros. As the cost for special selection is directly for the buyer, this part of the price is left out of other commercial traffic. Cost for special selection should be seen as cost for special options of the blade, although with the Perfect you cannot opt out of them.

Gruss, Achim

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 18:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank you Achim, and Kees!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 13:31 
Double Dipper

How do you find out the code of your blade? I know I have a Tachi, but there is no telling which exact Tachi it is, as I think he changed the way he manufactures the original Tachi 2-3 times.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 16:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PipProdigy wrote:
How do you find out the code of your blade? I know I have a Tachi, but there is no telling which exact Tachi it is, as I think he changed the way he manufactures the original Tachi 2-3 times.
You had better contact Achim about this.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 16:07 
Double Dipper

Kees wrote:
PipProdigy wrote:
You had better contact Achim about this.

I'll do that once I save up the 169 euro. The "Perfect" version of a Tachi sounds too good to pass up.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 15:31 
Double Dipper

I found out today that Richard McAfee ordered a custom "Perfect" blade to suit his rubbers and his style. It was supposed to be in tonight, but didn't quite make it in time to play at the club. He said I could have a hit with it when it comes in, so I can post some impressions for you guys when I have that opportunity.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 08:28 
Manufacturer: RE-IMPACT

Location: Lembruch Dumber lake, Diepholz, Lower Saxony, Germany
PipProdigy wrote:

Hallo, beim Tachi steht bei den Sonderbauten immer ein Code in der 4000 Reihe an, wenn es ein Tachi Plus ist. DAs normale Tachi hingegen hat sich noch nicht verändert.

Beim Perfect ist es nahezu möglich, jedes offiziell angebotenes Modell nach dem neuen Dream-Kombi-System nachzubauen, weil es unzählige KSLS-Systeme gibt, die auch noch unterschiedliche Spieleigenschaften als Schwerpunkt bilden, so dass man tatsächlich den Resonanzbogen einer Ballflugkurve in einer Feinabstimmung für jedermann unabhängig gesehen, auf seine persönlichen Merkmale und Wünsche einstellen kann. Dabei ändern sich jedoch auch andere Erfindungsmerkmale, so das das ganze recht aufwendig von der Herstellung ist. Es ist daher immer wichtig den Zusatzcode seiner Bestellung zu kennen und sich die Rechnung aufzuheben, damit man bei Bedarf das richtige Zweitholz nachbestellen kann. Für die jeweilige Baureihe dieser Dream-Kombination steht z.B. die 995 Nummer; die 2 danach kennzeichnet das verwendete KSLS.-System; die nachfolgenden Deckblätter in der Reihenfolge verwendetes Vorhand und Rückhanddeckblatt und die danachfolgenden Angabe die Dicke des verwendeten Balsakernes. Danach bin in z.B. in der Lage, das richtige Wettkampfholz zu fertigen, aber alle andere Merkmale werden selbstverständlich nicht bekanntgegeben, denn das ist unser Betriebsgeheimnis. Das Dream und die Dreamkombi´s werden zu 100 % aus naturgewachsenen Vollholz gefertigt und enthalten bis auf den Verbundwerkstoff keine weiteren Fremdstoffe. Die neuen Wettkampfhölzer entsprechen daher zu 100 % den gültigen Wettkampfbestimmungen der ITTF.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 14:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

transl.
achim wrote:
PipProdigy wrote:

Hallo, beim Tachi steht bei den Sonderbauten immer ein Code in der 4000 Reihe an, wenn es ein Tachi Plus ist. DAs normale Tachi hingegen hat sich noch nicht verändert.
Hi, a special model of the Tachi Plus always has a code in the 4000 series. The regular Tachi has not been changed yet, however [so there is only one code for it; K.]

Beim Perfect ist es nahezu möglich, jedes offiziell angebotenes Modell nach dem neuen Dream-Kombi-System nachzubauen, weil es unzählige KSLS-Systeme gibt, die auch noch unterschiedliche Spieleigenschaften als Schwerpunkt bilden, so dass man tatsächlich den Resonanzbogen einer Ballflugkurve in einer Feinabstimmung für jedermann unabhängig gesehen, auf seine persönlichen Merkmale und Wünsche einstellen kann. Dabei ändern sich jedoch auch andere Erfindungsmerkmale, so das das ganze recht aufwendig von der Herstellung ist. Es ist daher immer wichtig den Zusatzcode seiner Bestellung zu kennen und sich die Rechnung aufzuheben, damit man bei Bedarf das richtige Zweitholz nachbestellen kann. Für die jeweilige Baureihe dieser Dream-Kombination steht z.B. die 995 Nummer; die 2 danach kennzeichnet das verwendete KSLS.-System; die nachfolgenden Deckblätter in der Reihenfolge verwendetes Vorhand und Rückhanddeckblatt und die danachfolgenden Angabe die Dicke des verwendeten Balsakernes. Danach bin in z.B. in der Lage, das richtige Wettkampfholz zu fertigen, aber alle andere Merkmale werden selbstverständlich nicht bekanntgegeben, denn das ist unser Betriebsgeheimnis. Das Dream und die Dreamkombi´s werden zu 100 % aus naturgewachsenen Vollholz gefertigt und enthalten bis auf den Verbundwerkstoff keine weiteren Fremdstoffe. Die neuen Wettkampfhölzer entsprechen daher zu 100 % den gültigen Wettkampfbestimmungen der ITTF.
As for the Perfect, it is possible to build nearly every officially released model after the new Dream-Combi-System, since there are countless KSLS-Systems, centered around different playiong qualities as well, so that, if it is wished, the curve of reonance for a ball trajectory can be fine-tuned to everyone's completely personal characteristics. However, this will influence and change characteristics of other inventions in the blade, so the building process is very complex. Therefore it is always important to know the code and keep the bill (which has it on it), so that you are able to order the same blade again if necessary. For instance, the number 995 refers to this particluar series of Dream-Combi,; the next two numbers indicate the KSLS-System that has been applied; then come the codes for outer plies for forehand and backhand; and lastly the number indicating the thickness of the balsa-core. I can assemble a blade correctly after this code; but there are other aspects I can't reveal as they are company secret. Dream and Dream-Combi's are 100% made of naturally grown wood and contain apart of the glue nothing else. So the new blades are 100% in accordance with the ITTF rules.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 15:45 
Double Dipper

Thank you for your translation Kees. That sounds incredible. So we can get a Perfect blade designed around a specific blade that we liked (the Tachi for me), but also tweaked to our individual playing characteristics. And this is only for 169 euros?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next