OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 12:51 

I've had a few sessions with Joola Maxxx 450 (max thickness) on the VKM. Quite a good fit! Fast and spinny enough to win points at my level at least (usatt 1400) and has a nice feeling on the VKM.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 03:07 
Super User

David.Bernstein wrote:
I spent 45 minutes tonight hitting with the VKM. Mine is 92g and I put on one coat of minwax wipe-on polyurethane to seal the blade yesterday. The bh rubber was a new sheet of FLII 0.5 while the fh was an old sheet of Stiga Airoc soft 1.9 (about two months old I think).

Disclaimer: I'm new to chopping and defending in general but have been playing tt seriously for 10 years and for an adult beginner reached a modest level (usatt 1400, intermediate roughly) as an offensive looper.

First impressions: yes it's soft and pretty dead and numb feeling. Really quite slow, much slower than the ALL+ blade I was using as a looper (BBC Ramin Cross). The Xiom Aigis I had been using for the past month or so was I think a bit slower. Moderately flexible, less so than the Aigis though. The handle is wide but narrow so compared to the Aigis it felt a little small but nothing I couldn't get used to. The total weight of the set up was 173g, so on the light side, but it felt quite head heavy.

The 45 minutes was spent with a local pen hold player who has pretty spinny and strong loops. Blocking was very easy, not a problem to keep blocks low and to redirect them even against very spinny loops. Looping/counter looping is not the strength of this blade so naturally it wasn't very good but it wasn't terrible. I felt the Aigis was actually a bit worse in terms of looping. The thing that really amazed me though was the feel on chops, it was really incredible. The control over chops was amazing. I just started chopping with lps a few months ago and I think even in casual training my rate of landing chops on the table is about 50%. Tonight I was around 80 or 90% and I felt much more confident chopping with the pips than I did with the Aigis (also with FLII). Overall I was pretty impressed with it, I wish I could have stayed longer and kept chopping but tragically had a work obligation tonight!

Well that's it, I'm pretty happy with it overall just have to find a good fh rubber now.

I used to feel that the VKM was really dead and slow.
But when i tried the Andro Rasant Powersponge the setup really comes alive suddenly i can hit rockets from the fh side and still chop fine on the fh.
I think a soft tensor really works great on this.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 04:31 

I agree! A softish, fast tensor works well. I've been using T05 recently (2.1) and it's really nice on the VKM.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 03:16 
Super User

I recently got this as a gift w/ Xiom Omega on FH and D.tecs OX BH.

Coming from an allround, it's basically an enlarged ALL blade and vibrates like one, which means it's pretty comfortable for chopping, and more than fast enough w/ latest esn rubber. Mine is apparently from the newer batch that's superthin, ~5.15mm. Doing a bit worse first couple weeks since it's harder to keep pushes very low and unattackable mostly because of the rubber compared to old sheet of Yinhe.

The bigger face means it feels bit head-heavy despite the reasonable overall weight, so what I usually do instead of choking way up on the blade like many choppers is affix a coin to the end of the handle (blu-tack works well).

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 08:52 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
agenthex wrote:
I recently got this as a gift w/ Xiom Omega on FH and D.tecs OX BH.

Coming from an allround, it's basically an enlarged ALL blade and vibrates like one, which means it's pretty comfortable for chopping, and more than fast enough w/ latest esn rubber. Mine is apparently from the newer batch that's superthin, ~5.15mm. Doing a bit worse first couple weeks since it's harder to keep pushes very low and unattackable mostly because of the rubber compared to old sheet of Yinhe.

I don't think the thickness has changed, my blade (one of the first batches) is also around that thickness...

Quote:
The bigger face means it feels bit head-heavy despite the reasonable overall weight, so what I usually do instead of choking way up on the blade like many choppers is affix a coin to the end of the handle (blu-tack works well).

Compared to other defensive blades (like JSH and Defplay) VKM is pretty well-balanced. Compared to normal sized all-blades, it might indeed feel a bit HH, but that could be an advantage for chopping.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 21:28 
Super User

Somebody (I think Elvis56) had early VKMs measured at 5.5mm or such, and his newer ones at 5.2mm. We even speculated as to the cause of this.

The JSH's have bit heavier heads, and Defplay just have hollow handles (so you can add more weight to the handle to achieve same thing, coins slot in perfectly into donic's end gap). Defplay is also smaller, and size is far and away the main cause of head-heaviness.

Also, contrary to popular opinion I don't think heavier is better for anything. Perhaps less bad w/ chopping than extra weight for looping, but still requires more energy to accelerate even if gravity helps a bit.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 05:42 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

agenthex wrote:
The JSH's have bit heavier heads, and Defplay just have hollow handles (so you can add more weight to the handle to achieve same thing, coins slot in perfectly into donic's end gap). Defplay is also smaller, and size is far and away the main cause of head-heaviness.

Head-heaviness occurs especially when you use heavy rubbers on defensive blades (mostly those with a hard sponge). With a thinly sponged LP rubber on BH and a soft one on FH, head-heaviness is not that high.

Quote:
Also, contrary to popular opinion I don't think heavier is better for anything. Perhaps less bad w/ chopping than extra weight for looping, but still requires more energy to accelerate even if gravity helps a bit

Who says 'heavier is better' is such a popular opinion? Quite a lot of defensive players (not only close-to-table players) are looking for manoeuvrable light blades and in German forums it is very popular to reduce blade size (often to reduce weight). It's a matter of preference. I tried lighter blades in the past, but I've grown to like heavier blades because they give me the feeling of more control, especially when chopping. I also have a heavier tennis rackets (more power and stability but less manoeuvrability). Apparently, the elite choppers also have heavy oversized defensive blades. Even Gionis (who uses a standard-sized blade) mentioned in the interview that he plays a customized heavier Korbel, close to 100g...

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 07:53 
Super User

Head heaviness is a function of angular momentum, and by definition this increases with distance from pivot. Weight added at the tip (such as with longer blade) is twice as consequential assuming gripping near the neck. For context a standard blade face is ~155mm, the Defplay 160, and most of these other ones 165.

-
If you look at any number of threads on blade/racket weight you'll see any number of folks heralding the benefits of heavier (more "power", etc). Given the relative mass of the ball vs racket in TT this is entirely consequential on the impact qualities. Heavier just take more energy to move around. Granted this may not be a big deal given minor diff, and some folk might just prefer it for whatever reason, but in no way is it physically better.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2015, 19:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I finally had a chance to play with this blade, with rubbers Victas 401 2.0mm and Dtecs OX on BH.

It looped really well, loads of spin and plenty of speed. Away from the table you can feel some flex in the blade, giving it a kick of extra power.

For the pimples it felt stiff and hard for the short game, but very controlled and with good reversal. I love it for the shorty game, and even for pushing aggressive against backspin, only when chopping away from the table I had to get used to the harder feel compared to my balsa blade.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2015, 23:33 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Hey Alex,

compared to Balsa-blades the feel will surely be very different. Compared to balsa-blades it will also surely loop well :lol: .

VKM has Limba outer plies, so compared with most non-balsa 5ply wooden blades it will feel fairly soft, esp. with OX. I loved it for chopping with Palio CK531 OX. The outer plies of a balsa blade are usually harder than Limba, but the balsa core indeed gives a feeling of softness and dampening at lower impact.

haggisv wrote:
I finally had a chance to play with this blade, with rubbers Victas 401 2.0mm and Dtecs OX on BH.

It looped really well, loads of spin and plenty of speed. Away from the table you can feel some flex in the blade, giving it a kick of extra power.

For the pimples it felt stiff and hard for the short game, but very controlled and with good reversal. I love it for the shorty game, and even for pushing aggressive against backspin, only when chopping away from the table I had to get used to the harder feel compared to my balsa blade.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 04:12 
Super User

Pipsy wrote:
Hey Alex,

compared to Balsa-blades the feel will surely be very different. Compared to balsa-blades it will also surely loop well :lol: .

VKM has Limba outer plies, so compared with most non-balsa 5ply wooden blades it will feel fairly soft, esp. with OX. I loved it for chopping with Palio CK531 OX. The outer plies of a balsa blade are usually harder than Limba, but the balsa core indeed gives a feeling of softness and dampening at lower impact.

haggisv wrote:

Just perfect analysis

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 08:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RevanII wrote:
Just perfect analysis

Mine or Pipsy's?

Yes very fair points Pipsy...it's been a while since I played competition with non-balsa blades, but I do regularly muck around with other blades just for testing, so I do have some idea. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 23:34 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
RevanII wrote:
Just perfect analysis

Mine or Pipsy's?

Both! :up:
In fact, i think you are saying the same things from 2 different perspectives, in short:
1) To you, vkm is faster and harder than your normal balsa blade
2) To Pipsy, vkm is a very controllable and slower blade compared to his Joo blade (ore more aggressive def blades in general)
That said, VKM can be a good option for very defensive players which are used to extremely slow-soft defensive blade and want to step forward a little bit, but also an option for aggressive defenders who want to get more control... in short, a DEF+/ALL- blade! (depending on which rubbers you put on it)

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 23:47 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Perfect analysis, Revan! ;)

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 19:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

So true! :up: :up: :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next