OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: DHS Power-G PG7 Review
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 21:47 

Blade's Features:
Headsize : 159mm x 151mm (Height x Width)
Thickness: 6mm
Handle: 100mm x 25mm x 24mm x 37mm (Length x Width x Top x Bottom) / Flared
Weight: I don't have a weighing scale, but it feels light when I held it without any rubbers
Speed Rating: Off++ (indicated on the blade).

The Reviewer
Asian, 5'6'' in height, 65 kg in weight. Playing style: Close-mid range offensive type (but doesn't swear or have anger issues :rofl:). Right-handed with a shakehand grip.

The Review
First time holding the blade, it felt light enough for my taste. Flared handle has a roundness grip feel, and length is just right that I can do backhand strokes easily (It doesn't interfere with the wrist motion). The finishing of the wood is smooth.

Rubbers used are TG3 Neo (FH) and Mars V2 (BH). The whole setup doesn't feel heavy or fatiguing. After 5 hours of playing, I don't want to go back to using LKT Instinct+. The grip is perfect that I don't develop blisters anymore (compared to the 5 different pre-made bats I used and Instinct+). Transitioning from forehand to backhand grip/stroke is smooth; or probably having a neutral grip is easier with PG7's handle. Vibration is not annoying and minimal; I can feel where the ball is hitting my racket. Counter-hits, drives, loops, sidespins, pushes, smash, blocks, and surprisingly even chops are very good. My training partner said my shots are faster and more precise (I was only doing controlled loops, drives, and counter-hit drills with him). I had one practice match using PG7, power drives, loops and smashes are solid hits for me. The spin is consistent close or mid distance. This blade is a keeper, and I feel like it will help me develop my strokes more.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 00:59 
Super User

I've heard of this blade before. Seems like it's well reviewed by all accounts according to tabletennisdb

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/dhs-power-g-pg7.html

Appears Ma Long either does/or did play with this at one time.

Can't be the price of $30.
http://fastpaddle.com/tt/index.php?main ... cts_id=299

If I ever go back to shakehand, this probably would be the one I'd try.

Thanks for the review.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 08:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review SirSpinsalot! :up:

Speed rating for DHS is different compared to other, they are roughly'
OFF+ => OFF-
OFF++ => OFF
OFF+++ => OFF+

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 06:27 

Thanks for the great review you can compare both the pg7 and instinct+ in terms of speed,spin and control.Actually first time I got the pg7 when I held I felt it was much lighter like a toy compared to the pre-made x4002

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 13:47 

loop__machine wrote:
Thanks for the great review you can compare both the pg7 and instinct+ in terms of speed,spin and control.Actually first time I got the pg7 when I held I felt it was much lighter like a toy compared to the pre-made x4002

I'm not sure how to compare them solely on blade properties alone because each have different rubbers. Anyway, here it goes:

Speed: PG7 > Instinct+
If Instinct+'s speed is All+ to Off-, then PG7 is at least Off (I haven't tried Off+ blades yet). In close to the table, Instinct+ speed is equal or lesser than PG7 but suffers at middle distance. PG7's speed stays the same whether close or middle distance.

Spin: PG7 => Instinct+
I can't really tell which is spinnier because of the rubbers I used. Mainly because I can do slow spinny opening loops and lift backspin better with Instinct+ that has H3 Neo. But I think PG7 is spinnier because I can feel it has more dwell time and it is thinner.

Control: PG7 > Instinct+
Definitely PG7 has more control than Instinct+. I can achieve a better grip / neutral grip for forehand and backhand. Vibration has enough ping to feel where you hit the ball, compared to LKT Instinct+ where the vibration hurts my hand when I hit hard. The weight balance is great which I think contributes to PG7's control properties. I can do flips better with PG7.

Bottom line: I am impressed with PG7, and I will definitely buy one again to use as a spare and test other rubbers. For the forehand, I'm gonna test TG2 Neo and H3 Neo next; Backhand will be Yasaka Zap 36-38 and Galaxy Moon/Moon Pro. Then that will be the only time I'm gonna try another blade (probably M6 or other blades from Galaxy).

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 00:28 
Super User

SirSpinsalot wrote:
loop__machine wrote:
Speed: PG7 > Instinct+
Spin: PG7 => Instinct+
Control: PG7 > Instinct+

Bottom line: I am impressed with PG7, and I will definitely buy one again to use as a spare and test other rubbers.

I think to be fair we should mention that you're comparing a $16 blade (Instint+) vs a $30 blade (PG7).

So we should expect the PG7 to be better. :)

Nonetheless, more info is always good and it seems from what you're saying is that you'd find it worth it to pony up the extra $14 and get the PG7 over the Instinct+ any day of the week.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 05:41 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
PG7 is indeed a phenomenal blade. It's the best value for money on the market, in my view.

It also naturally works brilliantly with Hurricane rubbers. The feeling on serves and short game is far better than it should be for an OFF-rated blade.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 23:31 

UPDATE:
After more than a month of playing, I find that my current setup is quite fast. Fast in a sense that:
1. My training partner is scared of hitting hard because when I blocked his shot, it got returned fast.
2. My strokes became more European-like (more stroking upwards) instead of Chinese strokes (forward stroke with closed angle racket). Why? Because when I do Chinese strokes, it became unreturnable for the receiver. They can't react fast enough, the ball has a low trajectory, and has quite some spin especially at mid distance. Regrettably, this caused me to do european strokes more just to lessen the speed.
3. Poor/Good strokes & techniques gets exposed. If you make poor or half effort strokes, then you will get punished. But when you do make your best shots, your opponents will be in awe.

I haven't lost a match yet with my current setup. I almost lost 3-0, but then made a comeback with 3-4. The set up is definitely made for mid distance offensive looping/driving. Close to the table, it still does a good job but not the same as LKT Instinct+ with H3 Neo where I can do more third ball attacks, slow spinny opening loops, and looping underspin. I think it might be the H3 Neo's high throw and spin.

I'm really impressed with PG7 performance. It is like a fast do-it-all blade. I love it's mid-distance looping, blocking, flicking, and driving capabilities. Pushing and chopping is also good (I can't say if it is great in pushing/chopping because those are my weaknesses). It is also very durable; I accidentally nicked (3 times already) the edge of the blade but the wood didn't get chipped or splintered (probably because of the hardness of the wood). Even with a speedy setup, I was still able to make better spinny serves compared to the LKT Instinct+. My training partner even said, "What sorcery is this??" when he got surprised with my low height side/topspin pendulum serve because it looked like a backspin serve.

But I realize it is quite fast for me to train with my partner (We have no coach whatsoever, only through youtube videos). Right now I'm thinking of changing rubbers to lessen the speed, and do more spin/control. Maybe H3 (not NEO) on forehand and Dawei Inspirit on backhand. I'm even thinking of trying those rubbers on another All+/Off- blade (probably Galaxy E3) for training purposes.

Though if you already have well developed strokes/techniques and a good training partner/coach, then don't hesitate to use PG7 paired with TG3 Neo or other fast rubbers.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 22:06 
Super User

Maybe I,ve missed it, but what is the weight of the blade?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 01:18 

SirSpinsalot wrote:
UPDATE:
After more than a month of playing, I find that my current setup is quite fast. Fast in a sense that:
1. My training partner is scared of hitting hard because when I blocked his shot, it got returned fast.
2. My strokes became more European-like (more stroking upwards) instead of Chinese strokes (forward stroke with closed angle racket). Why? Because when I do Chinese strokes, it became unreturnable for the receiver. They can't react fast enough, the ball has a low trajectory, and has quite some spin especially at mid distance. Regrettably, this caused me to do european strokes more just to lessen the speed.
3. Poor/Good strokes & techniques gets exposed. If you make poor or half effort strokes, then you will get punished. But when you do make your best shots, your opponents will be in awe.

I haven't lost a match yet with my current setup. I almost lost 3-0, but then made a comeback with 3-4. The set up is definitely made for mid distance offensive looping/driving. Close to the table, it still does a good job but not the same as LKT Instinct+ with H3 Neo where I can do more third ball attacks, slow spinny opening loops, and looping underspin. I think it might be the H3 Neo's high throw and spin.

I'm really impressed with PG7 performance. It is like a fast do-it-all blade. I love it's mid-distance looping, blocking, flicking, and driving capabilities. Pushing and chopping is also good (I can't say if it is great in pushing/chopping because those are my weaknesses). It is also very durable; I accidentally nicked (3 times already) the edge of the blade but the wood didn't get chipped or splintered (probably because of the hardness of the wood). Even with a speedy setup, I was still able to make better spinny serves compared to the LKT Instinct+. My training partner even said, "What sorcery is this??" when he got surprised with my low height side/topspin pendulum serve because it looked like a backspin serve.

But I realize it is quite fast for me to train with my partner (We have no coach whatsoever, only through youtube videos). Right now I'm thinking of changing rubbers to lessen the speed, and do more spin/control. Maybe H3 (not NEO) on forehand and Dawei Inspirit on backhand. I'm even thinking of trying those rubbers on another All+/Off- blade (probably Galaxy E3) for training purposes.

Though if you already have well developed strokes/techniques and a good training partner/coach, then don't hesitate to use PG7 paired with TG3 Neo or other fast rubbers.

Can you pm me your videos

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 13:36 

loop__machine wrote:
Can you pm me your videos

Done.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 15:48 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

why not jsut junk the videos here anyway for everyone to see :)

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 17:31 

decoy wrote:
why not jsut junk the videos here anyway for everyone to see :)

It was just a serve practice video (not a match play), and I feel it has crappy quality and background/place. lol. How about I send the link to you and tell me if it is worth anyone's time? :)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 01:01 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

doesnt matter footage its footage anything helps another person understand quality and properties of equipment.

also what you linked me cant be viewed as your thing is set to private

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 04:10 

I have 5 of the PG7 blades all with the straight handle and they are my favorite blade. I use to use the Timo Bol Spirit and Michale Maze Butterfly blades but I play better with the PG7 and have more confidence with it. Plus they are cheap in price.