OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2008, 23:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Edit: Other threads relating to this blade:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=5350

Finally got my W-6 Loop King which I am going to put on the Mars and 804 Anti I got from Haggisv.

I thought I'd start a thread on this blade as there doesn't seem to be one and give it a sort of ongoing review as I use it.

My initial thoughts of this blade is that its very sexy/funky looking. It has the usual superb Galaxy finish, similar to my K-3, but obviously different coloured handle. The handle is really quite wide and fits nicely in the hand for a positive grip. You'll see in the pic below I also poly'd the handle. I am sick of having the handles get dirty and looking dull, so I figured I'd try this and see how it goes.

Known as the Loop King this is quite a thin blade of all wood that is supposed to be very similar construction as the Yasaka Gatien Extra. It is supposed to be 5 ply, but I have to admit I am struggling to see 5. It looks like 3, but I'm thinking it has a wafer thin top layer that looks almost exactly like the second layer, which is also pretty thin. The centre layer certainly takes up most of the total thickness of about 5.5mm. I'll try to get a good side shot of it and add it here when the poly dries.

The weight of this one was about 80g within the range its supposed to be 82+/- 3g. I have probably boosted it to its mid weight with a couple of layers of poly anyway.

The blade is rated at 8 for speed and 10 for control so I am expecting to find it play fairly similar to the K-3, but with perhaps a little more flex if the poly doesn't stiffen it up too much (Hookshot, I put 2 coats not 3 for this reason LOL).

This is the first time I have used an image host and I don't know why as I thought it would take a while to work it all out, but it was easy. So here's a pic of the blade before I have put any rubbers on, still wet with 2nd coat of poly.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Last edited by RebornTTEvnglist on 29 Dec 2008, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 03:20 

Sexy :lol:

good word to describe it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 09:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Haven't heard the term 'loop king', but no doubt it's a nice looping blade, and Galaxy can certainly use a name better than W-6. :wink: I think it will have a fair bit more flex than the K-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 10:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

This is where I got the name Loop King from. I didn't make it up, LOL.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gaxaly-W6-Loop-King-Table-Tennis-PingPong-Blade_W0QQitemZ310026409006QQihZ021QQcategoryZ36277QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 11:34 

Definitely a nice looking blade. Let us know how it plays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 11:43 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Is it only me who thinks that handle is really really garish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 12:41 

I used to poly my oars to my canoe, but i found them slippery & after a while the poly would start to peel & splinter and become very uncomfortable.
My mom is into restoring anitques & she suggested I use Linseed oil as a protectorant.
Might not be a bad idea for the handle.
http://www.solventfreepaint.com/maintenance_wax.htm

Hard Bat: LKT Instinct
Dr.Evil
Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.
-Honore de Balzac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 13:44 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Don't use Linseed oil. Well, you can if you want to try but, I think it would make it hard for the glue to stick. I also think the glues would attack it. It never drys to a hard finish. Let me know if you try it but I will pass on that one. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 13:56 

Crank in "Americanwoodworkers.com" and scroll down to finishes under articals if you want to know about the different types of finishes. They also publish a great guide to finishing telling about the good and bad of different finishes.
Oars are under terrible conditions for moisture. For outdoor uses and hi moisture conditions, Spar Urethane is reccomended. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 14:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Yeah I don't think a TT handle comes in for as much harshness as oars and I think Linseed oil stays quite oily. It's what is used to be used to oil cricket bats with (but not the handle). I think it would make the handle slippery. The poly has a nice feel to it on the handle but I haven't played with it yet, so I don't know how it will go. I might end up sticking a grip on it, which would be such a pity to cover such a beautifully garish handle. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 14:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Silver wrote:

Actually Silver when I first saw it I was put off by what I thought was exactly what you thought, a garish look. Took me ages to decide to have a go with it. Now I have it and can see it close up and with a shiny coat of poly on it, I've started to really like the look. Certainly a bit different. But it's how its plays will be the main thing. I'll be certain to post it Brainstorm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 15:20 

LOL,,,
I kind of like the yellow!
If you end up not likeing the feel of the poly on the handle, go over it with some 80 or 100 grit to rough it up again. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 00:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well I had a brief hit with it tonight. Sure makes a racket when the ball comes off it. Almost sounds like its got balsa inside, although I'm sure it's not at this thickness. I didn't hit long enough with it to get a real feel for it, but I did discover how difficult it is to block with the anti. Many shots I'd normally land were going way over the end. I played a few practice games with JJR, who I can normally beat and he turned the tables well and truly (although I think he is improving too). So I think the anti experiment may never find its way into competition as it doesn't allow you to do near as much as the LP's. But I will keep hitting with it for a while to see if I can get any further with it, because I didn't think much of the LP's when I first started with them either.

The poly'd handle actually didn't feel too bad. My hand was sweating up quite a lot, but then it was with the K-3 later too. I think this was mainly due to the warm night. The blade did feel a little flexier than the K-3 but I didn't find it any better for looping with the Mars than the K-3 is with the Quattro. I still think the feel of the K-3 is better, but perhaps I need to out Quattro and Neptune on the W-6 to really compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 13:19 

Silver wrote:

Different strokes for different folks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 18:41 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

hey nice blade and i like what you did on the handle!
My w2 looks the same with the exact same colour on the handle. I also varnished mind up i did the whole blade but left the face itself. I didnt use poly but i use superglue instead.
Try the pip on the backhand instead if its anything like the w2 it would have great feeling but the blade is overall slow so you may want to try something faster on the fh

Monkey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!