OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 00:33 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Just thought I would give a little update on the SZLC.
Suffered a little wrist tendonitis from over playing the last few weeks since getting the SZLC blade along with the league coming to an end.
At one stage last week I reverted back to the IF ZLC - the combination of the Tenergy 05s and the SZLC required a lot of concentration and I wanted something a little slower so I could re-work on my strokes.
Now that I've reverted back to using the SZLC I'm starting to get more confident and consistent with it. On balance I'm winning more points that what I was losing with the faster and better blocking setup. With the wrist feeling good again the feedback that I'm getting is that there is more spin and speed and a significant improvement in my BH. Feeling more confident with the new setup. In rallies I'm more on top of my opponent where I feel I can finish with a winning point.
Still keeping the IF ZLCs on hand and did think at one stage that the Tenergy 05s were too fast for the blade. Felt that something like the Tibhar FX-Ps (the slower softer Evolution) may be a better match for the SZLC.
If anyone is thinking of buying one I would try before ordering. But we warned that once smitten it may be hard to go back to an ordinary blade.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 14:35 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Sounds good multi. It will be interesting to compare your pre-SZLC to your post-SZLC league results. Are you currently playing league now?

I haven't tried either the Innerforce ZLC or the SZLC - is there really such an obvious difference in speed? (Reviews suggest they are both fairly fast). Also, if the difference in speed is the allure of the SZLC, wouldn't putting a softer slower rubber on it defeat the purpose?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 20:24 

Well if I may be so bold, I can answer--subjectively--the above question as I am one of those Div 2 players Multi used to struggle against. However, played him in a match on Tuesday and he beat me fairly handily. In our last match, I didn't drop a set to him and would normally beat him but Tuesday he played like a man possessed and I was well beaten, hands up. I would have said at the time that he simply played better than he had before, maybe practicing more etc. But when I think of it, he was getting a lot more spin from shorter strokes. Much more spin on serves as well though I can never tell--in myself as well--whether this is from the blade or the rubbers. I would be much more of a skeptic when it comes to buying expensive Bttfly stuff etc. and as to whether equiptment (I only buy secondhand blades--got my TB ALC for 40€!) is all that important as long as you practice enough and (most importantly) correctly, but equipment might be worth two or three points a game and this week, it definitely was for Multispoke!

PS. Now sell me your Zetro Quad for a decent price, Multi! :D

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 21:15 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Great to hear! Wow, a 20-30% increase in standard - I'm a getting me one of them blades!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 13:37 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
I haven't tried either the Innerforce ZLC or the SZLC - is there really such an obvious difference in speed? (Reviews suggest they are both fairly fast).

There actually is a very noticeable difference in speed. I've tried both blades with the same rubbers (Palio Blit'z soft) and the SZLC is clearly a "hotter" blade. I had a 2000 level player rally with both and he concurred.

Interestingly, I had another 2000 level player try one of my WSC JO's and one of my IF ZLC's, both with same rubbers (again, Palio Blit'z soft), and he was surprised when I told him that the IF ZLC is rated as the faster blade. The IF ZLC truly has a remarkably woody, absorbing feel to it.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 21:22 
Super User

kevgeomcc wrote:
PS. Now sell me your Zetro Quad for a decent price, Multi! :D

Well Kev - I have just ordered your new book 'Irregulars Kevin' as a thank you for the flattering post. I was genuinely lost for words but your skill as a writer comes through. I could talk about the sandwiches and the cream cakes after the match or the time out that your no. 1 seed took under your advice when I was 8-6 up in the 5th set but to end up losing with his anti-loop BH rubber getting the better of me. Had to go back in for a session with John afterwards to heal the wounds :)

Your saying of 'Writing is more important to me than table tennis but only just....' hit a cord with me.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 23:21 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
Also, if the difference in speed is the allure of the SZLC, wouldn't putting a softer slower rubber on it defeat the purpose?

Too true. Hence the reason for not doing that. If I had to off load it I would put slower rubbers on it.

carbonman wrote:
Sounds good multi. It will be interesting to compare your pre-SZLC to your post-SZLC league results. Are you currently playing league now?

Last league match was against Kev's team during the week. Bottom line was that I still only won one match in three compared to the last time I played them but the matches were more tightly played. Since the other teammates won most of their matches we are now in the play off in the Cup at Division 1 level which is the week after next.

carbonman wrote:
I haven't tried either the Innerforce ZLC or the SZLC - is there really such an obvious difference in speed? (Reviews suggest they are both fairly fast).

As mentioned on a previous post the SZLC is a hotter blade but on occasions when I have to give someone a play with it I use my old ZLC and being the heavier at 93 grams feels as fast but the ball does not initially come off the blade as quick. Personally I prefer the feel and vibrations of the standard ZLC but with the SZLC you can play harder for longer. After playing for 3 hours last night nearly non stop I wasn't getting the usual aches and pains with my shoulder and on balance felt OK but tired. If I had played with the ZLC at the same pace I would have been on my knees.

After using the SZLC in competition and training it has the speed of say an Amultart but still has the control of the standard IF ZLC if you focus on keeping your strokes right. Thinking of the Hayabusa ZXi - that blade didn't close to what I was looking for. Still early days yet but a key test for the SZLC will be in the Cup when we face the our own club's Premier / Division 1 team in the first round. I'm hoping to break through the glass ceiling of averaging one in 3.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 19:54 

Multispoke: that video you posted earlier seems to be of rallies from league-play in 2012 (just basing that assumption off its title). Was the SZLC available then?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 21:07 
Super User

Quick update on the SZLC. Still using it. Starting to enjoy it now despite having a numbed feeling. A comment that came back from a contributor on the OOAK is that it was 'a bit hollow' and he also stated that the IF ZLC was a very good blade (better blade). If I wasn't looking to compete at a higher level I would probably agree with him.

slevin wrote:
Multispoke: that video you posted earlier seems to be of rallies from league-play in 2012 (just basing that assumption off its title). Was the SZLC available then?

This is the video that you're referring to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xId6NU_31PI

and it came from here...
http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=142836&page=19

The date on the title threw me as well.
If you check the upload date of the video it's the 4th Dec 2013.
The posting is dated the 12th June 2013 and from memory the SZLC was released around April 2013.
You could always send a PM to be certain.
If you get a response back would appreciate if you would update the forum.

Below is a google 'chrome' translation of his posting but it's hard going...

So, after a wonderful test, I can now finally give my opinion about the wood. I try to be as neutral and as much detail as possible on the technical characteristics and the possibilities and potential to respond and I hope to convey to you as an exact impression as possible. For this I have the review by top copied and supplemented. To me: I'm currently playing the hits and two carboxylic Tensorbeläge to maximum. Normally I could have me with more horsepower make friends very well, but would now like time to try something different and make my game a little "cleaner". From a slightly more controlled, since slower wood, I expect a better Auschlag / check game and thus a better structure of my game. (Although I spread / check player'm quite clear who is faithful to the "three-point principle from China.) My game system is, to go with my material -. uncompromising and brutally aggressive Each long serve, on chopped, as well as block, counter and topspin are compared removed or flipped / shot forehand -.. entire table backhand is used in the form of compressed blocks or short shelf. It shows clearly that my statements regarding the backhand "relative" are vague, as this is not my "Subject" is. My TTR varies between 1920 . -1980 Technical characteristics of Zhang Jike Super ZLC: - Editing: This wood has incredible spin potential is something I have never experienced before - but was the "Hurricane King" very well tuned This is my opinion on the anatomy of the workpiece.. . lie Both are very soft - More on this later. ball bounce: No lie, I have not even begin to found such a low bounce of the ball with a wood The first topspin caught my network.. (Ca the first 5) Until I had optimized the movement, 30Bälle have been played. trajectory affects the following points: Topspin on block: Very negative, because you have to make a lot or should perform the backswing for hard topspin as a counterattack. The wrist I then used as a spinning machine. The ball bounce is very low, so I have to go right over the ball and really tear it forward. topspin against topspin: middlings. I was able to print my partner does not reciprocate properly, but I forced him to errors and prevented it, fully durchzuladen because a great deal was cut in my topspin. Topspin against chopped: opening comes loose very good. Multi-cut and low. Placement is all balls no problem. Schupf: Schupfs are well placeable, right sleekly when reinhackt and also very low. , short / short, short / short is an absolute dream. Those things have themselves become riiichtig short for pure Seitschnittangaben, so the other, who has been waiting for a long setback, has sometimes made a mistake, because he barely came off. . HAAAAMMER Real Block: Blocks are also great. Forehand they go super and controlled and backhand press comes powerful. The are not as dynamic as a pop-sledgehammer is so logical. spread / recoil: Premium / setback is also riiiiiiiiiiiichtig horny. The thing developed in well-made balls nastiest cut and the impacts of the opponent are to be filed slightly short. The aggressive Schupfes were more difficult to play. flip: flip is not at all good. Wood is much too soft. Suck. shot: When the ball is high, quite ok, but watch out if you needed time Power. . Corrosive Conclusion: Horny wood for a flawless build-up play with a short statement, short cover and opening stop spinning. It is by far the softest wood I've ever seen. The grip in my hand vibrates when I hold the ball. I hope it was more. Otherwise, please take and express wishes criticism. . Bear in mind that I have previously played a hit beatings and not every game system is the same . Moreover, I might do with respect to other woods difficult comparisons as I played seven years my pop to create a market-disclosing material assessment / experimental phase Regards Buhlinator http: / / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xId6NU_31PI

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 15:09 

I bought and tested the ZJK ALC, ZLC and the SZLC side-by-side (all with same rubbers) and decided to use the SZLC. I've been using it for about 10 days with max T05 on both sides.

Here's my take:
If you are an at-the-table player, don't buy this blade as it gives no added advantage while not being the most optimal blade close to the table. But for looping & driving from mid-distance, there probably isn't a better blade. The advantage of this one over other mid-distance blades is the proficiency in the short game (better than ZJK-ALC) and spin in opening loops (whether this is better than the ZJK-ALC or not depends on your stroke). Even though the speed is high, the stiffness and large sweetspot provide very good control. Good dwell in the mid-distance game.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 16:48 
Super User

slevin, how does it compare to the other Butterfly ZLC blades like TB ZLC, JM, and Amultart?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 02:59 
Super User

slevin wrote:

When I saw your last post I send a PM to Buhlinator and he very kindly replied back promptly.

He was using a Schlager Carbon in the video !!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've included below an edited version of his email...

Dear Friend,
I can confirm this. I didn't Play the ZJSZLC in this Video. I played the "Schlager Carbon"
Schlager is maybe the fastest blade you can Play.
BUT:
now I play in third German league "xxxxxxxx" and Play the ZJSZLC and played HARDER than last year in the 4th league "xxxxxxxxxxx"
1st more your Hand than the blade. The ZJSZLC is muuuuuch slower than the Schlager Carbon, but I think, it's a real good blade, because you got much more control and can Play very short on serves.
the truth: if you use your Hand right, you don't Need to Play a very fast blade.
my FASTEST FLIP EVERY did I Play with the ZJSZLC. My Video got HD Quality. 30frames per second but I CAN'T SEE THIS FLIP!
maybe I can send the video to you. :D
Have a nice day!

So this explains why the SZLC belongs in the 'Offensive' category (not the Offensive +) despite being a 'hot' blade.
If anyone wants to emulate Buhlinator they'll now know what blade to use.
My apologies if I've misled anyone in buying the SZLC - I hope they haven't felt short changed. :angel:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 05:35 

tt2u wrote:
slevin, how does it compare to the other Butterfly ZLC blades like TB ZLC, JM, and Amultart?

Compared to the TB-ZLC, it feels softer. The SZLC has better spin and control in the short game and more control from mid-distance (TB-ZLC exhibits more catapult in strokes due to its slight flex which to me takes longer to get used to / control in a fast blade). I like the solid feel of the TB-ZLC though.

I haven't tested the JM or Amultart side-by-side with the SZLC so I won't speculate. A french player (who uses the JM) on another forum commented that the SZLC has better control than the JM and is more powerful.

Last edited by slevin on 05 Apr 2014, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 12:10 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Multispoke wrote:
1st more your Hand than the blade....
the truth: if you use your Hand right, you don't Need to Play a very fast blade.

Manufacturers should be legally forced to print this on their packaging in the same way that cigarette companies have to display health warnings. :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 07:01 
Super User

slevin, so szlc doesn't produce more spin in loops with the same rubbers, just the short game? Which blade produce more spin with slow hand speed and fast hand speed? Thx.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!