OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 15:53 

tt2u wrote:
slevin, so szlc doesn't produce more spin in loops with the same rubbers, just the short game? Which blade produce more spin with slow hand speed and fast hand speed? Thx.

High spin does not define the SZLC (even though it has great spin in opening loops) - power and control do. For a pure looper's blade, go with the ALC, ZLF or a suitable 5-ply all-wood.

From mid-distance, to generate great spin, SZLC optimally should be used with faster hand speed than the ALC blades need to be. Flexy blades can used with slower hand speed.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 03:09 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Multispoke wrote:
Dear Friend,
maybe I can send the video to you. :D

900km - topspin sent me a link to his video using the SZLC..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wFhYCg98p4
here is the first set of a very high Quality game.
me 1960 TTR. He 2000 TTR.
Greetings!

Previously I mentioned that the SZLC was a hotter blade than the IF ZLC. I would like to revise this and state that it's different to the IF ZLC and in some respects the IF ZLC is faster than SZLC.
A coach friend of mine had a go with the SZLC after all the hype he heard he commented that it was more of a control blade and was not the offensive + he was expecting.

For anyone out there who would be deemed to be a developing player DO NOT BUY this blade. It's not worth it.
I was asked by a developing player what rubbers would go best on this blade and I put them off the blade and recommended that they go buy a Yinhe V14 with a Vega Pro on the FH and a Baracuda on the BH - this would be significantly cheaper than lining the pockets of Butterfly with the prices that are now being charged.

I love my SZLC with the T05 and the T05FX and it's consistency but ITS NOT WORTH THE MONEY !!!!!
If you have plenty of money sitting in the bank doing nothing then maybe buy it if you really want it otherwise there is better ways to spend your money.

The Koto outer pile of the SZLC gives a numb sensation and does not have the vibrations of the IF ZLC with the Limba outer pile.
Noticed recently that Liam Pitchford uses a IF ALC which is a good recommendation for the Innerforce series.

EDIT: Corrected a few typos

Last edited by Multispoke on 31 May 2014, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 10:49 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that the change in blade gave you a 2-3 point per game improvement. Was this improvement reflected in your league results for the most recent season?

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 17:28 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
Earlier in this thread it was suggested that the change in blade gave you a 2-3 point per game improvement. Was this improvement reflected in your league results for the most recent season?

What triggered the last post was a PM that I received. If I was to buy the SZLC blade now it would cost around €350 as opposed to the €218 that I paid at the time for it.
The 2-3 point advantage I gained was probably improvement in my game over the last season by playing 3-4 times per week averaging between 8-10 hours actual play time. The SZLC did have more control over the IF ZLC but to be honest the IF ZLC was too fast a blade for me at that time and I should have been using a slower blade. This became obvious to me when I got a go of a Yinhe V14 with a Vega Pro (less spin sensitive slower T05) and a normal BH rubber could have be a Coppa X1 or Acuda S2. It was owned by a top vet who bought it to replace his BTY Timo Boll ZLC which was obviously too fast for him as well.

I didn't want this thread to entice people into thinking that if you bought the SZLC blade that all of a sudden you'd be transformed overnight.

The other guy in the club who bought his SZLC (he got his before me) has made some marginal improvements over the blade that he used to use which was a Donic Persson Dotec and he plans to put the SZLC in his will donating to one of his loved ones. He has slightly more sensible rubbers on using a T80 and a FX-P.

So to answer your question my team won division 2 by a 7 point margin but I was the weaker team member in no. 3 slot. Previous season my team won division 4 where I was no. 1. So last season was one of survival as opposed to being the man on top. I might have done just as well with a Yinhe V14.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 18:10 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

No worries and of course it wasnt you who suggested the 2-3 point improvement.

Just out of interest, is the SZLC reasonably light and non-top heavy? Does it feel 'tinny' like a lot of composite blades? As my shoulder slowly deteriorates I fear that sooner or later I may have to go to a faster and lighter blade.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 23:44 
Super User

carbonman wrote:

Just out of interest, is the SZLC reasonably light and non-top heavy? Does it feel 'tinny' like a lot of composite blades? As my shoulder slowly deteriorates I fear that sooner or later I may have to go to a faster and lighter blade.

I did the faster lighter blade with the Hayabusa ZXi and I hated the blade. At 82 grams it was too light.
SZLC comes in at 88-89 grams and it's the perfect weight.
It's nicely balanced and isn't at all top heavy.
T05FX keeps the weight at a respectful 185-186 grams and that's with rim tape.

The fact that I could play a regular 10 hours per week my own shoulder gave no trouble but the wrist was starting to get sore.
With the heavier IF ZLC this would be generally > 190 grams I would get a sore shoulder if I over played.
The lighter IF ZLC despite being lighter was harder to control since it seemed to catapult more.

A coach in my current club used the SZLC last week and loved it. He suffers from a sore shoulder. He commented that it was a 20 hour blade. What he meant by that is that it needs 20 hours of playing a week to keep on top of it. Problem with the SZLC is that it doesn't vibrate like the IF ZLC and you really have to 'listen' to know what's going on.
If you're playing competition the SZLC would be my first choice.
For fun I would prefer the IF ZLC. Problem with it is that it's non-linear. Good wood feel on soft touch (2 piles of Limba) but then when the carbon is engaged the speed seems to increase exponentially.

A guy who used to contribute on here had a play with the SZLC said that it was hollow and he didn't seem to like it. I didn't notice that until he pointed it out. I would partially agree with him.

If you can get a go of one you'll know within a few minutes if it's going to be a keeper or not.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 23:56 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure there is guy at my club who uses one so I will check it out.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 00:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
carbonman wrote:

Shock Horror!!! The EJ Boogeyman sounds like he has a slight touch of the EJ sickness! :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 00:38 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

lol - Purchasing my second blade in 25+ years may not quite guarantee me EJ status.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 12:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
True, but that's how we all start... 8)

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 13:04 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

:rofl:

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 05:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have played with both. The ZJK-ALC is much better.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014, 09:24 

Baal wrote:
I have played with both. The ZJK-ALC is much better.

I've had a hit with the SZLC and ply with a Viscaria. I agree that the ALC blades are better - at looping and speed/depth control.

The SZLC is one powerful and consistent blade however. Recommend for the all out attacker who like to hit and loop drive. Also good for blockers as it's consistency of rebound is the best I've experienced. Too stiff for a pure looping game. I like the above comment of someone's coach who said "20 hour blade", sounds about right to me. Without that high level of feel for the ball that comes from lots of training, the SZLC blade is too hot a proposition for most.

If you don't really care too much about consistency and like blasting balls, then the SZLC is oodles of fun.

The new fibre is an advancement in blade technology for sure, I suspect we will see other blades very soon. The Mizutani Jun SZLC is on the market, same composition but with Limba outer plies (I expect this one have a bit more flex than the Zhang Jike model, highly anticipated by EJ's no doubt). The Innerforce SZLC will surely happen too......

Butterfly know their stuff, and how to create an elite brand with top quality and pricing to match!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014, 02:20 
Super User

From playing with the SZLC now for 8-10 hours per week for the last few months I'm just starting to get to know how it plays.
If you return the ball slightly off centre in the direction of the top part of the blade you get a bit more arc / spin and then for driving / smashing the centre is used.
If I go off centre on the Innerforce I don't get the same effect which has a different kind of stiffness particularly on the heavier 93 gram blade.
The T05FX pairs well with it on the BH.
For the FH a medium tackiness rubber seems preferable to the more bouncy T05.
I would agree that it doesn't loop as well as the more flexi TB ALC in the lighter weight of 84 grams (I haven't tried a Viscaria or a heavier TB ALC).

The coach who remarked that it was a 20 hour blade may have exaggerated a little. It's more a 10-12 hour blade.

After playing with a Stiga Infinity VPS yesterday for a bit - the SZLC and the IF blade are genuinely in a different league and a lot more satisfying to play with and don't have it's hollow sound.

P.S. Xiom have a new blade called Xiom Vega Pro and Xiom Vega Europe with a reputed large sweet spot along the lines of the ZLC / SZLC. Europe is faster and the Pro uses Limba like the Jun Mizutani. Priced along the lines of the Hayabusa.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 10:22 

SLIGHTLY Off topic...
[quote="Multispoke"
P.S. Xiom have a new blade called Xiom Vega Pro and Xiom Vega Europe with a reputed large sweet spot along the lines of the ZLC / SZLC. Europe is faster and the Pro uses Limba like the Jun Mizutani. Priced along the lines of the Hayabusa.[/quote]

has anyone compared the SZLC to Xiom Vega Pro yet? i'm interested on the dwell time and feell of the XIOM Vega Pro

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next