OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 23:21 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
After doing a bit of searching on the above blade there does not appear to be anything on it on the OOAK.

Did find some information on the other forum and eventually got something a bit more useful on a German forum. On the German forum it seemed to indicate that T05s doesn't seem to work as well as a T64 since it seems to be slightly stiffer. Also it is not really in the OFF + category and blocks really well.

Is anyone one on here using this blade ?

I've struggled somewhat with the idea of paying mad money for what some would term to be rip off price but managed to source a supplier who has agreed to supply it at very reasonably money compared to the price that I paid for the IF ZLC blades.

Did have a little play with a Hayabusa ZXi and was dearly disappointed with it and returned it since I was not good enough to play with the stiffer setup.

The Super ZLC seems to be geared for the a club player allowing a decent return if you are not bang on the sweet spot.

Not too sure when I hope to get the one I ordered - it's an Anatomic and have asked for it to be in a range of 88-90 grams (adds 2 weeks + to the order) to allow a max T05 on the BH but if it does not work out :oops: it will be up from grabs. :clap:

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the blade and give some amateur feedback on it.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 04:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I would not agree that you need T64 on on a super ZLC. I don't own it, but have hit with it several times, and T05 is fine. Personally I thought the ALC version was better. It is stiff, crisp, does block nicely, is not ridiculously fast, but faster than a Viscaria, and is a nice blade but crazy expensive.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 05:32 
Super User

Baal wrote:
I would not agree that you need T64 on on a super ZLC. I don't own it, but have hit with it several times, and T05 is fine. Personally I thought the ALC version was better. It is stiff, crisp, does block nicely, is not ridiculously fast, but faster than a Viscaria, and is a nice blade but crazy expensive.

Thanks for the feedback Baal.
This is where I've ordered it from
http://ta-q.jp/en/new-cgi/endetail.php? ... 6542-36544
and at current conversion rates works out at €211 which isn't that much more than the €160 that I paid for the IF ZLC.
In the UK it's retailing at £315 which works out at €385 which is crazy expensive.
The ratings on tabletennisdb gave it the stiffness rating of 'average' of 5.7 which is higher than your Visacaria or the TB / IF ZLCs
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/butt ... r-zlc.html
Do you reckon that the ratings are wrong and in reality is it as stiff as say a Hayabusa ZXi or a BTY Amultart ?
Glad to hear that it's fine with T05s - didn't want to go changing to something like a T64.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 09:43 
Super User

I wonder if it come glowing in the dark!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 10:08 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

That's an awful lot of money to spend on a bat, especially when you already have others! Why do you need a new one? Btw - Be wary of online reviews unless you know who has written them. From what I have seen, many reviews have been written by players who are little more than beginners and can't even play the shots they are writing about.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 14:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Multispoke wrote:
Baal wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Baal.
This is where I've ordered it from
http://ta-q.jp/en/new-cgi/endetail.php? ... 6542-36544
and at current conversion rates works out at €211 which isn't that much more than the €160 that I paid for the IF ZLC.
In the UK it's retailing at £315 which works out at €385 which is crazy expensive.
The ratings on tabletennisdb gave it the stiffness rating of 'average' of 5.7 which is higher than your Visacaria or the TB / IF ZLCs
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/butt ... r-zlc.html
Do you reckon that the ratings are wrong and in reality is it as stiff as say a Hayabusa ZXi or a BTY Amultart ?
Glad to hear that it's fine with T05s - didn't want to go changing to something like a T64.

super ZLC version is stiffer than Viscaria and faster. ALC is version more like Viscaria (not surprisingly). I actually don't know what a Hayabusa plays like. It is a much more balanced blade than an Amultart overall. It is fine with 05. I think 64 would make it too fast (at least for my tastes).

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 23:22 
Super User

Baal wrote:
super ZLC version is stiffer than Viscaria and faster. ALC is version more like Viscaria (not surprisingly). I actually don't know what a Hayabusa plays like. It is a much more balanced blade than an Amultart overall. It is fine with 05. I think 64 would make it too fast (at least for my tastes).

Thanks for that Baal. Sounds like the SZLC stiffness is midway between a Viscaria / ALC and a Amultart. I was looking to trade some dwell time of the IF ZLC for slightly more speed.

carbonman wrote:
That's an awful lot of money to spend on a bat, especially when you already have others! Why do you need a new one? Btw - Be wary of online reviews unless you know who has written them. From what I have seen, many reviews have been written by players who are little more than beginners and can't even play the shots they are writing about.

That is a good question on why on a new one...
Well as a 52 year old playing against a lot of better players who are half my age and who are quicker and faster than me I thought that by fine tuning the equipment I hope to be able to better compete with them. I have struggled with the ethics of spending so much on a blade but then my younger brother who has a pro licence in Golf wouldn't think twice about spending €300 on a driver to get another 10 yards.

Here's the link to the German forum - you'll need a translator for the German...
http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=142836&page=19

On the youtube it's easy to spot who's playing with the SZLC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xId6NU_31PI

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 07:44 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Multispoke wrote:
carbonman wrote:

That is a good question on why on a new one...
Well as a 52 year old playing against a lot of better players who are half my age and who are quicker and faster than me I thought that by fine tuning the equipment I hope to be able to better compete with them. I have struggled with the ethics of spending so much on a blade but then my younger brother who has a pro licence in Golf wouldn't think twice about spending €300 on a driver to get another 10 yards.

I'm really not sure who is using the szlc in the clip. Strong players dont need ultra-fast equipment to hit powerfully which is why so many of them actually don't use ultra-fast equipment. The guy in this clip uses an all-round blade and he hits very powerfully...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--khwB5Uts

From my experience the problem with most non-elite players is not that they don't hit fast enough but rather that they don't get the ball on the table enough. Without the correct technique faster equipment usually adds nothing to the speed of their shots but rather just adds to their inconsistency.

I am also 52 and I had a shoulder op 2 years ago. (The shoulder is still not 100%.) I use an ALL+ and lack of power is never an issue.

I haven't seen you play and it could well be that very fast equipment and the new blade suit you perfectly. If that is the case then that is great. :)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 04:03 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
I'm really not sure who is using the szlc in the clip.

It's the guy with the black top & shorts. He's using a handle of '900 k/m - Topspin' and his youtube is more or less the same. Looking at his earlier youtubes that are about a year old there's a significant difference in speed of the finishing shot.

carbonman wrote:
Strong players don't need ultra-fast equipment to hit powerfully which is why so many of them actually don't use ultra-fast equipment.

+1

carbonman wrote:
The guy in this clip uses an all-round blade and he hits very powerfully...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--khwB5Uts

Very good clip :up: wish I could play like that.

carbonman wrote:
From my experience the problem with most non-elite players is not that they don't hit fast enough but rather that they don't get the ball on the table enough. Without the correct technique faster equipment usually adds nothing to the speed of their shots but rather just adds to their inconsistency.

That is a concern that I'll have. TBH the IF ZLC is barely within my ability and to keep on top of the blade I find that I have to be train 3-4 times a week to play to the best of my ability. With work / travel I don't always get that. I'm taking a gamble with this SZLC and I've probably lost the plot.

carbonman wrote:
I am also 52 and I had a shoulder op 2 years ago. (The shoulder is still not 100%.) I use an ALL+ and lack of power is never an issue.

I had mine done before keyhole surgery was the norm and it took 20 years before I had the confidence to really use it again. Endured 6 months of pain. :( Reckon I've lost around 20% power from it and have a restriction on movement that makes the butterfly stoke in swimming risky to do. Have mixed experiences of physiotherapists. Hopefully yours will come back as good as new.

carbonman wrote:
I haven't seen you play and it could well be that very fast equipment and the new blade suit you perfectly. If that is the case then that is great. :)

Thanks for the encouragement :up: but given my track record of some bad purchases I would like to remain hopeful :)
As regards doing a video of myself I wanted to remain anonymous but that's not easy given how relatively small the TT community is here.

If anyone is interested I hope to have the SZLC in about a month's time.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 17:08 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Multispoke wrote:
carbonman wrote:

That is a concern that I'll have. TBH the IF ZLC is barely within my ability and to keep on top of the blade I find that I have to be train 3-4 times a week to play to the best of my ability. With work / travel I don't always get that. I'm taking a gamble with this SZLC and I've probably lost the plot.

carbonman wrote:

I had mine done before keyhole surgery was the norm and it took 20 years before I had the confidence to really use it again. Endured 6 months of pain. :( Reckon I've lost around 20% power from it and have a restriction on movement that makes the butterfly stoke in swimming risky to do. Have mixed experiences of physiotherapists. Hopefully yours will come back as good as new.

My op cleaned things up a bit and did help but I have bad arthritis in the shoulder which is only going to get worse. In order to adapt to this I am working to improve my blocking and am changing my game from a fast FH dominated attacking style to a more control based 2 winged approach. A faster blade wouldn't help because in order to get sufficient topspin with the decreased dwell-time I would actually have to swing faster- and this would put more strain on the shoulder. Also, I would lose ball-control with a faster blade.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 18:27 
Super User

This honestly just looks like a gimmick to me. We got the inner force and Timo boll range now there is a more expensive carbon blade range from bty. You know bty have let people down these past couple of years. No new technology for new blades and still bragging about tenergy series which is old. They turned their back on wood blades because it doesn't work with tenergy. To be honest if you are not playing div 1, and are training at least five times a week don't use carbon blades, you can't control it and there is a higher room for error in your shots than a wood blade as you will hit them long and high.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 04:55 
Super User

If this is the 500 dollar blade then I think I've had a hit with it twice now. Both times I found the blade to be quite slow. Perhaps off minus. Dwell time and control were great but again the speed was disappointing. Plays a bit similar to the inner force blade with loopy sort of trajectory. Because a World Class player uses this blade means nothing. Many of them also use Hurricane rubbers which I find to be seriously on the slow side compared to modern tensor rubbers.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 07:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Multispoke wrote:
Baal wrote:

This player is fantastic to watch. His no backswing FH is unbelievable! I'm sure he can do that with most any decent blade, however.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 07:57 
Super User

Yea, his style and skill is very good doesn't really matter if he is playing what blade he plays with. I don't think buying one of these new super magic carbon blades are going to make you a better player. Can someone give a full review of the blade soon.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 08:19 
The King

If I would spend that much money on a blade it would be a custom made blade by probably Ross or Charlie. For the same money you could even have 2 or 3 blades made. A customized blade by yinhe/galaxy would also be an option and even cheaper than a custom blade from scratch.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence