OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 17:28 
The King

The weight of blades is a topic of discussion that shows up pretty much every week. In one thread someone (I forgot who, sorry!) Someone mentioned briefly reducing the weight of a blade in an oven. Never tried that before and I'm always looking for new experiments so I gave that a try. The victim was a butterfly Matsushita powerdefence which is a great blade but this particular blade weighed 101 gram which is very heavy for a blade.

I put the blade in the oven with some baking paper underneath, and set the timer to 3 minutes. I didn't know what to expect but all seemed to go well, no smoke coming from the oven. The result was surprisingly good, already down to 97 gram. I repeated the process a few times and the weight is now down to a whopping 91gram which is almost 10% less!

I will try with a few more blades later on and see if I can this blade under 90 gram. If you want to try this yourself: do not put the blade in the oven for too long, 3 minute sessions work well. Too long and the glue may melt and the wood will start showing burn marks. Also take some time (few minutes) between sessions as you don't want the oven to get too hot. And of course be careful if there's glue residue on the blade.

Update: I got the Matsushita down to 90gram, weight doesn't seem to go down any further. Next victim is defplay which started at 84gram.

Update 2: defplay down to 76 after 3 minutes but the plastic lens on the handle started to melt already, a problem the Matsushita did not have

Update 3: defplay doesn't change in weight anymore, 76 gram is the lowest I can get it. The wood on the defplay changes color rapidly in the oven.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Last edited by Elvis56 on 28 Feb 2014, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 17:59 

Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Donic Bluefire JP02
BH: Donic Bluefire JP02
Elvis,

Perhaps usefull if you could mention the oven temperature.
Maybe you could even experiment with different temperatures?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 18:03 
The King

Well I set the oven to 220 but it never reaches that temperature because it's only 3 minutes at a time. My oven doesn't give an exact temperature but I guess it gets to around 150 (celcius that is)

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 18:20 
The King

I didn't realize this until I compared with my other Matsushita blade but it turned much much darker. Looks natural though, evenly changed color. Next victim is the yinhe schild, mainly because it doesn't have a plastic lens in the handle. Starts out at 80 gram.

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1393577390717.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393577390717.jpg [ 37.12 KiB | Viewed 5773 times ]

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 18:33 
The King

Schild down to 77, but showing some burn marks around the edges. Enough testing for today. Your mileage may vary it does seem to work on all blades. Probably best to try this on a blade that has not been sealed. I sealed the defplay handle before and after the oven treatment it looks like it has been in a warzone.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 18:44 
The King

One more: custom ttpiet balsa blade to see how balsa reacts in the oven. Started out at 82 gram. 79 after 3 minutes. 76 after 6 minutes. To prevent burn marks keeping the temperature to 160 maximum seems to work well.

Btw, the defplay recovered from the warzone after light sanding and polishing with toothpaste.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 19:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, that's really impressive Elvis56! A highly successful experiment indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you tried any of them to see if it affects the performance? The weight itself would no doubt affect the performance somewhat already.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 19:42 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Would be interesting to know if they gain weight over time (i.e. re-absorb moisture that you have temporarily dried out)

185g

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 19:43 
The King

haggisv wrote:
Wow, that's really impressive Elvis56! A highly successful experiment indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you tried any of them to see if it affects the performance? The weight itself would no doubt affect the performance somewhat already.

The other Matsushita weighs 102 gram, I will put similar rubbers on the blades and compare tonight.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 19:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Great research Elvis! What happens if you leave the rubber on the blade at that temp?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 20:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Donic burn Defplay Senso lol,interesting experiment maybe the feel will be a little harder now?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 20:13 
The King

I couldn't resist doing some more experiments. The new and improved method: set the oven at 150 degrees and leave the blade in for 10 minutes. No melting lenses, no burn marks, no color changes. Tested on a dhs sirocco all-round (which by the way are the best value for money blades I ever bought at $4 a piece), the weight went down from 85 to 80. The second sirocco went down from 83 to 78 so both 5 gram less. For the second one the oven was at 160 and there was a slight color change so 150 seems to be the magic number.

Latest result: yasaka sweeper from 81 to 76.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 22:25 
The King

mynamenotbob wrote:
Great research Elvis! What happens if you leave the rubber on the blade at that temp?

I got a spectacular 25% reduction in weight on an old sheet of Neptune..... But that was because the sheet caught fire. I think it was touching some iron part in the oven.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 22:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
lol. My oven only goes down to 170. I wonder how low I can get a Stiga Clipper?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 22:50 

Very interesting ! I knew you could bake rubbers (especially pips out and anti), but never thought to put blades in the oven !
I wonder... do the "cooked" blades feel stiffer ? harder ? Will they gain back their weight after some time ?