OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 01:06 

Anyone tried this blade. I'm looking for a new blade which is slower, softer than Victas Koji Matsushita Offensive and of course, oversized blade.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 08:08 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
I use the Butterfly Pro Defence as my "main blade", and have now for 1 year.

The first blade I used for defensive play (inverted one side, LPs on the other) was the Butterfly Innershield. I found it... fairly poor. It had bags of control, and I got a lot of spin with my Omega IV rubber, but it felt slow and "hollow".

I then moved to the Joo Saehyuk and that became my staple blade for quite a while. However, regardless of which inverted rubber I coupled it with, it was just too fast for me. It's phenomenal off the table, but closer to the table I found it ineffective because I couldn't keep my loops on consistently enough. Obviously that's a technique issue too but at least with the Innershield I could "really go for it" and loop my heart out, knowing that I'd get the ball on the table - even if it didn't feel as difficult for my opponent to return.

I spent some time looking for a replacement to the JSH. Something with a similar feel - I love how "hard" the blade feels, and how well it works with rubbers like Hurricane 3.

I tried the Innershield again - no go. I tried the Victas Koji Matsushita (red/pink handle version) - frankly I found that almost identical to the Innershield.

I was going to try some other blades, but on a whim I decided to buy the Defence Pro from a stand at a local tournament. Since then, I haven't looked back.

For me, it's a "mini JSH" blade. By mini I don't mean physically smaller - I mean lighter, slower, and with more control - but, most importantly, a similar feeling. It's a great looping blade (more flex than the JSH) and has good control (not quite Innershield levels, but a definite improvement over the JSH).

It's essentially the middle ground between something as slow as the Innershield, and something as fast and frightening as the JSH.

In terms of rubbers, it works with a huge range - Hurricane 3 is OK with it (but without the extra speed of the JSH, you might find it a bit slow), as is Victas 401 and my current rubber Tenergy 05. I know it would work with Tenergy 80 too, and I'll be trying it with Airoc Astro in the near future.

Its only real downside is its speed. It simply isn't as quick as my JSH. When I first started playing with it, I immediately found that I was getting into rallies more often... but also that I wasn't winning as many points with my forehand. It took me a little while to realise that I'd been dependent upon really hammering the ball home with the JSH, and that I wasn't really placing the ball (plus, I jumped 2 divisions from playing with JSH in D2 to then playing BPD in Premier... so not really a fair contest). Over the table, speed isn't really an issue. Away from the table, it is, but it's actually helping me to become a better player because I'm placing the ball much more intelligently, and varying the spin on my loops (adding sidespin on the 2nd/3rd loop; spinning the ball more/less where possible etc).

I've never seen anyone else use this blade, but I genuinely can't understand why. It's absolutely perfect for me and I'd highly recommend it for "up and coming" modern defenders.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 18:24 

Thank dunc. That is a long story hehe :rofl: . I've heard that VKMO is closer to JSH. If defence pro is close to those blade but on slower side it'll be great. Sound like Def pro might be categorized on ALL to ALL+. Did you tried def pro with H3 or some Chinese rubber ? Does the blade pair well with H3 ?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 20:50 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
dunc wrote:
In terms of rubbers, it works with a huge range - Hurricane 3 is OK with it (but without the extra speed of the JSH, you might find it a bit slow), as is Victas 401 and my current rubber Tenergy 05. I know it would work with Tenergy 80 too, and I'll be trying it with Airoc Astro in the near future.

Yeah, H3 is fine with it - as above. It "feels" right. It's just a little slow. Great over the table, but H3 on Def Pro will amplify its lack of speed away from the table.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 23:19 

Thank you. I think that enough for me because I play the spinny ball than power ball when countering.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 20:33 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
There seems to be a lot of variation in the weight of Defence Pro and that will determine its characteristics I'd guess. Mine is 100g, about as heavy as a JSH. How 'light' is yours, Dunc?

Outer plies of Defence Pro are Anigre, which are the same outer plies as Defplay, but DP is certainly a lot faster and with stiffer, more direct feel than Defplay. I didn't have a JSH yet when I tried the Defence Pro, so I can't really compare, but I surely remember DP as harder and faster than VKM.

I'm not sure, but I believe it is discontinued?

dunc wrote:

For me, it's a "mini JSH" blade. By mini I don't mean physically smaller - I mean lighter, slower, and with more control - but, most importantly, a similar feeling. It's a great looping blade (more flex than the JSH) and has good control (not quite Innershield levels, but a definite improvement over the JSH).

I've never seen anyone else use this blade, but I genuinely can't understand why. It's absolutely perfect for me and I'd highly recommend it for "up and coming" modern defenders.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 05:29 
Super User

Buttefly Defence Pro is discontinued. Where can I buy this blade?

What stifness and hardness has Defence Pro? 5/10?

What blades have a similar feeling to Buttefly Defence Pro?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 02:47 
Super User

tibhar stratus power def ''has'' similar feeling to def pro
.......and butterfly hadrawshield def may be...

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 05:17 
Super User

tibhar stratus power def is very small and I think that is more slow than Defence Pro.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 05:34 
Super User

scdit46 wrote:
tibhar stratus power def is very small and I think that is more slow than Defence Pro.

Head size of Stratus Power def is a bit smaller than Def Pro's...and as it is still bigger than all of the offensive blade head sizes.
Slower than Def Pro?.....no.....
...and...sure not faster..
..just a substitute...for some people....
I'd definitely go with Stratus if ...

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 20:42 
Super User

Is Andro Wakoniwami Midori a substitute for Butterfly Defence Pro?

The outler layer of both blades is anigre wood.

And Butterfly Hadrawshield?