OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 05:45 
Super User

Hi guys,

I've been looking at buying an ALC blade. Viscaria, timo boll alc, timo boll spirit etc etc.

Which alc blade has the most control? I know they are all similar but I want to know which would be the best choice as a first alc blade?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 06:07 

And which have more feeling?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 09:49 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been looking at buying an ALC blade. Viscaria, timo boll alc, timo boll spirit etc etc.

Which alc blade has the most control? I know they are all similar but I want to know which would be the best choice as a first alc blade?

I have only used the TB ALC and the TBS. Haven't used the Viscaria. I would have thought that Viscaria would have a tiny bit more control since it's supposedly a tiny bit slower.
Viscaria only comes in Flared which if you are into Straight handles wouldn't suit.
Teesport list the Zhang Jike ALC as having the most control - no idea why.
Weight wise the TB ALC is around 85 grams which for some is too light but it's more suitable for heavier rubbers.
TBS tends to be 90 grams and is a good buy since it's priced relatively well.
Guess that the Viscaria would be in the 90-93 gram range which for some might be too heavy.
If I had to buy one ALC probably opt for the ZJK. Feedback on it seems good but I really haven't used it. Of the one's that I helped my club teammates buy were 87 grams.
I don't think any of the above blades would suit LP.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 03:13 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
So, are you going to Double Inverted?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 09:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have used and owned them all. Actually multiples of all of them.

A slower and cheaper ALC blade is the Donic Baum Espirit. To the extent that slower means more control this could fit. Nice blade, deserves more attention.

Innerforce ALC from Butterfly is slower than their classical ones (TBS, TB-ALC, Visc).

Among the classical ones I would say buy them based on which handle is more comfortable for you, because that difference is larger than anything else. By the way, that is not insignificant, it matters a lot for how you play.

Viscarias always used to be in the 88-93 gram range, nowadays they are a lot lighter (I don't like it). Not unusual to find them in the 82-85 gram range now.

Another excellent blade but overpriced option is the ZJK-ALC. CLose to Viscaria, I am using it at the moment because it comes with a ST handle.

Edit added. There is the Maze too.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 13:23 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
One of my team mates has Baum Esprit and its a really nice ALC Blade, and as Baal says deserves more attention and is very underrated... I mean local its roughly AUD$60. The Baum does have a really nice feel, nice and crisp. Its also not as quick as my Viscaria. I have also used the TBALC and currently have a Viscaria. I didnt like the TBALC as it felt harder then then other two when I was playing with it, could have been down to it being the first ALC blade I'd used before moving to the Viscaria. The Viscaria I have feels soft yet direct, mine is 85g so its not as quick as the heavier ones. I like it and would move back to it if the handle was straight as I don't like flared handles.

The M.Maze ALC is meant to be softer then the Viscaria as its got a Limber top ply and the Viscaria Koto, like the TimoBoll ALC. I would like to get the Maze myself as it comes in a straight handle and I like the Viscaria quite a lot apart from its handle. That said I dont want to pay for the BTY blade so will likely move to the Baum Esprit from Donic in ST.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 17:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I don`t think these will be good for chopping,but if your hell bent on getting something look for one with the carbon deep under the other plies to give it a chance with the pips,my ideal would be a Defplay Senso with carbon just on the f/hand side

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 16:14 

I have tried the Timo boll, viscaria and the new Zhang Jike ALC blades. All the 3 blades are roughly 90gms in weight. I do not like blades that weigh less than this. The Zhang Jike blade outshines all of them in speed, feel, control and blade balance. It plays extremely well with T05 and H3 rubbers. However please note that the Timo boll and Viscaria blades were brought online, while the Zhang Jike blade I got directly from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 01:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I know it doesn't answer your question but ZLF is slower also. I really like my TB ZLF. I also have a TB ALC and it was too fast for me and still is a year later.