OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hurricane Wang Liqin
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 21:02 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
There's a player and to the best of my knowledge is reputed to have been one of our best ever players who comes up the club on a regular basis. He has new career as a physiotherapist - life after pro TT - but still keeps his hand in the game - plays hard-bat competition and get the impression that he's now playing in one of the lower German divisions which supposedly still uses the old ball. He also spends a little time with coaching the coaches but doesn't do any coaching himself unless maybe at a training camp.

Anyway I've always being curious on his setup and would ask him what is he using now ?
I would on occasion ask him to try out a blade or a ball that I'm using. I once lent him a Butterfly ZLC with T05s and he wouldn't give it back - playing with it most of the evening - rubbers definitely came to their end of their life afterwards and needed replacing :)
His current setup is a Hurricane Wang Liqin - what I first asked him I couldn't find it on the web so I asked him to write it down and still can't really find any information on it. :^)

Previously he was using a Nittaku Violin (found the handle too small) then a Tibhar (don't know which one) now this HWL but finds the flared handle doesn't suit (got it off a friend in Germany & is giving it back to him) and is now looking at getting a slower BTY carbon blade. Suggested that he look at a ZLF.

Had a play with his HWL setup - shod with MX-P on the FH and a T05 on the BH. Feedback I gave was that it was a little bendy coming from the SZLC. Surprised how hard the MX-P felt compared to the T05. Setup was surprising easy to use but lacked the precision of the SZLC. Felt like a looping blade when I was expecting a OFF++ which seems to be the rating of most of the Hurricane series.

I've never really dipped into the DHS blades. When I was in HK earlier on this year I did have a quick look at one or 2 of the high end Hurricane blades but they all seemed silly money. It's one thing trying to off load a high end BTY blade but a different matter with a DHS blade costing nearly $200. It's easy to confuse them with a Yinhe V series which are as cheap as chips since the distinction between a DHS and a Yinhe/Galaxy can get blurred given that they fall into the Chinese / Asia category.

Not many youtubes out there of him playing but here's one that is recent enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1duFGJ-WA

Imagine in his prime when he was at the top of his game he played more brilliantly. Darius would be no stranger to coming over to us & had forgotten that he was a leftie.

Would appreciate any information on the DHS blade that he's using and is it only available in a Flared ?

p.s. If anyone is interested in a little more about him I could always ask if he's open to having a 'chat' with OOAK.

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Wang Liqin
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 22:30 
Super User

I believed mine was koto (at least something other than limba) though some say it's limba. I don't know if it still is. My shakehand was 93g. I agree that it's flexy for someone who hits hard. I remember it fondly because the very first time I discovered that I could hit as hard as I can and still land the ball, it was H2 on a H-WL.

It's made in cpen too but I don't see a straight (in Google Images).

In terms of pitch/tone of the bare blade here's where mine landed, if you're interested:
Mazunov 6.75 > Clipper 6.8 >= PG7 6.57 = YEO 5.85 = P500 6.0 > PG3 6.2 >
H-WL 6.15
>= PG2 6.2 > HHao 5.65 >= Sweden Extra 5.85 = YE 5.75

So, if it's between YEO and YE (closer to YEO) then it should be a good versatile blade.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 22:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I know the blade quite well too, as we have them in the shop, although we've not been able to get them lately. It's not one of their more expensive ones like the Hurricane King and the quality is quite decent. I've had a brief hit with it, and it does feel fast to me, and it does indeed have some flex, as I'd also call it a looper's blade. Their rating of OFF+++ is DHS's highest speed, and equivalent to OFF+.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 11:17 
Super User

Here are a few pics of the setup - noticed that the red T05 was changed - probably put on another blade.

Looking at the DHS blade listing - which one would it equate to and what's the price bracket that it's in ?
http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/blades

Attachments:
20160113_104717.jpg
20160113_104717.jpg [ 65.22 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]
20160113_104701.jpg
20160113_104701.jpg [ 66.29 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 15:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Based on the photo of the blade it's DHS Hurricane King (the first, now they have HK2 and HK3).
5 ply all wood, loopers blade, flexible, very good control, speed in the off range. different blade altogether with H-WL which was mentioned above which was wrongly mentioned because of your earlier misnaming the blade. H-WL is stiffer, harder, and faster than the HK.

HK (1) seems to only available in flared handle. might be straight ones but very limited and not in production any more afaik.

I played with HK for a long time before putting it to its retirement. Just dug it up and play with it again for the last two weeks.

H-WL was my first blade when starting to play seriously. All this talk about H-WL makes me reminisce and wanting to dig it up again from the old box. I'll be playing with H-WL this next Sunday! :D

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 05:40 
Super User

Thanks for response rokphish2 !
I get on to the current custodian of the blade and he mentioned Wang Liqin based on the picture on the handle - so it would appear that he's mistaken when in fact it's a Hurricane King Version I.

rokphish2 wrote:
Based on the photo of the blade it's DHS Hurricane King (the first, now they have HK2 and HK3).
5 ply all wood, loopers blade, flexible, very good control, speed in the off range. different blade altogether with H-WL which was mentioned above which was wrongly mentioned because of your earlier misnaming the blade. H-WL is stiffer, harder, and faster than the HK.

HK (1) seems to only available in flared handle. might be straight ones but very limited and not in production any more afaik.

I played with HK for a long time before putting it to its retirement. Just dug it up and play with it again for the last two weeks.

H-WL was my first blade when starting to play seriously. All this talk about H-WL makes me reminisce and wanting to dig it up again from the old box. I'll be playing with H-WL this next Sunday! :D

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 23:59 

can someone who has experience using Hurricane King 2(655) and Hurricane king 3 with inverted rubbers compare between these two blades in terms of speed,spin & feel/control ?

I know the construction difference-HK2 has 5 ply all wood while HK3 is 7 ply,the same wood veneers+2 fibreglass-carbon layers under the second wood ply..

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 00:51 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

HK3 is faster, stiffer than HK2
HK2 has more feel as the glass-carbon dampened the feel a bit on the HK3
HK2 has more control, though HK3 is not bad (better vs good)

hope this helps a bit

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 08:54 

yes it helps,thank you,rokphish2.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 02:31 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Fu Yu from Portugal plays Traditional C-pen with Hurricane King but I dunno which version.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 04:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting. Had a look on AliExpress. Searching for "Hurricane Wang" didn't work, a bunch of Wang Hao blades came up.. :lol: Specifying Wang Liqin brought up FOUR different blades, but none from Eacheng:

1) "Original Wang Liqin" - this seems to be the one described in the post. It's got a picture on the side of the handle. $233.68 (premade).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-Ori ... 32559.html

Ironically, the only one I found is a pre-made. Hurricane 3 and Hurricane 2 rubbers. Come to think of it.. might be the same as the second item (below). Comes with a nice case and two (orange, celluloid 3 star) balls. If it's the same blade as the King 1, $80 is a bunch to pay for two sheets of Hurricane and a case. Anyone know what all the pockets and straps in the case are for??

2) Hurricane King 1 (comes in a Wang Liqin box). 5 ply all wood, might or might not have a photo on the side of the handle, they don't show that side.. :lol: $152.88.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-Ori ... 77094.html

3) Hurricane King 2. All wood, 6 ply. The "swoosh" in the handle is 2 colored. To be honest, I can't see the six plies. The photo's inset into the butt end (just like the Hurricane Long 5 blades, but he doesn't have his mouth open.. :lol: ). $169.78.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-Ori ... 04619.html

4) Hurricane King 3. Carbon-glass 5 ply wood. Same handle comments as the Hurricane King 2. $175.88.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-Ori ... 76007.html

All rated OFF++ on the face (except for the premade, which you can't see because the rubber covers it).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 04:51 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
This is quite an old thread, but..

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dhs-hurricane-wl

Also available on Paddle Palace. Reviews on TTDB.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 11:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Gee.. that's only a third of the price, too. Wonder if this is the same blade as the King 1. Lesson: Not everything Chinese is cheaper on AliExpress compared to TT11... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 17:27 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

The yellow one Hurricane Wang Liqin (H-WL) is not in the high class "Hurricane Series".

Hurricane King 1 and 2 both 5 ply all wood blades.