OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 11:02 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Hi All,

Is there a difference in terms of balance or other features between a penhold handle blade and a conic shakehand version? I'm thinking specifically of the Stiga Clipper Classic and WRB.

I've been twiddling more and feel a longer handle would be easier for this. My instinct tells me there can be no real difference except the handle length and the weight. But why then do most penholders usually only use penhold paddles when there are more shakehand options. For example, I know a penholder coach who recommends for shake handers a Timo Boll blade (not available with penholder handle) but for penholders a DHS (even though he told me he doesn't like the brand).

So conic shakehand or is the penhold version better for penholders?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 16:15 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I would think you would be better off with proper penhold blades if you play penholder style.
Due to different in balance, weight, and dimension of the penhold vs shakehand blade. Shakehand would be longer in dimension and also heavier. The point of balance would also be different. The extra length at the handle wouldn't be an advantage for twiddling either. Every now and then you would see irregular players who would use shakehand blade with penholder style but they are very few.

I met a few penholders who twiddle during play but they do it not to frequently during play, certainly not as much as shakehanders who twiddle. I lost playing with one of them. So, it's doable and effective too, comes with practice though.

You can try with friend's st/co blade instead of buying just to experimenting.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 00:02 

Hi This is my first post here but I've been playing penhold for past 2-3 years after a 6 year break I believe u should use penhold blade for the below reasons:

1- the blade face for a penhold is slightly bigger than a shakehand blade.

2- The overall weight of a penhold blade is lighter than shakehand blade. I have a Hurricane Hao 2 Cpen which is 83g and also a shakehand version which is 89g.

3- For the style of a penholder (blade handle pointing towards the ceiling blade face to the floor) the weight is proportioned better than a shakehand blade due to the smaller handle bigger blade face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 11:05 
Cho Tokusen

Penholders should stick to penhold blades, because it has been studied and developed for many years specifically for penhold use.