OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 04:41 

Hi everyone, can I get some advice and direction on blade selection and rubbers? I'm a novice, but a quick learner, 2-3 hours daily, and felt like I've outgrown our office Killerspin lower premade rackets. When I started using my club's loaners, it was a huge difference, and felt my abilities greatly increased. I need to get my own racket now.

Style: attacking, shakehand
Budget: prefer around $125USD, can spend a little more for performance/price ratio

most likely will order from PaddlePalace

I'm looking mostly at allround category rackets, reason is control is more important than speed at this stage. I can generate speed with my mechanics and physiology to help offset some of the OFF racket advantage I'm reasoning.

Mostly name recognition $50-$75, but open to others:

Butterfly
Korbel
Primorac - wood
Timo Boll Allround

Stiga
Allround Evolution
Allround Classic Carbon
Clipper Classic

Cornilleau
Gatien Crown ALL+ (curious about this one)

Yasaka
Ma Lin Soft Carbon

DHS
PG7
PG8

RUBBER

My head spins at all the selections and completely lost. Help! I was told I loop a lot and heavy top spin shots.

What is this cheap "Chinese rubber" I've seen mentioned that provides very good price to high performance? There has to be a downside right? Product name?

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 15:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi ZeroZero!

At your advancing level, you might want to go with a medium speed paddle that has high spin.

Perhaps an ALL or ALL+ blade and a grippy rubber that's not rated as "crazy fast"

The blades you listed are good medium speed blades. There is many opinions, but most opinions by experienced players have similarities!

About rubbers, when Paddle Palace lists rubbers, experience reveals which rubbers are OLDER designs. For Example, Juic 999 Turbo is at least 10 years old in design, maybe 15. So when it is noted as being FAST, it's not as fast as the fastest recent rubbers. This is why I would recommend Juic 999 Turbo. It has been used a lot by haggisv, the forum moderator. It's crazy spinny, but not crazy fast.

Donic Baracuda has MAXIMUM spin, but it's not too fast. I've heard MANY comments about this rubber's spin.

For Chinese rubbers, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo is a great choice, it's very spinny but not as fast as the new Hurricane 8. Hurricane 3 Neo is the Chinese rubber with good performance and a good price.

Also, rubbers in 1.7mm or 1.9mm are a bit slower than rubbers in MAX (2.4mm) thickness.

A player who has developed over a longer time than you have is usually suited to the super fast rubbers.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 19:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

http://www.killerspin.com/paddles/svr-c ... eamer.html

Stay with Killerspin, man... they do make some "pro level" stuff, check out the comments.. :lol:

Naah.. get a N11.. :lol: Only 11 bucks, including shipping. Rubber? Any Chinese sheets 10 bucks or below would work... No need to spend more than $30...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 00:25 

Thanks Glennholder. That's the type of info I was wondering about regarding the info on rubbers you mentioned. If I saw something that said "turbo" I would've immediately skipped it. I'll look into those that you mentioned.

Leaning on that H3 Neo and at around the ~$20 range, that's perfect.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 01:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
And, 90% of all "write ups" on rubber on websites that sell rubber are absolutely ridiculous. They have bad English, exaggerations, and inaccurate statements. The guys on this forum will give opinions based on experience with almost any rubber. Heck, I've tried about 50 kinds myself!

I believe that DHS Hurricane 3 Neo is the world's best selling rubber at the club level. The first 3 hours of this rubber it feels a bit slower than it really is. It comes ALIVE after this brief break in period. It might be a bit fast for you at the 3 hour point, but you will soon get used to it. It is not as fast as most Tenergy rubbers, but like Midas Muffler used to say "First You Get Good, Then You Get Fast!"

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!