OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 14:42 

Blade: NONE
FH: NONE
BH: NONE
Hey all,

I am trying to get back into TT after a 20 year absence. I played 3X per week, sometimes 4 while in my last 2 years of college. I loved playing, but was never really THAT good. I could more than hold my own though in our city and surrounding areas.

Back then the Paddle Palace catalog had maybe 50 blades or so, give or take and about the same in different types of rubber sheets. I just got my new catalog and boy the choices are incredible. Page after page after page of blades and then different rubber sheets. It used to be relatively simple to pick out a blade and then get some rubber for it, now, no way. This is going to take some time and advice from others before I settle on one. I think the best way for me to go is an ALL or ALL+ blade and rubber to compliment that style. My last setup was a STIGA Alser Carbon shakehand blade with Butterfly Tackiness Chop on the backhand and Butterfly Sriver on the forehand. I wanted to try MarkV and Scramble on the forehand, but never did.

Now I think it is better for me to concentrate on control than speed. I think the ALL or ALL+ gives me that proper balance. I will also likely get a defensive setup after I get playing. I was always curious about Long PIPS rubber and I think I'll try it on the backhand side on a DEF blade when I get playing for a bit.

If you wouldn't mind giving me some advice, I'd like to know what you think would be the best choices for me to start out with? Do you think my choices for a blade style is proper in my circumstances? Is there very much difference in an ALL+ and an OFF- blade?

What blades do you suggest I look at? I prefer ANAtomic style handles though and would take a FLared if an ANA wasn't available in a particular style that I was really wanting to get.
Also, please give me some help on what rubber sheets to consider. I know absolutely nothing right now, well very little. I need all the help and advice I can get.

I am in the Houston, Texas area and I have found 2 good sized TT clubs here that are about a 40 minute drive for me. If you too are in this area, I'd like to know what you think of the 2 clubs and if there are others that I am missing that might be closer to my area in NW Houston.

Sorry for all the questions. I have a lot of needs right now though. I won't be so inquisitive in the future...I promise.

Thank you all for your time and any help you can give me.

MUHerd

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 16:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Would be a really good choice to buy a good ALL or ALL+ blade and stick some Mark V on it. If wanting to save a bit of cash, just put some LKT Pro XP on and upgrade in a year or so.

I've tried a few All Round blades and currently use the Donic Appelgren Allplay V1 Senso with AN handle. This has a nice soft feel and great control. Handles are an individual thing but I really like the feel of this one.

Also I own the Yasaka Extra AN (now called Yasaka Sweden Extra) and the feel is bit more crisp with the handle not sitting quite as nice for me.

The other Euro blade I've owned is the Stiga Allround Evolution. Again a nice soft feel and I was happy with it but the ST handle I had just felt marginally too big for me. I sold it but now am on the lookout for the same in AN.

I also own the Chinese Galaxy N11 which despite being ALL rated, its perhaps a bit stiffer, quicker and feels a bit crisper. Nice FL handle though. Another Chinese blade I've used is the Palio B11. Didn't notice it especially fast or soft, nothing special about it.

From my experience, the Euro ALL blades tend to be a bit slower and feel softer than the Chinese. Donic Waldner Allplay is another good one I've used and although I didn't notice any different in how it played to the Applegren, it did feel a little different but was neither good or bad. I've not used a Stiga Allround Classic but from all the reviews it just has to be good. The Xiom Allround S is another I'd like to try along with the Yasaka Sweden Classic.

You could also try the Donic Exclusive series if you want to save a little. They play well enough but for the sake of saving $5 I'd say stick the standard Allplays. The Exclusives are made in China and I think if you are going for a 'Swedish' blade made in China you might as well get an N11 and save $25.

Andro ALL blades seem to be a bit gimmicky with different plies but thats not to say they are not good but generally 5 ply wood is the sign of a classic ALL blade. My mate uses the Andro Temper Tech and loves it. He's at the top of our club.

Personally I think you'll find that an ALL / ALL+ will have plenty of speed for you and is the right way to start out. You can put faster rubbers on later if you wish or even upgrade your blade if you really do need more speed.

All the best, make sure you report back.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 16:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
MUHerd wrote:
Hey all,

I am trying to get back into TT after a 20 year absence. I played 3X per week, sometimes 4 while in my last 2 years of college. I loved playing, but was never really THAT good. I could more than hold my own though in our city and surrounding areas.

Back then the Paddle Palace catalog had maybe 50 blades or so, give or take and about the same in different types of rubber sheets. I just got my new catalog and boy the choices are incredible. Page after page after page of blades and then different rubber sheets. It used to be relatively simple to pick out a blade and then get some rubber for it, now, no way. This is going to take some time and advice from others before I settle on one. I think the best way for me to go is an ALL or ALL+ blade and rubber to compliment that style. My last setup was a STIGA Alser Carbon shakehand blade with Butterfly Tackiness Chop on the backhand and Butterfly Sriver on the forehand. I wanted to try MarkV and Scramble on the forehand, but never did.

Now I think it is better for me to concentrate on control than speed. I think the ALL or ALL+ gives me that proper balance. I will also likely get a defensive setup after I get playing. I was always curious about Long PIPS rubber and I think I'll try it on the backhand side on a DEF blade when I get playing for a bit.

If you wouldn't mind giving me some advice, I'd like to know what you think would be the best choices for me to start out with? Do you think my choices for a blade style is proper in my circumstances? Is there very much difference in an ALL+ and an OFF- blade?

What blades do you suggest I look at? I prefer ANAtomic style handles though and would take a FLared if an ANA wasn't available in a particular style that I was really wanting to get.
Also, please give me some help on what rubber sheets to consider. I know absolutely nothing right now, well very little. I need all the help and advice I can get.

I am in the Houston, Texas area and I have found 2 good sized TT clubs here that are about a 40 minute drive for me. If you too are in this area, I'd like to know what you think of the 2 clubs and if there are others that I am missing that might be closer to my area in NW Houston.

Sorry for all the questions. I have a lot of needs right now though. I won't be so inquisitive in the future...I promise.

Thank you all for your time and any help you can give me.

MUHerd

i have a couple of cheap butterfly grubba blades.
they often come on e bay and you can buy second hand-they are easy to resell if you dont like.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 21:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've tried a number of blades and keep coming back to yhe Yinhe N11. Yes, it's somewhat faster than the Stiga Allround Classic, but for me that's about right. Since you can get one for $10.40 this week including shipping on ebay, there is no reason not to try one.

I did find something slower that I'm trying out at the moment - it's got rather pleasant vibrations and reminds me very much of the Stiga Allround Classic -the Sanwei M8. Only $7.50 including shipping!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 23:03 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

iskandar taib wrote:
I've tried a number of blades and keep coming back to yhe Yinhe N11. Yes, it's somewhat faster than the Stiga Allround Classic, but for me that's about right. Since you can get one for $10.40 this week including shipping on ebay, there is no reason not to try one.

I did find something slower that I'm trying out at the moment - it's got rather pleasant vibrations and reminds me very much of the Stiga Allround Classic -the Sanwei M8. Only $7.50 including shipping!

Iskandar

The Sanwei M8 was something I had my eye on at one stage but comments of the thin handle put me off. How do you find it Iskandar?

My view is that most people in our club would be fine with a Chinese blade, they really aren't that bad, quite good actually. The problem is you will get much more variance of speed between bats of the same model than the European blades that have good quality control. having said that, if one is slightly fast than the next one, you will adapt anyway.

Its rare to actually find a slow chinese blade as they are normally all a bit faster than they rate. The notable good ALL ones are: -
Galaxy N11, 896, W6
LKT Instinct

Sometimes its also the placebo of a good quality European blade that stops you wondering whether its you or the bat causing the errors (I guarentee its you) but if you have the good gear it can fill you with confidence and can instantly stop you looking at a varieties of equipment, trying to find that perfect bat. Some people get caught on a never ending quest to find something that improves their game so a good quality bat from the start and remove all the noise around this.

Shipping times can also be a drag when ordering from China with something arriving after about 8 weeks one time I ordered for a friend. The season was over before he got his bat.

Having said that, get yourself one of those above, whack some chinese rubber on it and you'll have a great set up that will allow you to develop and then decide in a year or two if you want to upgrade.

If you can afford it though, I'd pay the extra $20- $25............just in case ;)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 23:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

the classic is a good price-ill keep an eye on that one -
have you tried the grubba all plus ??

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 23:12 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Interesting story bout sanwei m8, so one day my friend asked me where i he can buy a good setup blade, and i introduced him to a merchant/fren who test setups often and sell them after (he got wicked setups not to mention a few weird ones, and he'll like casually will pick one for your price budget easily in his head.)

I was pining on my fren to get the pg 7 (secretly wanting to test them out for my sake ahaha) but in the end he said he gravitates more towards the m8 and got them instead, i think the rubbers on them were nittaku zalt and if im not mistaken sanwei target national?

I cringed at first when i saw the handle as im not accommodated on seeing that brand, but the second i wield it , i was like huh ? maybe its way easier to control this than pg7 anyways, so kudos on him.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 03:06 

Hello. Is there an analogue of Air Touch01 (sale on colestt.com) or the same blade under a different name, which can be bought on aliexpress?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 04:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The ALL+/OFF- categories are not that clear cut. There's some overlap, same with OFF-/OFF. If you want a control blade then it won't hurt to get a straight up ALL blade. I use the Yasaka Sweden Classic, the slower version of the Sweden Extra that Cobalt mentioned. It comes in Anatomic and costs $27 at tabletennis11.com. Or many people like the Donic Appelgren Allplay, also ALL rated, comes in Anatomic, and $27 at tt11. You can play to pretty much any level with either of those blades. And if you decide to change (I don't think upgrade is the right word) later, $27 is not a huge commitment.

For an inverted rubber I would suggest any of the older generation spinny inverted rubbers like Donic baracuda, Andro hexer, or Xiom Vega europe. Vega europe is $32 (tt11) and the others a few dollars more, and it would be fine for you. I don't agree with the generic forum recommendation to begin with Mark V or Sriver. It will not teach you to use proper technique to create spin, imo, you will just develop a relatively no-spin game, and have to relearn everything later when you switch to a modern rubber. Re-learning everything later sucks, so I encourage you to avoid it at all costs.

I have never tried any of the inexpensive Chinese blades so I have no opinion on them. They may be great. Not a lot of US players seem to use them, but that may be more out of ignorance than anything else. At $27 I'm not looking for a cheaper blade than the YSC.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 21:59 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

You still using Sweden Classic BRS even reaching 2,000? That really days something about the need for 'fast' equipment.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 22:17 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
My favorite all blades are the Donic Waldner Senso, the Korbel, the grubba, and the Stiga Allround. You can't go wrong with any of these, and they won't break the bank. There are cheaper options of course, but these aren't that expensive and the consistency between different paddles is better than cheaper alternatives. So, if you break a paddle, it's more likely that when you buy a new one it will play the same or close.

I find with cheaper Chinese stuff, while often just as good, when I get a second paddle there are wild variations in how they play. Not always of course, but often. As such, I've resorted to just spending a few extra bucks for consistency between paddles.

I've never tried the paddles BRS mentioned, but I've heard nothing but good things and I would bet they play very similar to the ones I mentioned. Also, all things being equal, I'd prefer to spread the money to companies other than Butterfly ;)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 01:15 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Donic Appelgren and Yasaka Sweden Classic are typical All-Round blades. Well known, well tested and well balanced.

Chinese Yinhe N-11 and also try N-9 ! 729 blades W-6 and try C-3 !

I wouldn't recommend DHS at all for a beginner.

If you can afford to spend more, you could try Butterfly Jonyer H-II or Primorac ( NOT the carbon). TSP SWAT or Reflex Award some All-Round blades are there I think. Not sure about Nittaku. Stiga blades have the WRB which I don't think is a good system. But All-Round Classic is a very good All-Round blade!

Classic Rubber either MarkV ( HPS or GPS version ) or Sriver EL should work well.

Modern Rubber try the Xiom Vega Intro ? Nittaku Ventus Basic ? Yasaka Valmo ?

And please return with your results here so we can benefit from your experience :-) :up:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 01:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Cobalt wrote:
You still using Sweden Classic BRS even reaching 2,000? That really days something about the need for 'fast' equipment.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

I'd put it the other way round, that because I'm still using the YSC is the reason I moved up a level. Plus Brett made me promise to never change blades again.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 02:02 
Super User

İmperial Wilfried Lieck

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 17:57 

Blade: Viscaria FL
FH: BlueStar A2, black max
BH: Bluestorm Pro, red max
I really like the Galaxy W-6 blade. I find it offers great quality for a decent price. However, if you're looking for something much cheaper, you could get a Sanwei M8 which also plays well.