OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 18:55 

Blade: Darker 7P-2A
FH: Bluefire M2 MAX
BH: CK531A 0.6
Hey guys,

The organizer of the club I'm playing at is a PH medium pips (563 OX) blocker and occasional hitter, I've played with him on/off for the past 5 years but he recently got me interested in trying some pips on BH again.

Some background, before I stopped playing 2 years ago I was somewhere in the 2000-2100 range, probably 1900-2000 at the moment coming back and playing the past couple weeks. Good serves with 3rd ball attack on FH, and quick off the bounce blocks down the two lines on BH, with occasional BH openers and flips. Inverted both sides (T05 2.1 FH, Acuda S2 2.0 BH). I have a lot of fun when people misread and give me 'freebies' on my serves, which is quite a few points in most matches (more below)... especially when they get frustrated LOL

My main reasons for trying MP (and LP next) on BH is 1. for fun, 2. make people frustrated (which is fun), and 3. I don't loop much on bh anyway so I figure a MP/LP on bh would do what I'm used to doing (quick blocks), while allowing me to do some other things, such as easier pace change, and reversal and/or wobbly knuckle balls, potentially giving me more openings for the FH. I prefer shorter exchanges (3-7 hits).

I'm using a Stiga V-1 Carbon right now, and I glued a sheet of 563 OX on my BH which I quite like, although I feel that (on my limited time), although it feels a bit too hard/stiff on the BH. Of course, this could simply be due to my not being used to pips. When I tried the 563 OX on my friend's wood blade it did feel easier to manage, especially when the other guy is driving the ball hard. I don't know what blade it is though, I think it's a really old DHS blade.

I have Palio CK531A OX on order, so I will try that out next after I get more playing time with the 563, so I can decide which to continue pursuing, or just give up and go back to inverted both sides (a little boring...).

Away from table chopping will be something I will practice regardless of setup, I don't see myself using that unless absolutely out of position for other techniques, but who knows?

All that being said, I want to see what kind of blades you guys would recommend for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Based on my forum gatherings, a couple blades seem quite interesting and might fit the bill:

Clipper wood oversize WRB
Joo Se Hyuk (not so good for close to the table, more for chopping?)
Matsushita Pro Special (out of production... anything close?)
Victas Koji Matsushita (slow?)
Victas Koji Matsushita Pro

What other blades might be worth looking at?
Is an oversize (def) blade better for this than regular sized blades?
Thanks for any insights and opinions that may be offered :)

Cheers,
Thomas

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 20:05 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I've had similar thoughts but I refuse to use an ox-MLP, therefore I continued with a stiff and fast blade. So why not just an MLP with +-1.8-2mm on the very blade you already have?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 20:18 

Why do you refuse to use them?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 20:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Pimple effect is most striking with a fast blade. Anything OX is going to feel brittle compared to what you're currently used to. Sure, a softer, slower blade will give you more feeling, but I think it'd be better either to get used to the feel of no sponge on your current blade, or try something with a little sponge, say 0.5-0.8mm.

Of the blades you mention the clipper is really a hitting blade. Great for SP backhand attack.

Oversize is great if you intend to defend but the large head can slow you down in attack.

If you want to attack with the BH I think you need either a bit of sponge on the LP or to go with the MP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 20:48 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
7homuz wrote:
Why do you refuse to use them?

Dwell time. I keep using flips, flicks and (at reduced spin) drives with the BH, and I am twiddling, therefore I appreciate to have a similar feel on both sides. I am not going to chop regularly, while appleing around is still one of my bad habits...

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 12:07 

Thanks guys! Will continue playing with my current setup and see how it goes :)