OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 17:22 

Blade: Stiga Intensity
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Skyline 3 Neo
Hi all, my first post here, though I've been lurking around for a while. :P

I hope you can help me out here with your experience in these matters.

I just bought an Eternity VPS V online, and it came with parts of the edge splintered. Aside from one tiny area, I don't see any more lifting anywhere else along the blade.

Attachment:
IMG_9326a.jpg
IMG_9326a.jpg [ 797.04 KiB | Viewed 1240 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_9330a.jpg
IMG_9330a.jpg [ 921.09 KiB | Viewed 1240 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_9331a.jpg
IMG_9331a.jpg [ 770.6 KiB | Viewed 1240 times ]

I would think that it should be safe enough to use wood filler to fill the gaps, sand flat and perhaps the seal the sides at the very least and the blade should still be good to go. Am I wrong in thinking this? Or is there something else that I missed?

For anyone wondering why I'm not returning the blade (I did inform them of it though):
I expect it to drag out for another month or two and I don't have the patience to deal with that. No scrubs man.
They said it must have been damaged during shipping, which shouldn't the case as the blade was packed fairly well and the box is in good condition. They offered me a $10 refund, which I thought was cute. To be fair I haven't shown them pics of the box in good condition yet. Not sure if it will end up with a proper exchange in a timely manner anyway.
For the reasons above plus I think it should not affect the lifespan and performance of the blade, so I dont wanna go chasing waterfalls...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 23:14 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
"iknowpeanuts" What a cheek they've offered you $10.00. :n: There is no way I would except the blade, you say it was packaged well but still damaged. :?: You would think it would had to have been damaged before its journey started. |(

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 00:15 
Super User

Well if I bought a blade and it showed up that way, I'd probably look to return it.

However, since you are not, let me tell you a blade can get tiny chips like that from years of play. Maybe hitting the table. maybe from cutting your rubbers.

They're really meaningless & don't effect play. I wouldn't mess with wood filler. You have to put it in and then sand it down. think you'd just be wasting your time and your reconditioned area would be bigger than what you have right now.

Just pull off any chips that are hanging by a thread by rubbing it with your fingers a few times. Then put a couple of sealing coats on that blade and you're good to go.

After you glue on your rubbers and put edge tape on, you'll never think about it again.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 00:19 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Wow my heart would shatter if i bought something new and it came like that, even used i would examine it properly before buying. Felt bad for you buddy, and if it were me i would return it to them, rather than fix it myself.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 00:31 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
It must have been some rough diamond used for the veneer.

Did you get it cheaper than usual (afaik $80+-) even before the $10 rebate-offering?

If I'd gotten a blade with minor damages I'd smooth them as much as possible and then I'd put on the sealing, done.

My 15+ yrs old Graphite looks much worse near the edges..

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 11:42 

Gollum: yeah I agree. but will wait and see what develops.

Suds79: yeah I know what you mean. But the thought of having a back-and-forth isn't quite appetising. My only concern is if its still structurally sound to just patch it up — wasn't sure if these splinters were indicative of a bigger problem. I didn't know you can just fill it alone with sealer though, might give it a go.

kim biceps: I was semi-prepared for it given Stiga's unfortunate reputation. But in my haste, Iforgot to consider the return policies and all. But I guess its fine, just gotta learn as I move along.

Red: I did get it at a fairly good price yes, less than $80. So you agree as well that the chipping on the edges can be fixed on my own and shouldn't be a major issue? Haha I'd be pleased as punch if this blade can last 15+ years.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 15:32 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
It's just a scratch, a little eye-sore, nothing to worry about and you'll be unable to sense any difference in playing between yours and a perfect one.
You'll for sure add some other marks to it sooner or later.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 03:01 

Sorry for the late reply Red. i believe so too - thankfully i'm not the sort who will go apeshit if i get a knock. posted this to tap on your collective wisdom as to whether or not the chipping thing usually indicates a bigger problem down the road; like some structural flaw or something...

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 14:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So was this factory brand new, or was it a "demonstrator model"? I'm pretty sure the edge chips don't presage any problems down the road.

Iskandar