OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 10:30 

Blade: Xiom Fuga
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
So, I prefer tacky Chinese rubber on my forehand. I generally play close to the table and I like the characteristics of Hurricane 3 Neo for looping, serving, pushing, and flicking. I'm still using my original blade that I learned with (the Stiga Allround Classic). I think it's time to try out a faster blade. Preferably Off- (but OFF would be good too).

So the general consensus seems to be that H3N pairs well with flexy blades (and doesn't go well with stiff blades) (flexy blade required for more spin???). My first instinct is to go with the Infinity VPS, but is that "flexy" enough? Too much of a speed increase?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. (I don't have to stick with Stiga, lol) I'm even willing to try Hurricane 8 if that makes more sense on a faster blade. However, I do not want to use booster.

(I'm using Palio CJ8000 on backhand.)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 17:01 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Usually, when looking for more power compared to an existing setup, you should go for faster rubbers and/or thicker sponge first.

Suggestions on blades will somewhat depend on your personal preferations.
An 'Upgrade' from your actual blade could be the Donic Waldner Senso V1 (or similar, maybe Primorac Off-), apart from the obvious Offensive Classic/Allround NCT/Clipper etc. Stiga series.
If you're looking for more, or a more early, bounce (less linear) especially, one of the inexpensive China-blades may serve you well. The Galaxy T-7 should fit nicely, but you may check N-11(s) or - if available - N-9 first.
Any new blade will feel different to you and it will have an influence on your whole setup so you may test it with a 2nd set of (used) rubbers you've hold in reserve before transferring the setup.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 20:56 
I am Legend
I am Legend

BryanY wrote:
So the general consensus seems to be that H3N pairs well with flexy blades (and doesn't go well with stiff blades) (flexy blade required for more spin???).

Aren't most professional H3 users on composite carbon blades?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 21:17 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
The obvious upgrade from a Stiga All Round Classic would be to a Clipper. This will just give you more power than the classic. Personally, I'd go with Hurricane 8. Out of the packet, it feels a little softer than H3 Neo, and has no factory tuning to wear off. Like all hurricanes though, it does need a little playing-in time.

If you want to go a little further away from the Classic, consider a DHS Fang Bo 2, which is effectively the same blade as a Hurricane Long 5. However, it does have a much smaller handle than the Stiga, at least in Fl. Although this is a composite blade, it plays more like an all-wood than many other composites, and is thus easier to come to terms with than you might think.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 23:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Silver wrote:
BryanY wrote:
So the general consensus seems to be that H3N pairs well with flexy blades (and doesn't go well with stiff blades) (flexy blade required for more spin???).

I thought most of the top Chinese players use those all-wood blades with the ebony or rosewood face plies.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 05:13 
Super User

Aramid- or arylate-carbon feels a lot softer than usual carbon blades and a limba or hinoki outer ply adds to the soft feel.

@Darucia you've mentioned the FB2 which is still above $70 as far as I can see. What about the Friendship V-6 instead?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 07:43 

Blade: Xiom Fuga
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
darucla wrote:
If you want to go a little further away from the Classic, consider a DHS Fang Bo 2, which is effectively the same blade as a Hurricane Long 5. However, it does have a much smaller handle than the Stiga, at least in Fl. Although this is a composite blade, it plays more like an all-wood than many other composites, and is thus easier to come to terms with than you might think.

Who sells the Fang Bo 2? I don't see it for sale on t11, Eacheng, etc.. The closest blade i could find was the DHS Fang Bo Carbon. Is that similar?

Also, Red: How do you like the Combination of the Palio TCT blade with CJ8000 rubber? I'm using CJ8000 Biotech 36-38 degree on my backhand, so I'm a little curious.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 10:42 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
The Fang Bo Carbon, Hurricane Bo and Fang Bo 2 are all the same blade. Just different outlets call them different things. The box writing is all in Chinese, except the words Fang Bo, so that is no help. I bought mine from a UK shop.

@Red. Sorry, i have not tried a Friendship V6. In terms of upgrades from a Stiga All-round Classic, I am fairly confident that the Fang Bo is a good composite choice, although I still use my HL3, which has the same 7-ply construction as the Clipper, as my main blade.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 11:43 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood might be worth a look. Stiga Clipper sounds reasonable too.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 15:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Quick search on AliExpress reveals four vendors for the Bo blade:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?lt ... st=0&tc=af

This product fits the profile of something that might be counterfeited, so be careful. Check out the vendor to see if they sell other commonly counterfeited stuff (Nittaku Acoustic and Violin blades, Butterfly Viscaria, etc., Tenergy).

The only one of these I've had a look at in the past was Playa - they seem to be OK, though they do sell "custom" blades which are analogues to other blades. (I suppose you might look at these as another option aside from the Hurricane Bo 2..)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 70285.html

and they sell the dubious "National H3" and "National Seamoon".

Not sure about this vendor, though - how far can you trust something called "Burn Store"?? :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS-Hur ... 17286.html

There really do seem to be two Hurricane Bo blades - one is a carbon-arylate, the other a pure wood 7 ply.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 16:45 
Super User

@BryanY
Coming from the Stiga Graphite I consider the TCT a viable blade for me and so far it serves the purpose well. I won't call me a looper nor do I usually open the game - and when I do it's more likely to be a finishing stroke.
With the CJ8000 B-topsheet, 36-38° in 1.8mm (biotech) or 2.0mm 2-side-loop I am able to kill and loop with sharp placements, serves are still effective but quite tricky to execute with this blade compared to other blades I have or have had. I am able to counter-drive and hit from middle-court as well and it sufficiently transforms energy into the ball when using full force. I have yet to find out how different versions and thicker sponges would behave on the TCT.
I guess you need to cherrypick rubbers for the TCT, some combinations will perform extraordinary while others will behave poor.

@Darucia
The Friendship V-6 has - for as far as I've found out - limba, ayous, aramid-carbon, paulowna, aramid-carbon, ayous, limba. This should give it a soft touch and an early bounce with reserves at higher speed. It's available at less than a 3rd of the price of the FB2

Last edited by Red on 10 Apr 2017, 17:31, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 17:22 
I am Legend
I am Legend

iskandar taib wrote:
Silver wrote:
BryanY wrote:

I thought most of the top Chinese players use those all-wood blades with the ebony or rosewood face plies.

Iskandar

ok. I havent looked lately. Either way, those all wood ebony/rosewood blades aren't flexy...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 11:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

From what I understand they make them in 5 and 7 ply variants (e.g. Stiga Ebenholz NCT V and NCT VII). The five plies are based on other five ply blades (e.g. Stiga Allround Classic) and the seven plies are essentially Clippers with harder outer plies. If you buy the "flexible" bat theory the five ply ones should be as "flexible" as the ones they were based on, while the "Clippers" will be as "stiff" as Clippers supposedly are. What the hardwood outer plies do do is increase the frequency of the vibrations, which would make them feel "harder" than their soft-outer-ply equivalents.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 16:37 

Most players who have played V6 where I live say it does not pair well with H3. Personally, I only had a brief hit with it, but I tend to think the same: it is build for tensor rubbers, and has not enough flex nor top ply hardness to actually put life into H3.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 07:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

iskandar taib wrote:
From what I understand they make them in 5 and 7 ply variants (e.g. Stiga Ebenholz NCT V and NCT VII). The five plies are based on other five ply blades (e.g. Stiga Allround Classic) and the seven plies are essentially Clippers with harder outer plies. If you buy the "flexible" bat theory the five ply ones should be as "flexible" as the ones they were based on, while the "Clippers" will be as "stiff" as Clippers supposedly are. What the hardwood outer plies do do is increase the frequency of the vibrations, which would make them feel "harder" than their soft-outer-ply equivalents.

Iskandar

I had an Ebenholz V and rosewood v at some point.
Nowhere near flexy. Stiffer than a few 7plies I've used.