OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: J.O. Waldner shape??
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 14:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Didn't know these existed. But here's a review:

http://blog.tabletennis11.com/donic-wal ... bon-review

So what's the deal with the JO Waldner blade shape? I gather it's narrower (especially towards the tip) and longer than normal. Advantages? Disadvantages? Why would it suit Waldner's game?

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: J.O. Waldner shape??
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 14:36 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
iskandar taib wrote:
So what's the deal with the JO Waldner blade shape? I gather it's narrower (especially towards the tip) and longer than normal. Advantages? Disadvantages? Why would it suit Waldner's game?

My theory: Handle Heavy. Slightly faster recovery vs 'normal' shaped blades and maybe less wobble for his controlled blocking style???

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 15:27 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
There are several Waldner blades with the 'teardrop' shape including the Waldner Allplay. They tend to be a little more expensive. No idea of the benefits.

They may be a bit more handle heavy compared to their non-Waldner shape counterparts however as a general rule I don't think the whole line would be handle heavy, given that some of them are sensos which have hollow handles.

Says they are 4mm longer than the standard Waldner.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 16:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Less area overall? If so, lighter overall weight. I've seen comments that they're similar to the shape of Re-Impact blades, and those are shaped to reduce drag (narrower wingtips are used on airplane wings to reduce induced drag by reducing tip vortices, I don't know if it works at the tiny Reynolds numbers table tennis bats operate at...).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 22:25 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Waaaaaa !!!! Sonic BOOMs created by Table Tennis bats !!! You don't say !!! :lol: :rofl:

:-D Amazing FZD shot ROCKS the camera from far away !!! Xu Xin has no supporters to ROCK the camera for him :rofl: :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 23:52 

The narrower wings make the JO shape more comfortable to hold. My standard WSC is very small in size, my WSC JO shape is longer indeed, feels more balanced, and it seems a little bit faster.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 21:57 
Super User

I believe the narrower tip designs were supposed to allow you to put more spin on the loop because of some added flexibility in the tip area. That was the hype anyway.

There was an extreme long and pointed design sold at by one brand ( Seems like the Brand name started with an F) for more spin and power reason, never caught on. may have even been too long for most rubber sheets.

Pro player Varga from Hungary used a custom spade shaped Donic Appelgren with half an inch extended on the tip for more spin. I asked him about it and he was finished playing so in those speed glue days, he just pulled the rubber off as he would do after every match anyway and showed me the wood extension that had been grafted on by his blade mechanic. Not strictly legal by the "continuous" layer rules but nobody seemed to care.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 01:15 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
fleetwood999 wrote:
I believe the narrower tip designs were supposed to allow you to put more spin on the loop because of some added flexibility in the tip area. That was the hype anyway..

If that were true then it's nuts. One can achieve 'more spin' by simply increasing torque and going for a longer arm swing. Why would one choose to hit all the way up the tip where it wouldn't have the power of the sweet spot anymore?
I'd understand if it slices through air faster. Hey maybe it does by a teenie tiny degree. Who knows..

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 04:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Because... Here, I'll let Brett explain.

Actually, you'd probably have to personally face his serves to understand... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 04:34 
Super User

HuLimei wrote:
Why would one choose to hit all the way up the tip where it wouldn't have the power of the sweet spot anymore?

One wouldn't. :)
The idea of that blade profile was that the tapering shape would to add flexibility and dwell-time to the fastest traveling part of the sweetspot, which is the farthest from the handle area of the sweetspot (certainly not intended to use the actual end of the racket) That far end of the sweetspot is generally best for producing the most spin, you would not intentionally contact at the extreme tip itself, an area that gives a weak and ugly feeling shot on most any racket.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 10:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You actually do use the tip of the bat... for very spinny serves. And then you use the base of the bat to fool the other guy into thinking it's the same serve.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 18:45 

Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
Yeah the JO Shape is a bit different, the face of the blade is more like an egg, a bit longer, the handle is a bit lower and the wings are smaller. You can use your wrist much better and the top of the blade lets you create those great sidespin loops.

Btw I got a really special Waldner Senso Carbon JO Shape without the JTTAA stamp, it was made for Waldner but he ended his career and did not need it, it's in 88g, super heavy for that blade and that's the weight he always used. PM me if you're interested.