OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 12:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 02:41 
Super User

I posted on this topic before, using the spectrum analyzer in the PC software Audacity. I checked that the app suggested in the original post agrees with Audacity, and it does, but you should go into settings/input samples and increase that number to increase the resolution (I set it to max). It sometimes matters. Now that this topic has been legitimized I'll mention some interesting things (but as usual there are complicating factors).

The broad class of a blade should be identifiable even if it has rubbers mounted. For example, two blades could be compared if they're under the same rubbers (especially, the same weight of rubbers). I did this, using my favorite player's setup's tone, and determined that there's no way it is what the handle says it is. It isn't even in the same class.

Practical application: If it isn't really "Blade X" then no use looking for one of those.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 07:46 

Blade: Wang Xi
FH: Yasaka Rakza Soft
BH: Butterfly Long III
Love this table. All my wood blades are right on with the Yasaka a bit faster than the TimoBoll ALL+ as expected.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2018, 12:48 

Can someone help me look at this? Recently received Adidas C300, first peak is 1035, second more pronounced peak 1615. Which would be standard "result"?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 30.76 KiB | Viewed 74 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2018, 01:07 
Super User

The closest thing I have to that blade is a 6mm thick limba-ayous five ply.
It gives a single peak (with some noise) at about 1232Hz.
So, I guess that first peak of yours is too low to believe, and the second unexpectedly high peak must be caused by the unusually thick core ply of that blade, and I would use the second peak. Just guessing, so I would play to confirm it by feel. If so, then that thick core is probably doing its job with regard to stiffness.
[To lasta, referring to another thread: Stiffness but not hardness, as I'm sorry I already mentioned. But, by the way, before Stiga's "CR" was invented, famous players used to harden their Clippers/P700s with varnish/etc. So if you like the stiffness and weight of this blade you might ask about what kind of varnish/etc to use. The weight would increase.
And also, if you decide you like this blade a lot you would then have a model to submit to the custom blade builders, as mentioned in that other thread.]

Recently, I've always done this with rubbers mounted (and it changes with different weights of rubbers).
If you do this with rubbers mounted it will probably "clean up" your graph, but then you would have to use the same weight of rubbers or the same rubbers on other blades for comparison.