OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 02:41 
Super User

I posted on this topic before, using the spectrum analyzer in the PC software Audacity. I checked that the app suggested in the original post agrees with Audacity, and it does, but you should go into settings/input samples and increase that number to increase the resolution (I set it to max). It sometimes matters. Now that this topic has been legitimized I'll mention some interesting things (but as usual there are complicating factors).

The broad class of a blade should be identifiable even if it has rubbers mounted. For example, two blades could be compared if they're under the same rubbers (especially, the same weight of rubbers). I did this, using my favorite player's setup's tone, and determined that there's no way it is what the handle says it is. It isn't even in the same class.

Practical application: If it isn't really "Blade X" then no use looking for one of those.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 07:46 

Blade: Wang Xi
FH: Yasaka Rakza Soft
BH: Butterfly Long III
Love this table. All my wood blades are right on with the Yasaka a bit faster than the TimoBoll ALL+ as expected.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2018, 12:48 
Super User

Can someone help me look at this? Recently received Adidas C300, first peak is 1035, second more pronounced peak 1615. Which would be standard "result"?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 30.76 KiB | Viewed 2184 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2018, 01:07 
Super User

The closest thing I have to that blade is a 6mm thick limba-ayous five ply.
It gives a single peak (with some noise) at about 1232Hz.
So, I guess that first peak of yours is too low to believe, and the second unexpectedly high peak must be caused by the unusually thick core ply of that blade, and I would use the second peak. Just guessing, so I would play to confirm it by feel. If so, then that thick core is probably doing its job with regard to stiffness.
[To lasta, referring to another thread: Stiffness but not hardness, as I'm sorry I already mentioned. But, by the way, before Stiga's "CR" was invented, famous players used to harden their Clippers/P700s with varnish/etc. So if you like the stiffness and weight of this blade you might ask about what kind of varnish/etc to use. The weight would increase.
And also, if you decide you like this blade a lot you would then have a model to submit to the custom blade builders, as mentioned in that other thread.]

Recently, I've always done this with rubbers mounted (and it changes with different weights of rubbers).
If you do this with rubbers mounted it will probably "clean up" your graph, but then you would have to use the same weight of rubbers or the same rubbers on other blades for comparison.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 00:25 

hi
I had the idea of measuring the stiffness of a ttblade by the frequency of the peak of the sound produced by boucing the ball by using a smartphone years ago... I am the one in the video https://youtu.be/QKwVp_jCqa8 and i wrote the manuscript mentioned in this topic.
I am glad to see that someone found it interesting, i believe it can be useful.
Just want to say something about the speed of a ttblade, the subject of this topic... in my opinion (for my experience) it is due to the stiffness (the frequency of the peak measured) and the weight as well... both these two features contribute to the speed of a blade.
for example a stiff (high frequency) and heavy blade is certainly offensive, an elastic (low frequency) and light blade will be defensive, but we can have different combinations of these two features, so we have to consider both of them.
However stiffness and weight are both easily measurable now.
Just my opinion

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 06:42 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Nittaku Sieger 50
BH: Donic Bluegrip S2
Hi all, I have made several entries of some of my bladed with frenquency results in hz. Unfortunately the database is not updated and could not see my new entries. This database is important and useful and I wish we can always take care of it and update it since many new blades are announced recently. All the best

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 08:46 

Cobalt wrote:
Not sure if this is allowed but I just found a very interesting thread on another forum that I thought worth sharing.

It's to do with the blade tone and how this reflects in the speed. I've long been a believer in this and have previously called it the plink/donk test.

Brett Clarke has suggested using a blade that has the same time as Viscaria regardless of cost ie $5 blade is fine. This set me on a search for ways to address this and found the thread below.

The thread is saying to download a frequency analyser app, bounce the ball I the bar blade and the reading tells you the tone of the blade and therefore the speed.

The has been a spreadsheet produced with all the comparative figures from various blades.

Under 1,000 is DEF
1000 - 1,100 ALL
1,100 - 1,250 ALL+
1,250 - 1,400 OFF-
1,400 - 1,600 OFF
1,600-. OFF+

I measured one blade, Yasaka Extra and it came in at 1,184.
Interestingly Sanwei M8 came in at 1,287 sneaking into OFF- range.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... lade-speed

Here's the link to the database https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tnzuhP98Iwl3_ZYIKs770Z4GeEXB1cPaF6xXC3IMLfg/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the form to submit your own value http://goo.gl/forms/HGki3A0DqfYSXT2A3

In your example frequency seems to be the only feature that makes a blade def or off. in my opinion (just my opinion) the weight is important as well... a stiff (high frequency) and heavy blade might be offensive... a light and elastic one (low frequency) might be defensive... both these two feature have to be considered. just my opinion

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 08:49 

simonesq wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
Not sure if this is allowed but I just found a very interesting thread on another forum that I thought worth sharing.

It's to do with the blade tone and how this reflects in the speed. I've long been a believer in this and have previously called it the plink/donk test.

Brett Clarke has suggested using a blade that has the same time as Viscaria regardless of cost ie $5 blade is fine. This set me on a search for ways to address this and found the thread below.

The thread is saying to download a frequency analyser app, bounce the ball I the bar blade and the reading tells you the tone of the blade and therefore the speed.

The has been a spreadsheet produced with all the comparative figures from various blades.

Under 1,000 is DEF
1000 - 1,100 ALL
1,100 - 1,250 ALL+
1,250 - 1,400 OFF-
1,400 - 1,600 OFF
1,600-. OFF+

Here's the link to the database https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tnzuhP98Iwl3_ZYIKs770Z4GeEXB1cPaF6xXC3IMLfg/edit?usp=sharing

In your example frequency seems to be the only feature that makes a blade def or off. in my opinion (just my opinion) the weight is important as well... a stiff (high frequency) and heavy blade might be offensive... a light and elastic one (low frequency) might be defensive... both these two feature have to be considered, but we can have different combination of stiffness and weight due to the material it is made with... just my opinion,

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 08:50 

simonesq wrote:
simonesq wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Under 1,000 is DEF
1000 - 1,100 ALL
1,100 - 1,250 ALL+
1,250 - 1,400 OFF-
1,400 - 1,600 OFF
1,600-. OFF+

In your example frequency seems to be the only feature that makes a blade def or off. in my opinion (just my opinion) the weight is important as well... a stiff (high frequency) and heavy blade might be offensive... a light and elastic one (low frequency) might be defensive... both these two features have to be considered, but we can have different combination of stiffness and weight due to the material it is made with... just my opinion,

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 02:45 

stiffness is not the only feature that will tell you the speed of a blade... the weight of the blade has to be considered as well... if a blade is stiff and heavy it will be certainly offensive.... thrust me

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 13:17 

simonesq wrote:
stiffness is not the only feature that will tell you the speed of a blade... the weight of the blade has to be considered as well... if a blade is stiff and heavy it will be certainly offensive.... thrust me

https://revspin.net/blade/butterfly-joo-se-hyuk.html

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 19:28 

sk123 wrote:
simonesq wrote:

obviously the feature of racket depends also on the kind of rubbers fixed on... but a stiff blade (for example over 1400 Hz) and heavy as well (for example over 90 g) might be offensive regardless of the kind of rubbers

Last edited by simonesq on 07 Feb 2023, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 19:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dropping ball test known for ages for the racket classification.

Be happy.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 19:48 

igorponger wrote:
Dropping ball test known for ages for the racket classification.

Be happy.

that test work for sure on a racket, not on a naked blade

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 16:21 

sk123 wrote:
simonesq wrote:

You cite a revspin link but have you ever used a JSH before? Its not slow