OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 04:13 
Super User

Hi guys,
I've read so many good things about the Mat Pro being one of the best Def blades made. And I wondered does it suit a modern def style game?

I'm using a Joo blade at present and how would these two blades differ?

If I can't get my hands on a Mat Pro blade, what out there at the moment is really close to the Mat Pro?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 09:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Took me a while to figure out what a "Mat Pro" was.. :lol:

In Malay it sounds like a generic appellation for pro players, the equivalent in English would probably be something like "Johnny Pro". You'd probably see it as the title of a humorous cartoon, perhaps, or in the title of a list of things Pro players have ("Johnny Pro's Top Things" - fast cars, beautiful girlfriends - I mean soccer pros, not table tennis ones... :lol: ).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 22:55 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I played with it in the speed glue times. I have also tried it number of times lately.

Mat pro is kind of opposite of JSH blade. It's slow, mushy feeling and long dwell time. It's quite close to Defplay is speed, but it has more mushier feeling. For me it's playable, but too slow.

What I have seen your videos, I don't think it's a right blade for you.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 03:43 
Super User

Roy wrote:
I played with it in the speed glue times. I have also tried it number of times lately.

Mat pro is kind of opposite of JSH blade. It's slow, mushy feeling and long dwell time. It's quite close to Defplay is speed, but it has more mushier feeling. For me it's playable, but too slow.

What I have seen your videos, I don't think it's a right blade for you.

Thank you Roy. I will give it a miss then. I'm swapping around between JSH and Bty Defence IV at the moment. Presumably Defence IV is similar to the old Defence II, do you know?

Recently I changed from Tenergy 05 to Tenergy 05 fx and I think my forehand is better. More control and dwell time and I feel like my counters away from the table are more consistent.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 13:25 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I use Mat Pro Alpha which has a layer of Arylate in there - No carbon. Still soft, still a bit mooshy so it keeps that soft bounce off the pips, but enough pace to really put some work on my forehand. I play a quite aggressive pips game, with a lot of 4th/5th ball attacks so that to me is crucial.

However I believe it's discontinued and really, really hard to find. would take some serious convincing to part with one of mine, which means my advice may be completely useless! :rofl:

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 17:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
I use Mat Pro Alpha which has a layer of Arylate in there - No carbon. Still soft, still a bit mooshy so it keeps that soft bounce off the pips, but enough pace to really put some work on my forehand. I play a quite aggressive pips game, with a lot of 4th/5th ball attacks so that to me is crucial.

However I believe it's discontinued and really, really hard to find. would take some serious convincing to part with one of mine, which means my advice may be completely useless! :rofl:

do you think its similar to the defplay ?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 22:42 
Super User

for me, these are very good substitutes :
-Butterfly Defence Pro
-Donic Defplay Senso
-Butterfly Innershield Def
-Victas Koji Matsushita
-Victas Koji Matsushita Def
-Tibhar Stratus Power Defence

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 11:22 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

peterpong wrote:

do you think its similar to the defplay ?

It's at least a whole step faster. It is geared to a more agressive game - If i was playing pips with sponge or short pips or Anti - i would probably be seeking a different blade more like defplay. The best part for me on this blade is because it is so mushy, your feel particularly off the pips is really spot on, and the soft chop block I find very easy to double bounce.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 23:31 
Super User

Had a couple Butterfly Matsushita Pros. Very flexible, so you get different shot results from slightly different parts of the blade. Another way of saying, it has a small sweet spot, needs a lot of practice to be very precise and consistent with it. Broke both of them eventually, they are pretty fragile.
Defplay Senso does seem quite similar to me. It may have a bigger sweet spot than the M Pro.

I think the Joo is much easier to use, even though faster, because it has a bigger sweet spot, you can be off a little and still make a good shot.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 04:11 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
fleetwood999 wrote:
Had a couple Butterfly Matsushita Pros. Very flexible, so you get different shot results from slightly different parts of the blade. Another way of saying, it has a small sweet spot, needs a lot of practice to be very precise and consistent with it. Broke both of them eventually, they are pretty fragile.
Defplay Senso does seem quite similar to me. It may have a bigger sweet spot than the M Pro.

I think the Joo is much easier to use, even though faster, because it has a bigger sweet spot, you can be off a little and still make a good shot.

Interesting, because I find the Defplay to have a larger sweet spot than the Joo..

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 11:34 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
fleetwood999 wrote:

Interesting, because I find the Defplay to have a larger sweet spot than the Joo..

I did say the sweetspot on the Defplay seemed bigger than the M Pro, but my time playing with the Defplay is limited. I own one, but don't use it. The similarities I see are mostly about the construction, the wood type and layer thickness seem to match up well with the M Pro.
I've used the Joo a lot. To me it gets its control from very good stability over the whole face. Of course not all individual blades are equal by any means. Maybe the Joo I have has a larger sweetspot and is more solid and stiff than usual or maybe yours is unusual. There are always going to be "outliers" among factory blades, clearly the weight on the supposed same blade can vary 5 grams or more.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 11:18 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0

Hey good to know that you still use the blade we traded... i still have the def 2 too.
But the Mat pro SPECIAL is the one that have carbon in it...

I play a lot with victas matsushita, that some say is close to mat pro. its not fast, but i like it a lot.