OOAK Table Tennis Forum
http://ooakforum.com/

Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=32177
Page 1 of 1

Author:  birding&table.tennis [ 28 Nov 2017, 13:03 ]
Post subject:  Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

Yesterday, after removing a sheet of Tenergy 80-FX from one of my Joo blades, I was surprised that the blade was covered in a thin greasy, oily layer! There were no small pieces of glues, just this thin liquid layer that felt like grease. I never had this happen before. In another OOAK Forum post, it was suggested that the greasy layer could be removed by rubbing the blade with a used sheet on rubber. I used an old TSP Curl P1R rubber, and a paper towel, and the greasy layer was indeed nicely removed.

I have three questions.

(1) Does anyone know how this greasy layer is formed? I can make one guess, which may very well be wrong. The glue that I used may have been a couple of years old. It was Donic Vario clean glue. Could old glue account for the greasy layer?

(2) Is it possible that the blade has ben damaged?

(3) If I didn't remove the greasy layer, would there have been any difference in the performance of my racket?

Thanks

Steven

Author:  rokphish2 [ 28 Nov 2017, 13:15 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

birding&table.tennis wrote:
Yesterday, after removing a sheet of Tenergy 80-FX from one of my Joo blades, I was surprised that the blade was covered in a thin greasy, oily layer! There were no small pieces of glues, just this thin liquid layer that felt like grease. I never had this happen before. In another OOAK Forum post, it was suggested that the greasy layer could be removed by rubbing the blade with a used sheet on rubber. I used an old TSP Curl P1R rubber, and a paper towel, and the greasy layer was indeed nicely removed.

I have three questions.

(1) Does anyone know how this greasy layer is formed? I can make one guess, which may very well be wrong. The glue that I used may have been a couple of years old. It was Donic Vario clean glue. Could old glue account for the greasy layer?

(2) Is it possible that the blade has ben damaged?

(3) If I didn't remove the greasy layer, would there have been any difference in the performance of my racket?

Thanks

Steven


2. Maybe, maybe not. Dry the blade thoroughly before using/gluing again. Just put it in a dry warm place for several days.

3. Yes, but you might not notice at first.

Author:  haggisv [ 28 Nov 2017, 13:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

I can't say I've ever seen that, and I would have glued/reglued thousands of bats over the years (with that same glue). The solvent for this glue is water, and I've never seen it 'go off' in any way, apart from it just hardening over time.
The glue should normally be touch-dry when the rubber & blade are put together, so that should not be the issue by itself.
I suspect it's booster from the rubber (perhaps excessively boosted by the factory or someone else) that's leaked out of the rubber onto the blade surface. These types of oils generally don't damage the blade surface, so if there is no visible damage the blade is probably ok.

Author:  birding&table.tennis [ 30 Nov 2017, 12:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

rokphish2 and haggisv,

Thanks so much for your helpful comments. My Joo blade seems to play normally, so I think that all is fine. The suggestion by haggisv sure is interesting. I don't if this means that I could have had a fake sheet of tenergy, as the rubber did play well. I will probably be concerned the next time that I remove an old sheet of tenergy.

Thanks again.

Steven

Author:  man_iii [ 03 Dec 2017, 03:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

I have recently seen this happen becos the person boosting hasn't got common sense to apply very thin layers of booster. The Tenergy sponge is porous and soaks in too much booster. After couple of months all the oil has nowhere to go except get squeezed out onto the blade. The rubber pops off the blade due the oil being there and when trying to reglue you end up with a mess of booster on blade and sponge surfaces. Cleaning it I usually have some baby talcum powder but that gets EVERYWHERE. No easy solution to get it cleaned up.

Kids don't boost your rubbers and if you don't know how to boost check with ppl who have done it first before attempting on your own. Also a thousand times listen to decent advice when ppl tell you things like "it isnt worth it" or "it isnt reliable" or "dont do it" :lol:

Author:  iskandar taib [ 04 Dec 2017, 01:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

I'll bet the original poster never even boosted the Tenergy... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

Author:  Red [ 04 Dec 2017, 18:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

My guess is the glue is the culprit here. With a booster overdose the rubbers wouldn't stick appropriately to the blade.
I don't know if it's due to overaging or that the glue has some ingredient that offers high viscosity while still beeing sticky - which probably would allow re-attaching without reglueing.

Author:  birding&table.tennis [ 05 Dec 2017, 11:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

iskandar taib wrote:
I'll bet the original poster never even boosted the Tenergy... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar


iskandar taib,

I am the original poster. As I chop more than 90% of the time on my forehand, boosting would very unreasonable for me.

Steven

Author:  birding&table.tennis [ 05 Dec 2017, 11:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

Red wrote:
My guess is the glue is the culprit here. With a booster overdose the rubbers wouldn't stick appropriately to the blade.
I don't know if it's due to overaging or that the glue has some ingredient that offers high viscosity while still beeing sticky - which probably would allow re-attaching without reglueing.


Red,

I used used Donic Vario Clean Glue, one of the most popular water based glues. I have used new and old glues, and this has been a new experience for me. The possible explanation of haggisv sure is interesting to me (see above).

Steven

Author:  Attacker [ 05 Dec 2017, 16:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

Yes, extensive boosting can lead to such a sticky residue, although in this case the suspect Mighty have been the glue used.

Author:  alphapong [ 05 Dec 2017, 17:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

I have seen a layer of slime when water based and solvent based glues are mixed.

Was the Tenergy new when you glued it with the Donic water based glue? If it was a used sheet that had a build up of older solvent based glue, and then it was glued with water based glue, that could leave a slimy residue.

Not long ago someone ruined my rubber cement dispenser when they took the brush and applied water based glue with it. I ended up having to pitch the whole thing in the garbage.

Author:  birding&table.tennis [ 07 Dec 2017, 14:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Greasy/Oily blade after removing rubber

alphapong wrote:
I have seen a layer of slime when water based and solvent based glues are mixed.

Was the Tenergy new when you glued it with the Donic water based glue? If it was a used sheet that had a build up of older solvent based glue, and then it was glued with water based glue, that could leave a slimy residue.

Not long ago someone ruined my rubber cement dispenser when they took the brush and applied water based glue with it. I ended up having to pitch the whole thing in the garbage.


alphapong,

It was indeed a new sheet of Tenergy, out of the package. I used only Donic water based glue. Interestingly, at our local table tennis club yesterday, one person told me he heard that Tenergy rubber has recently undergone some chemical change similar to factory boosting in response to the plastic ball. That would match my experience with my greasy blade and the suggestion of haggisv. However, I couldn't any support of this idea on the web.

Steven

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/