OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: yinhe N-'s' series?
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 00:32 

anyone know what the new 's' versions adds to yinhe's N-series blades? seems they're identical in all aspects except different colour schemes on handle and maybe better QC? reviews also tend to rate the same N-blade's S-versions slightly faster than the originals.

Post subject: Re: yinhe N-'s' series?
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 14:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I doubt anyone has bought a significant number of Ns, which is what it would take to make a general statement. But as far as I can tell a N11s is more or less the same as a N11, except it's not as smooth. And I was able to get 80g N11(s), while the lightest N11s in stock when I ordered one was 84g.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 10:51 

iskandar taib wrote:
I doubt anyone has bought a significant number of Ns, which is what it would take to make a general statement. But as far as I can tell a N11s is more or less the same as a N11, except it's not as smooth. And I was able to get 80g N11(s), while the lightest N11s in stock when I ordered one was 84g.

Iskandar

ah, well single comparisons and anecdotes are also useful (at least to me :lol: ).

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 12:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You must admit, if they had to choose a naming scheme that would make it difficult to distinguish between the newer bats (e.g. N11s) and the plural of the old bats (e.g. N11, plural N11s), they couldn't have done a better job... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 13:32 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

I have owned the N-3, N-7, N-8, N-9, and N-11, but have never owned any S-series. They look identical, probably just a design refresh. Was thinking about getting an N-8s and a N-10s but ended up only getting rubbers to keep shipping down.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 07:28 

alright so, for whatever it might be worth, i compared my years old N-9 with an N-9s i've been using for a few weeks with the exact same old rubber sheet (a DHS G666), with like 5 hours of play time each (i reglued it not just first on the new N-9s, but then back on the N-9 to also equalise any old-glue vs. new-glue differences, for which i used the same VOC-free glue btw). my conclusions:

- the N-9s has more feel; vibrates more, dwell feels higher
- speed does not seem much different; if there is any it is minimal
- despite feeling like it has a higher dwell, spin is not in any way noticeably different either
- unrelated to performance but the N-9s actually has slightly worse QC it seems; the sanding at the end of the conic handle towards the bottom is noticeably assymetrical, while on the N-9 it was near-perfectly symmetrical
- the N-9s sweet spot feels huge compared to the N-9; i had many hits that lost a lot of speed from hitting the ball near the edge on the N-9 but the N-9s seemed to forgive me in almost all instances where i got close to the edge

so yeah again this is just a test with two different blades and even the best QC does not guarantee it being 1:1 (and here i am comparing a blade used for almost 2 years, which is a factor even though i never hit or damaged it), but i hope it was useful anyways.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 12:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, exactly. Even with perfect QC you'll have variations between blades of the same type. What you SHOULD do to make a comparison is:

1) Weigh the blades. Do keep in mind that blades, even very expensive ones, can have HUGE weight ranges.

2) Measure the blade THICKNESS. Use a micrometer or vernier calipers at least. WELL MADE blades (pretty much all the Yinhe blades I've come across) shouldn't vary very much thickness-wise. Not-so-well-made blades (e.g. Sanwei M8) can vary 0.2-0.4mm or even more between examples. If they made a change from the non-s to s series, it might show up in the thickness. Again, to be scientific, you'd need to measure more then one example from each type.

3) Examine the layers. One easy way to do this is to use a flatbed scanner to get a "butt shot" of each blade. E.g.:

(Interesting... Dropbox links can't be in-lined..)

I think 200 dpi should work.

The playing comparison (what you did) is also necessary, of course, but the above will at least tell us something about whether they've made physical changes to tbe blade's manufacture.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 03:57 

i did all the above with both my old n-9 and newer n-9s, and the differences were:

- total 5-ply width for both was *barely* in the 0.1mm difference range (the n-9s being barely ~0.1mm thicker); i could hardly tell which ply was the thicker one unless i magnified, which showed me it was the thick center ply.
- weight difference was minimal; n-9 84.9g, n9s 86.2g
- while i don't know about all the different wood types and names, composition seems to be the exact same 5-ply setup for both, with what i'll describe as (from outside to inside):
* beige-ish thin ply
* twice as thick cream-coloured ply
* thick, hazelnut-coloured center ply
- an interesting thing to note, which might influence weight, is that on the new n-9s the CTTAA seal is on the side of the handle along the inner plies, while the n-9 has the seal on the traditional bottom side of the handle, but it's burned in much thicker and it seems also deeper than on the n-9s (this could easily remove a lot of mgs)

iskandar taib wrote:
Again, to be scientific, you'd need to measure more then one example from each type.
Iskandar

so yes, still this applies of course lol.