OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:21 

Blade: re-impact taichi plus
FH: tenergy 05 max
BH: hallmark friction special
Few days ago I go beat badly by a good player.

Go in to the game, I thought I would have a shot at him.

I was using RE-IMPACT Tachi Plus and spinlord Blitzchlag long pips.

after he beat the heck out of me, he said that the reverse spin from the long pip is not GOOD enough.
He said he adapted to the disruption of the long pip during the first game. The rest was down hill for him.
I was forced to switch from shakehand to penhold style ( at least I could attack on my backhand)
So my question is , which this kind of good players where High Disruptions has no effect.
Where I need to use a more reverse spin rubber and try to move ball from side to side.
What kind of long pip rubber is good for that ?
Could someone recommend a few ? ( I want pure reverse spin , no need to emphasize on disruption)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:28 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Doesn't matter which LP you use if your opponent is a) better than you and b) decent against pimples.

At the end of the day, he's better than you. Pretty much that simple.

There are a good number of highly-ranked professional defenders using LPs. If they can beat top players using LPs like Curl P1-R and Feint Long II/III, the problem doesn't lie with the rubber.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:35 

dunc wrote:
Doesn't matter which LP you use if your opponent is a) better than you and b) decent against pimples.

At the end of the day, he's better than you. Pretty much that simple.

There are a good number of highly-ranked professional defenders using LPs. If they can beat top players using LPs like Curl P1-R and Feint Long II/III, the problem doesn't lie with the rubber.

he explicitly asked me to get a more reverse spin rubber. He said with the new ball , it is useless , unless more reverse spin is put on. ( tell me to ignore disruption, just move ball side to side)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:43 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Does he mean a rubber which has more reversal capabilities, or a rubber which can put more backspin on the ball?

Either way - it won't suddenly mean you can beat him :)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:56 

dunc wrote:
Does he mean a rubber which has more reversal capabilities, or a rubber which can put more backspin on the ball?

Either way - it won't suddenly mean you can beat him :)

He is a super quick attacker, he said the backspin to him has absolutely zero affect and he admit the rubber has high disruption but he got use to it during first game.

I am a close to the table player who block close to the table and attack with forehand. He added the only way to win point with him using long pip is more backspin when he hits it and make him move side to side to weaken his power attack.

The first thing that come to my mind is old Grass D-tech , but that is illegal.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 01:55 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: TTR-Killer
I would advise you not to listen to him and to not change anything. It's normal when attackers try to tell pip-players how they should use their pips. Or what should they do to win.. But the problem is, most of the times, these attackers judge only from their attacking perspective - they really don't understand very well how a pips player needs to play to win. They may have played against pips but most of the times they haven't tried playing with pips :)
Changing pips is just a lame advice from an attacker. I think the top players who are playing with 1.6 sponges with almost nonexistent passive reversal would strongly disagree.
So that's my opinion about his words about changing the pips.
But what you should try to understand from his words is that, if he got used to your game after the first set, then it means that you played either too predictable or too simple (same spins, same placements). May be you didn't mix it up enough..
And another thing: if the guy is much better then it's normal that you couldn't disturb him. It's really as simple as that - just what dunc said :)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 13:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I also echo what the others say above. If the players is better than you and knows how to play against pimples, then you simply can't rely on just reversal or disruption, you need to do more. You can move him around more, try some chop-blocks against his topspin to create a lot more backspin (compared to just blocking it), you can play more aggressive against any backspin ball. Plenty of options you can work on.
I suggest you try and practice a few of these options, and then see if you can get the opportunity to play the same guy again... see if you can trouble him more this time.... it's a great opportunity to lift you game.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 14:29 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Also I wouldn't be offended by his comments. Not unusual in my experience for players to discuss what they found easy or difficult during a game. I'd take what he said about changing your rubbers with a grain of salt though. Entirely up to you, but Blitzchlag is a good LP.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 03:20 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Tell him if he wants more spin reversal, then brush loop the ball harder!

How was he winning against you? Your blocks bounce long off the table and he loops them back? Were they high and he smashed them back? Did you play to his strong point too much?

Could just be better than you...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 18:49 

Blade: Dr neubauer High Tech
FH: Victas V15 extra
BH: TSP P3 ox
Whem I'm being beaten by a better player, there are 2 things I try (mind the word choice 'try' instead of 'do') :

1) Better placement
All players have a weak spot. Try to find it. Pin him down on his BH and then place a deep FH. Or sometime they are good from the corners but have trouble when ball comes through the middle.

2) being more agressive / more variation in spin.
Every game, you start with you most 'relaxed', most 'effective' technique/mindset. But when that doesn't work (read: you are beaten) you need to step up. Try to attack a little earlier yourself or play that attacking shot instead of a defensive one.

Ofcourse there is a real chance you will make too much errors and you will even loose harder. But once in a while that little extra aggression is enough to throw your opponent off balance and get you back in the match. And if that is not the case ... well ... I always say "I deserved to loose" :)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 00:47 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

For most players of a reasonable level LP is relatively easy to play against. Unlike with inverted it is difficult to achieve any deception with LP - if they push and u push then its no spin, if they attack and you block or chop then its backspin. Rather look to a rubber change it is best just to focus on improving your game as a whole - better attack, faster, more consistent etc.