OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 01:25 

Blade: Donic Waldner BlackDevil
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Donic Coppa S1
Hi everyone, I am a newbie. Just saw this website and registered. Anyhow I started playing back table tennis 6 months ago (stopped for 17 years). I bought some equipment but I don't think it suits my playing style. I used to play for my country as a Junior and even made the Men's Team before I stopped playing. I believe my level was around 2200-2400 in that region before I stopped because I used to beat players ranking in that range who used to play tournaments in the US. Anyhow I am an all rounder yet I top-spin mainly from both sides and block alot as well. I do prefer spinning than driving especially from my BH. Before I stopped playing I used to use a Butterfly Power Drive blade but that was with the 38mm ball and things are far different now with the 40+ and those blades have been discontinued. I am now using a Donic Waldner BlackDevil but it has no dwell in time and I always feel like I am driving the ball. Hence I am looking for a OFF or OFF+ blade that is light weight around 80g(not more than 85g), Dimensions around 157 x 150 (definitely not bigger than this), Speed 9.0, Control 9.5 or more, Stiffness around 4.0-5.0, Hardness around same 4.0-5.0 and Consistency around 9.5-10. Cost less than $150US. If you know of any good suggestions please reply. Thanks in Advance

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 01:45 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Hello, ~2300 'newbie' (this feels so weird...).

Since your level vastly exceeds mine, I'd avoid recommending specific blade (OK, may be Viscaria or similar, since most of high level players seem to use it), but rather suggest trying them out in a club setting by borrowing few setups from your friends. Also - I would ignore most of numerical ratings you list, since they are not really that accurate or objective.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 03:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Find yourself a off- wood blade and go at it. I personally prefer blades with ZLF material as it still has feel and consistency throughout the blade.

Also the new ball is considerably harder and bigger which may be why you feel like your hitting everything. Some of the plastic balls feel considerably harder than others too.

Also welcome back :)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 03:25 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
The two 2000+ people at my club both use Timo Boll ZLC with Tenergy 64 on the forehand and Tenergy 05 on the backhand.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 04:37 

Thank you all. I have been looking at the Timo Boll blades and few others. I was looking through this website below and it listed many blades with specs and that is why I put in those specs.

https://revspin.net/top-blade/speed-desc.html

Anyhow I used to play for Jamaica and in Jamaiva alot of ppl use Donic since we have a dealer here. There is only few Butterfly stuff available so that is why I even posted because most likely I am going to have to order online.

You guys probably know Micheal Hyatt, he was one of my team mates back in the day...

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180328-140445.png
Screenshot_20180328-140445.png [ 395.56 KiB | Viewed 1843 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 07:10 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Power Drive was a hinoki/cypress top blade wasn't it? I'd just look for another similar one. I think Donic now have a couple of them (89 series?). Alternatively see if you can try a butterfly composite blade before you buy one.

The Donic black devil is a balsa core blade off the top of my head and a different overall feel to others.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 07:31 

Silver wrote:
Power Drive was a hinoki/cypress top blade wasn't it? I'd just look for another similar one. I think Donic now have a couple of them (89 series?). Alternatively see if you can try a butterfly composite blade before you buy one.

The Donic black devil is a balsa core blade off the top of my head and a different overall feel to others.

Yes it was a Hinoki and I adored it. Is just that because the ball is bigger and heavier I believe I need a little faster blade now...

Attachments:
2018-03-28_17.57.34.jpg
2018-03-28_17.57.34.jpg [ 655.83 KiB | Viewed 1802 times ]

Last edited by sketzshane on 29 Mar 2018, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 07:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Plenty of fast hinoki blades still around but I guess popularity has decreased a bit from 10 yrs ago.

Harder top plies seem more popular these days. I would echo previous comments about the timo composite material blades.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 08:13 

Silver wrote:
Plenty of fast hinoki blades still around but I guess popularity has decreased a bit from 10 yrs ago.

Harder top plies seem more popular these days. I would echo previous comments about the timo composite material blades.

So true and I keep seeing most persons singing about Timo Boll blades. I just start researching since few persons here said I am to look at the Viscaria and ZLFs and they seem decent.

I really wish I could find someone that had 1 of these to steal a bounce with... Right now I think I leaning to buy the Timo Boll ZLF since it is around 85g and that is 1 of the reasons I loved my Power drive because it was 86g and I hate 90g or heavier blades because I am on the slender side...

I going to research and see what Donic 89series I could try as well.

Thanks much!!!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 20:58 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Although no personal experience of Off blades, going for a not too stiff blade and with softer outer plies such as Limba may be the answer to getting more dwell/control from the blade. The Xiom Vega Pro blade is supposed to be a good example and is in your weight range:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28069

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 03:32 

ChasFox wrote:
Although no personal experience of Off blades, going for a not too stiff blade and with softer outer plies such as Limba may be the answer to getting more dwell/control from the blade. The Xiom Vega Pro blade is supposed to be a good example and is in your weight range:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28069

Ok I was researching and the Viscaria is approximately around 90-91g so that is off my list... So it is either the Butterfly Timo Boll VLF or the Xiom Vega Pro since they are both lighter. The only other major differences that would effect me buying 1 from the other is that I am seeing is that the VLF is almost $230US and I am seeing the Pro for $140 upwards yet the Pro has slight bigger dimensions 157x152 and I prefer the standard 157x150 and it is. Not sure if there is any other difference I need to be looking at since all the reviews I am seeing shows that both have great feeling, good control, good for top spinning and playing close to the table in which is how I play.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 04:01 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Quite a few people cut down the Vega Pro to the size they prefer

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 06:08 

ChasFox wrote:
Quite a few people cut down the Vega Pro to the size they prefer

Thanks going to research that!!!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 09:28 

I made up my mind that is either the Timo Boll ALC or Xiom Vega Pro but I wish I could get reviews of persons that played with both (yes want to hear their findings). I think I am leaning more to the ALC since it is more widely used yet almost all the reviews I have seen about the Pro seems like it's a great blade except for the sanding to have to do...

Was wondering if it was better for me to start a new thread but....