OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Larger Blade Size
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 11:17 

Blade: SpinLord UltraCarbon
FH: SpinLord Ocelot Medium
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz
Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered - I promise I tried to delve deep into the areas I could think to check, but there's so much to read that I easily could have missed it.

As I sit and ponder a different blade due to my balsa fears, I've come to wonder also about the role of blade size in a defensive play style.

It seems that I've read in a number of places that it's beneficial, and I see that blades for this purpose have a tendency to be larger.

Why is that? I'm very curious as to what the trade-offs would be in making such a change.

I can see using the Ultra Carbon as an example that going from the standard head to the defensive size apparently reduces the speed of the blade jumps down from roughly OFF- to DEF+ - which seems like a pretty sizable differences to be attributed solely to the surface area?

Any insight, or links to insight overlooked, would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Larger Blade Size
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 11:30 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Reniculous wrote:
Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered - I promise I tried to delve deep into the areas I could think to check, but there's so much to read that I easily could have missed it.

As I sit and ponder a different blade due to my balsa fears, I've come to wonder also about the role of blade size in a defensive play style.

It seems that I've read in a number of places that it's beneficial, and I see that blades for this purpose have a tendency to be larger.

Why is that? I'm very curious as to what the trade-offs would be in making such a change.

I can see using the Ultra Carbon as an example that going from the standard head to the defensive size apparently reduces the speed of the blade jumps down from roughly OFF- to DEF+ - which seems like a pretty sizable differences to be attributed solely to the surface area?

Any insight, or links to insight overlooked, would be greatly appreciated!
The 2nd simplest difference is,

big blade resist fanning more than small blade. ;)

This means any movement that involved chopping slashing brushing like chopping, blocking and looping could be done easier.

The opposite also hold true, hitting and smashing became more difficult, the blade held up more by its weight and air drag.

The most obvious difference would be,

Your blocking shield size larger :P

I used 17 cm * 16 cm Butterfly Defence Alpha, and any blade look small to me now. :P

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 11:59 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Reniculous wrote:

That's interesting. Hard to imagine only surface area being responsible. I recall reading on Re-Impact's website that for any particular blade the speed varies only marginally between the 3 different blade sizes.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 14:02 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I use a Spinlord Ultra Carbon Defense. It has the same composition as a normal spinlord ultra carbon. The blade face is slightly bigger on the defense model with a corresponding slower speed rating. However the SUCD still plays at approximately OFF minus, speed is a very subjective difficult to define parameter. All that being said, in my opinion the 2 different speed ratings for a SUCD and a SUC actually reflect playing styles not the inherent speed attributed to each different blade. I hope this makes sense.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 16:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Extra area for rolling the ball on the rubber's surface...

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 17:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Reniculous wrote:
Hello,

i have cut several defence blades down that are flexible.this reduces the flex and catapult effect.
the f/h is then less cumbersome and the blade is a little stiffer and faster.